Back once again...and needing some help.....:(

K
kenjimua
i have a question aboutfishing around this time.....do you guys/girls know whhere to fish at this time of theyear? im targeting any kind of fish besides steel head/salmon/sturgeon....mostly aiming for uhhh carp/bass/any warm water fish bassically.....im willing to drive some where towards Bethany Pond and around there and in the portland area...im planning on switching to braid also..might look up on that...any tips is helpful =3 thanks all in advance

T
Throbbit _Shane
your gonna have a hard time catching warmwater fish during this time of the year. go for stocked trout!

J
JeannaJigs
Yeh dynamite might be your best bet for warmwater species when snow is on the horizon...

troutdude
troutdude
I hear that you can tip your hooks w/ Nitro Glycerin, and the fish will get a bang out of it.

But seriously folks...warm water species will shut down in snowy weather. I'd target the trout someplace like the Mt. Hood Pond if that's the area that you want to fish.

T
the_intimidator03
I am sure colby would say otherwise according to winter bassin. The warm water fish right now are probably going to be deep and sluggish, I dont know of any places around you to target them but slow downt he presentation, Expect light bites. other than that i can't be of much help.

H
halibuthitman
Ive caught smallmouth bass one after the other on sculpin patterns in the Clarke Fork river in November when it was -3 degrees out...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
the_intimidator03 said:
I am sure colby would say otherwise according to winter bassin. The warm water fish right now are probably going to be deep and sluggish, I dont know of any places around you to target them but slow downt he presentation, Expect light bites. other than that i can't be of much help.

Some of the largest bass are caught in winter.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yes, you can catch warm water fish in the winter, but you're probably going to work as hard or harder for them, generally speaking, than you will salmon, steelhead, trout - or other cold water species. If actual catching is what you're after - go for the silvery cold water fish. If you really really want to fish warm water, get on with your bad self, just don't expect a lot of action and you will be pleasantly surprised with any fish you do get. And the above guys are right - what warm water fish you catch in the winter will tend to be bigger than what you'd normally get in warmer weather.

K
kenjimua
errrmmm trout fishing isn't really my thing really =s......their too easy to catch for me =s.....thats what i usally fish with the family soo kinda bored of it...i would go for the steelies and sturgeon but no equipment for the big fishy's.... dynamite might be a good idea hehehe ^_^.....and at gungasuncle what do you mean the silvery cold water fish...as in like steelies and salmon?(not sure which one) and umm how about Sauvie Island ? would there be any luck there??o.0

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
lol, yes. Silvery cold water fish = salmon/trout/steelhead.

If you're really set on warm water fish - think smaller, and think slower presentations. One place to try might be Cedar Island Lagoon on the Willamette - IF the bridge is across the canal. Access it from M. S. Young Park in West Linn, hike down to the river, and head down stream, you'll see the foot bridge, if it's there, and you can cross a small canal channel onto Cedar Island, hike through the bushes, and you'll pop out by the lagoon. Lots of warm water fish in there during the warmer months - and makes sense that they'll be in there in the winter. It's pretty sheltered, the bottom is sandy/rocky and sloping.

Then again, if the foot bridge doesn't allow access - you're stuck wading to get to the island, or you can fish around the rocks or hike upstream to a sort of back water upstream of where the trail pops out. Also been known to get some warm water fishes out of that area.

Then you've got places like the Salish Ponds in Gresham, Commonwealth and Bethany Lakes in Beaverton, and a host of other little ponds and back waters along the Willamette and Columbia that hold warm water fish.

Hagg Lake opens next weekend - lots of warm water fishing opportunities there. Lots of state record smallmouth bass out of that lake.

Action just won't be as fast or consistant as it is in the warmer months.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Oh, and Sauvie's Island isn't bad - access to the Multnomah Channel, Gilbert River, and the ponds (though check on that, the still waters on Sauvie close for part of the year because of hunting season I believe). Lots of places to fish.

O
OutdoorsTeen
In winter for bass. I LOVE to use a salamander pattern in panther martin like 1/16 or 1/8 not any bigger than that. Slow presentaion but make sure it's still spinning. I can't help you on anywhere to though.

K
kenjimua
oh..always thought trout was like a all year season ki nd of fish...mostly warm water for me...and i havent been around places.....soooooo i have no idea where that is sadly....and salish pond iv never really target any other fish other then trout and bluegilll on the west...on the east iv tried for bass but...i think iv gone during the winter time mosty......as in for ag lake i want to try that place out,....no boat tho...and never been there
*edit* sauvie island been there never really caughty anything else other then cats...its probally the way how my set up is since it was rigged for bottom fishing >.<

Last edited: