Bad tasting fish

Istouder25
Istouder25
Went to leaburg dam yesterday to catch some trout with my grandma. The ones I kept all had white meat, except one with a slight pink tint. All tasted like rubber. Anyone else have this experience? I usually eat trout from the river and they taste fine

B
BrandonBeach
Planter trout..........ya that’s been my experience with them, from soft and tasteless to dirt like flavor.

Even worse after being frozen..Smoke or pickle them

I let them go Mostly, did keep a couple of brooders and they were ok...

For what it’s worth.

BB

Reactions: Troutski and Istouder25
Istouder25
Istouder25
Every brood or trophy iv caught had more tasty meat as well

Reactions: NKlamerus
P
pinstriper
Yeah, pretty standard for pelletheads.

troutdude
troutdude
Totally agree. Planted 'bows only eat food pellets, and not naturally found foods. The longer that planted fish remain in a stream, or lake, and eat natural foods...the better and better they will begin to improve and taste. I only catch and release planted fish, even the brooders. As they are fish that are all spawned out; and also rarely have good flavor as well.

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
BrandonBeach
I caught two planted trout, an 18 inch and a 19 1/2 incher a couple weeks ago, don’t think they were holdovers. Took them home as they were bright and feisty. Deep heavy trout. Both cleared water multiple times. Was fun..

Filleted and Baked them with light seasoning, Pink meat both, they tasted like steelhead. Was good dinner, served over wild rice and baby asparagus.

That said, I have seen those dark spawned out dark brooders, not sure I would eat those.

BB

Reactions: Istouder25
H
hookturn
Those are the stocked trout. They're raised in ponds and fed pellet food. Terrible, not worth keeping, just take care to remove the hook and throw them back. Native trout do not have white meat.
The stoked trout, if they don't die, will eventually get bigger, eating the good food that trout eat.

Troutski
Troutski
Istouder25 I know exactly what you mean, my Son and I started fishing at Leaburg Lake. The stocker fish do have a habit of chilling at the main pool, lots of food there (anglers using bait). We noticed that the furthest we got away from the main pool there were larger and better fish. I recommend the boat ramp at Goodpastur (just below the bridge; wade up stream and try to be as quite as possible. I recommend Gold 1/4 oz spoons and Roostertails (Salmon Fly Brown). You need to fish deep, that is where the fish hang out. If you happen to have some red or orange lure tape add a small stripe on the underneath the Blade or spoon. The Fish come up from behind and just a small flash of red will entice a strike.
Stay safe on the water, take a friend with and share the fun and safety.

Tight lines
Chuck

• Wow
Reactions: Istouder25 and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
hookturn said:
Those are the stocked trout. They're raised in ponds and fed pellet food. Terrible, not worth keeping, just take care to remove the hook and throw them back. Native trout do not have white meat.
The stoked trout, if they don't die, will eventually get bigger, eating the good food that trout eat.

Guess you didn't read what I wrote above? 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
As a young person in Shasta County CA I used to be friends with the hatchery keeper at Baum Lake near Hat Creek. They fed pellet stuff but I don't if it was the same back in 68 to 72. There were so few people in the woods in those years. I lived in Burney. There wasn't as much need for hatchery stocking the waters. We used to catch Browns up to 7 pounds or so with our hands under ledges in creeks etc. Brookies, rainbows, all wild and pink. I wouldn't even eat a pellet fish. Now at 65, after 45 years of not fishing, I just decided to start up before Im too old to crank a reel, lol, and it saddens me that we have to stock so much due to what weve done.. Catching a hatchery fish just doesn't interest me at all.

Istouder25
Istouder25
Troutski said:
Istouder25 I know exactly what you mean, my Son and I started fishing at Leaburg Lake. The stocker fish do have a habit of chilling at the main pool, lots of food there (anglers using bait). We noticed that the furthest we got away from the main pool there were larger and better fish. I recommend the boat ramp at Goodpastur (just below the bridge; wade up stream and try to be as quite as possible. I recommend Gold 1/4 oz spoons and Roostertails (Salmon Fly Brown). You need to fish deep, that is where the fish hang out. If you happen to have some red or orange lure tape add a small stripe on the underneath the Blade or spoon. The Fish come up from behind and just a small flash of red will entice a strike.
Stay safe on the water, take a friend with and share the fun and safety.

Tight lines
Chuck
Is that the one by knickerbocker bridge? Alton baker disc golf?

Troutski
Troutski
Istouder25 said:
Is that the one by knickerbocker bridge? Alton baker disc golf?
No, this lake is on the Mackenzie near the town of leaburg, about 30 min up river from Springfield.

Chuck

Reactions: Istouder25