Backing and fly Line

T
TTFishon
A friend of mine gave me a cheapy fly reel that's kind of small. I want to get a bigger and better one one of these days but this one was free so I can't complain. My question is how much backing should I use since it's a small reel? Is there some kind of formula for this? The reel is a South Bend Finalist 1141. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M
metalfisher76
I still have a Pfueger 1494 AK Medalist. It`s small man, 3 1/2" in diameter at best. You should be able to get at least 100 yards of backing on it. Then buy a spool of Scientific Anglers Floating fly line. It`s cheap, but works purty good, if ya maintain it. If ya reel it all up and it`s too long you can cut off some of the backing, but I don`t think you`ll have an issue at 100 yards. Some will swear by formulas, but they`re just glorified line winders. I have a 9/10 wt reel on my 8 wt. Works great! Have fun!!!

T
TTFishon
Thanks metalfisher76. I want to start fly fishing again and maybe this will get me back into the swing of things.

O
OnTheFly
You can't go wrong with a hundred yards of 20lb backing like metalfisher suggested. I like to try and get as much backing on as possible so that the reel is maxed out after the fly line is installed. The larger the diameter the fly line is wound on, the less likely it will come off your reel in small tight loops. Many reels are designed in a way where the backing should be wound to cover the inner reveal holes in the spool and the fly line covers up the outer reveal holes.

Last edited:
G
Growbug
wind your fly line on to the reel BACKWARDS then tie on some backing and keep winding on until you have a nearly full reel.
Now take it ALL off and tie the end of the backing on and wind it all back on, if you can put the line under a slight tension when putting it back on, it will pack nicely and fill slightly less of the reel than it did before..
TADA perfect amount of backing to fill the reel.

O
OnTheFly
Growbug said:
wind your fly line on to the reel BACKWARDS then tie on some backing and keep winding on until you have a nearly full reel.
Now take it ALL off and tie the end of the backing on and wind it all back on, if you can put the line under a slight tension when putting it back on, it will pack nicely and fill slightly less of the reel than it did before..

Wow!:shock: That's a surefire method! I didn't know you guys who live out there at the back end of Molalla new this kind'o stuff.:D

G
Growbug
trial and error... and a copy of "Tap's Tips"

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
I started putting my own backing on after three failed attempts from the guys at Fishermens who thought I was nuts to put that much backing on my spool. I learned something today.Thanks for the tip!

T
TTFishon
Growbug said:

Great tip! Thanks!

G
GDBrown
Dah!

Dah!

Growbug said:

I thought everybody did it that way!:shock:

I got my first rod and reel from my buddy's father-in-law and that's the way he showed me how to do it back in 1973.

GD

For those looking to get into fly fishing on the cheap check CL and search for fly in the Recreation section. I found several nice rods and reels for less than $75. Some as low as $20 for a rod and reel with fly line and backing.

G
Growbug
GDBrown said:

They will now... Thanks to HG Tapply.
For those who dont know, this guy was THE Field and Stream columnist for .. well, forever. His son now does a column there. If you can, check out "Sportsmans Notebook and Tap's Tips" from the library. Also check out "The Fly Tyers Handbook" by the same guy

EDIT:
Actually, i dont know if i got that tip from Tapply, but, I will still credit him with it, as if he didn't write that one, he should have!

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
GDBrown said:

I got my first rod and reel from my buddy's father-in-law and that's the way he showed me how to do it back in 1973.

GD

For those looking to get into fly fishing on the cheap check CL and search for fly in the Recreation section. I found several nice rods and reels for less than $75. Some as low as $20 for a rod and reel with fly line and backing.

That's a good idea too. Thanks.

D
Doc Crappie
Growbug said:
trial and error... and a copy of "Tap's Tips"

great tip thanks