Bait or lure?

Bait or lure?

• Total voters
K
Kais
In my opinion from fishing the lakes that get stocked, I don't remember seeing anybody ever cath a trout using any kind of lure.

I want to know Everybody's Opinion, Which is better to use to catch trout, Lures, Or bait ( such as Powerbait)

T
Throbbit _Shane
im not voting :D since the 2 rod permit came out iv used lures and bait at the same time. but some days i wont even use bait just depends. buy some panther martin spinners they work the best in my opinion.

troutdude
troutdude
I just voted for bait. But, I also have a 2 rod license. With my first rod (bank fishing), I toss in some Power Eggs OFF the bottom. Then I try a wobbler, spinner, or bubble n' fly combo with the second rod. When I find (quickly) what works best--then I use that method w/ both rods. I've limited out in as little a 1/2 hour doing that.

S
strawberry shortcake
My vote was bait but when I use a lure (like a wedding ring or some other hard lure), I always bait it with a worm or insect. My dad however, swore on lures alone and he had 100's of them.

troutdude
troutdude
I have sworn at a lot of lures too...

when they don't get any bites! LOL

(I actually have quite a lot of fish on lures...with or without bait on them)

T
the_intimidator03
Ive had good sucess fooling stockers on hardware and flies at Junction City Pond and alton baker park. I think a lot of it has to do with the mindset of the fisherman or fisherwoman what kind of day you want... do you want to activly seek fish or kick back with a pole in the sticks bait on the bottom?

troutdude
troutdude
I actively do both, with my two rod license. Then switch to whatever works best, with both rods. Most often, if you're in a good pocket, you'll get more fish with Power Eggs. At least, that's been my experience. Just my .02 worth. And, maybe it is just because I have somehow mastered the Power Egg technique better than casting a spinner or wobbler?

Ummm...come to think of it. It's impossible to cast n' retrieve w/ two rods at the same time. So, if lures are working best at a given moment...I rig up my favorite 5' UL rod (Lamiglass old school hollow fiberglass), with the lure and go to work! Even catching an 8" on that rod, makes it feel like a steelie!!!

Last edited:
L
Left Bank
troutdude said:
I actively do both, with my two rod license. Then switch to whatever works best, with both rods.

x2

troutdude
troutdude
I just LOVES my 2 rod license. I have had doubles on many times. The only thing to do, is figure out which fish is bigger and set the other rod down! LOL

S
strawberry shortcake
On a fast smaller river with lots of hiding places, it doesn't matter what you use, you still must hunt for fish. That is why I prefer smaller river fishing to large slow river or lake fishing either from the bank or trolling. With large slow rivers and lakes, it seems to me that I am trying to get the fish to come to me. Navigating the land and banks of fast smaller rivers, and being able to read the many different and ever changing hiding places on the river is half the fun. I like to say, "I found you!" when I get a strike.

K
Kais
So it seems to be about even, most people saying they do both with a two rod license, and others swearing by the lure.
I guess you need to be more active when you have lure as opposed to just sitting there, which might make it more fun.

C
Caveman
Stocked trout can be taken on lures, or bait, or lures with bait... a lot depends on the body of water you are fishing and what approach you feel like taking.

O
OnTheFly
I think both bait or lures work equally. Why was there not an option for artificial flies on the poll?

B
bigsteel
flies

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
I think both bait or lures work equally. Why was there not an option for artificial flies on the poll?
becouse it would dominate over the ambush style of play dough bait.

K
Kais
Alrgiht, What do you guys think about flies?? Sorry I didn't put it in there. I just have never used them becuase I thought they were for fly poles Only.

But OK, So what do YOU guys think? Flies are better then bait, or lures, or better then bait and lures put together?

T
the_intimidator03
Well you can use a fly behind a clear casting bobber with 2-4 feet of leader from bobber down to fly on a spinning set up. I will say in fly fishing for the last 2-3 months ive yet to be skunked :p Sometimes i can't draw a bite on bait or lures but nail em on flies... sometimes its really slow on flies but that means its really slow for the bait fishermen too LOL so right now flies are my numero uno!

C
chrishophoto
I have never used bait in my life, and I do get plenty of trout. Last week I was up at Olallie and for a couple of hours I was getting a fish on an average of every other cast. I didn't bother keeping them, because I was looking for the big ones. I didn't get one this time, but it does happen every now and then. The week before, I caught an 18" out at Diamond Lake, but the fish there are just bigger than the ones up north.

-C

O
OnTheFly
I have been fly fishing for trout for so long that casting for them using spinning gear feels awkward. Most of the time (no brag just fact) I will catch more fish than the bait and hardware fishermen. Once in awhile a lure guy will do better. But regardless what method one chooses to fish, I just enjoy fishing with a (fly rod) over any other way.

Last edited:
S
SmallStreams
I use lures, predominantly spinners and switching to flies/crankbaits/wobblers/spoons if the spinners aren't working. But then, like strawberry shortcake, I don't generally fish lakes or slow rivers any more and it's rare for me to fish where the trout are stocked, so lures make releasing under-sized fish much easier.

If I'm interested in kicking back and not being active, then there is nothing like a worm or eggs under a bobber in a smaller lake while sitting in a chair chatting with friends. However, since I don't get enough activity working at a desk, it's better for me to go beating the brush around a small stream.

In small lakes and deep holes, a spinner works really well for covering the water quickly. If the bite is on, you'll quickly find the fish and you'll get the biggest ones first. During spawning season, it's really cool to watch the trout form a baitball chasing the spinner with the largest one shoving aside the smaller fish!

Last edited: