Back to basics!

H
hellj85
Hey everyone, I'm glad I've come across a place like this forum where people are friendly, and willing to share, in hopes of success for all!

I haven't been lake fishing for probably 10 years, and I'm really missing it after last year's poor salmon run through the Columbia.
In the more recent past I've really only done salt water ocean fishing...salmon, tuna, halibut etc. (and consequently mostly live bait). So I'm kinda lost on some of the terminology of you lake gurus...

In any case, I hope to head out to Hagg in the next week or two, to do some shore casting. My question is what would any of you suggest as a start - as far as baits, or lures are concerned? I'm more interested in trout than bass, at this point of the year.
From the shore, is bobber-sit-and-wait recommended? Or maybe a spinner for cast-and-reel?

Thanks in advance!

B
bmac_0021
I believe people are catching trout from shore using a smaller "gold" kastmaster. I was using that lure and caught a few trout in my float tube in just an hour and an half out on Hagg lake. Let me know how it works for you :)

T
The Nothing
nearly anything will work in Hagg, but I too prefer Kastmasters, but usually Silver & Green

M
madoc
For the trout in Hagg lake, from the bank, I use a basic plunking/carolina rig - 6'6" fast action rod, 6lb mono, terminal tackle is #10 egg sinker, 4mm, swivel, 12-18" 2 or 4lb leader, #12 single egg hook with one Poweregg.

You will want a hook disgorger if you use this rig and plan on releasing your fish, as about half of the time they end up swallowing the poweregg and thus the hook. I figure the hatchery trout are used to seeing small bite sized niblets.

cast out about 30 feet from shore, set the line, then hang out until the bait gets taken.

Other folks I know use smallish (#10 or smaller) trebles with powerbait wrapped around it.

I have never had spinners do anything more than snag when casting off the bank at Hagg lake - there is quite a bit of vegetation that ends up underwater there - but I am betting the bigger trout that eat other fish will go after a spinner.

My best catch days have been by Boat Ramp C - no secret there. I doubt there is such a thing as a "Secret" hole up at Hagg. Another spot is the point below the pullout on the Sain-creek side of the dam after the dam lot.

Cheers,
Madoc

Reactions: Fishtopher
H
hellj85
Is there a legal limit to # of trout per day? I know bass is 1 keeper a day, is that right?

As pertaining to trout, whats the keepable minimum measurement? And do I need a fishing license to fish for trout in Oregon?

Btw if there is a web url where all these questions are answer, feel free to direct me that way as well :)

Thanks for the responses!

T
The Nothing
as per state guide, 5 trout with an 8" min, only 1 over 20"

F
FishSchooler
I used a 1/4 oz egg sinker, a small black or grey swivel, 20 inches of 6 lb flouro, a size 6 or 8 hook, with 2 powereggs. 2 eggs will give it more floatation, allowing more fish to see/smell it. Cast it 30 ft out like madoc said, and wait. I caught 6 fish in 1.5 hours at the first stop towards boat ramp c. Cross the dam/rock section, and stop to the right in the little bay. There is a clear pure-sand section. Cast out from there. Thats where the fish hold. If not, go to boat ramp C.

H
hellj85
Thanks all of this information is very helpful.

Is it necessary to obtain a fishing license to fish for rainbows and other non-steelhead trouts in Oregon?

B
bmac_0021
Yes, you definitely need a license to fish trout.

If you end up wanting to fish for steelhead and salmon, you will need tags. These tags allow you to keep in total of combined steelhead and salmon to 20 per year. If you miss fishin, you will definitely learn to never stop doing it once you learn how to fish the rivers and oceans for salmon and steelhead. It is so much more fun than lake fishing in my opinion.

I just got into river fishing this last year and find it to be much more exciting and I have learned a lot quickly. Its not too hard to figure out. :)

H
hellj85
I've never really gotten too into river fishing - for steelhead specifically - because my dad and I were skunked 2 years in a row. I know there's more to a river than just steelhead, but I like my odds in lakes, and out past the CR buoy!
...The only thing I loathe about ocean fishing is when I land a fatty chinook, and there's a fresh seal bite in its back! Oh and I never really have been able to achieve and keep my sea legs. I can survive a weekend of salmon fishing, but once I go further out for albacore or bottom for ling cod or halibut I am the real chum-dinger.

B
bmac_0021
Well, if you like to lake fish, it would be helpful to your odds to have a float tube or a pontoon boat so you're not limited to the shore. You also get a lil' cardio going from using your fins to swim around if you're doing it hard enough. Float tubin' is pretty fun on Hagg. Especially when you have a fish finder setup on it.

But for shore fishing, Ramp C is your best bet to catch trout. They seem to hold there for the most part. Buy a worm blower to make your worms float off the bottom. Most people dont do it and just let their worm sit on the lake bottom where fish might not see it. Making it float puts the worm in the trout's face :D

Reactions: Fishtopher
F
FishSchooler
bmac_0021 said:
Well, if you like to lake fish, it would be helpful to your odds to have a float tube or a pontoon boat so you're not limited to the shore. You also get a lil' cardio going from using your fins to swim around if you're doing it hard enough. Float tubin' is pretty fun on Hagg. Especially when you have a fish finder setup on it.

But for shore fishing, Ramp C is your best bet to catch trout. They seem to hold there for the most part. Buy a worm blower to make your worms float off the bottom. Most people dont do it and just let their worm sit on the lake bottom where fish might not see it. Making it float puts the worm in the trout's face :D

Or the first turn once you cross the rock wall/dam thing! You could also put a brown corkie in front of the worm for floatation, and you wont disturb the natural appearance because blowing up worms just doesn't seem right to me when they get all puffy... :shock: Dont inflate one too much! :lol: