Backpacking/fishing

E

ethan213

Hey all. I am in the process of planning a backpacking trip, and fishing is something I'd like to do when I'm out. I have backpacked to numerous lakes with good amounts of fish in Mt Hood and elsewhere, but A LOT of the places are closed due to wildfires. I am thinking about Santiam Lake, just because I've been there before and know there are wild fish, but am hesitant due to the banning of campfires (really want a fire to keep the mosquitoes at bay but will settle for not having one if it means good fishing). Anyone have any recommendations?

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Please be aware of all the road closures as well as the numerous fires in the Santiam fishing area. Even if you don't see a fire, the root systems can still burn for months without detection. Check with as many agencies as possible before going into any of our forests. Be safe!

S

sixteenvolt

Stay close to major roads with the threat of wildfires this year. Sad season for fishing, but better to know where others are/they can find you vs. being stuck out there.

O

olshiftybiscuits

As much as it sucks to say, my advice would be to take this year off of backpacking/fishing expeditions. Closures and imminent fire danger are going to make it tough and dangerous.

S

Smellsfishy

@ethan213 well, as of today you can't have ANY open flame east of I-5. But - for the sake of discussion... what hike-in lakes have you enjoyed fishing? (I'm also itching to hike/backpack to more remote lakes... get away from the crowds. Catch some fiesty brook trout, browns, etc. ) Planning trips if half of the fun for me, even if I wont be able to get out there this season. I'm specifically curious about remote lakes around Mt. Hood. Thx!

E

ethan213

@ethan213 well, as of today you can't have ANY open flame east of I-5. But - for the sake of discussion... what hike-in lakes have you enjoyed fishing? (I'm also itching to hike/backpack to more remote lakes... get away from the crowds. Catch some fiesty brook trout, browns, etc. ) Planning trips if half of the fun for me, even if I wont be able to get out there this season. I'm specifically curious about remote lakes around Mt. Hood. Thx!
Wow, that's crazy. I ended up going to Carl Lake in the Mt Jefferson area. The wind was crazy on the first day, but when it calmed down the second day the action was crazy. Fish jumped everywhere and some went for the worm that I threw. Hiked to the other side of the lake to fish the deeper parts. Not worth a day trip in my opinion, but the scenery and stars made for a perfect over nighter.

S

Smellsfishy

@ethan213 thanks for the intel on Carl Lake. I see that Cabot Lake is along the trail to Carl. Any fish in Cabot Lake?

E

ethan213

@ethan213 thanks for the intel on Carl Lake. I see that Cabot Lake is along the trail to Carl. Any fish in Cabot Lake?
much smaller and less pretty views, so we didn't stop by there. would imagine there have to be some if it doesn't freeze over in the winter, but the extra few miles of hiking to Carl is well worth it imo.