Back in the kayak club, major repairs

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Long time no see, been busy with work and building a she-shed

Picked up a 12ST Ascend for 200$ but needed a decent repair, looked like the keel was dragging on the ground behind someone's truck

I had to cut an access hole on the top deck so I could reach inside the hull

I heat treated some kydex to make a flat cover plate and super glued it in place, I then melted down some HDPE with a torch and filled in the hole, made quite a puddle for sure.

I used devcon plastic weld and re-glued the inside kydex piece, as well as formed and glued another on the outside over the melted HDPE puddle.

I've got now got the skid plate patch made if kydex curing with 3M 5200, not pretty but should hold up

I wish I had a picture of the original hole

I went and got a cheap life jacket just to be legal, plan to to take a paddle test this weekend between clouds

20200324_214607.jpg 20200327_230220.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo, C_Run and Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, if you don't already have one, remember to add a Waterway Access Permit to your portfolio.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
rogerdodger said:
excellent, if you don't already have one, remember to add a Waterway Access Permit to your portfolio.
First thing i did [emoji106]

If you're on the mobile version of the site, they hide the annual option and only show the 7 day and 2 year pass, just a notice to anyone reading, look for a tiny "more options" hyperlink

bass
bass
Congrats on repairing the kayak, looks pretty dang strong!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
Congrats on repairing the kayak, looks pretty dang strong!
I'm hoping so! The glues don't seem like their sticking too well, but the melted HDPE in there should seal it up

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
First trip went.....terrible

Had to go back to the house and get my scupper plugs lol

Works great with the plugs in! I will keep an eye out for something larger but this will get me on the water for now!

20200329_150131.jpg 20200329_144538.jpg

bass
bass
NKlamerus said:
I'm hoping so! The glues don't seem like their sticking too well, but the melted HDPE in there should seal it up

If you have to redo the patch I have seen some big patches done by using wire mesh melting a plate of plastic over it. The wire acts like rebar. I would think a lot of kayak stores could hook you up with some plastic that matches. I have used the plastic from 5 gallon buckets for small repairs. (It matches the plastic Hobie uses).

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
bass said:
If you have to redo the patch I have seen some big patches done by using wire mesh melting a plate of plastic over it. The wire acts like rebar. I would think a lot of kayak stores could hook you up with some plastic that matches. I have used the plastic from 5 gallon buckets for small repairs. (It matches the plastic Hobie uses).
That's almost exactly what I did, I had to cut a 4" access hole and just installed an inspection plate in the rear cargo area

I used the material from the hole to melt down with a torch and fill in the patch, as well as some 5 gallon bucket lid

The owner before me fixed it with stainless mesh and a plastic welder but it didn't hold up so I had to rip it all out

Any bucket with the "2" recycling symbol should be HDPE can be used as patch material, as long as your kayak is HDPE as well

bass
bass
Thanks for clarifying @NKlamerus ! I remembered that you wanted a certain number in the recycling triangle but I could not remember which one.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Opened her up and used a plastic welder and metal mesh from harbor freight

Also going to cap it with a UV Cured fiberglass/nylon cap

You can see the old kydex covers and assortment of glue, it wasn't failed yet and took quite a good bit of prying to get off. But there was water seepeing out of it so I knew it was a mater of time

No leaks from inner hull to out hull, just water trapped in the repair patches and gorilla tape
20200518_163923.jpg
20200518_163928.jpg
20200518_163933.jpg
20200518_164411.jpg
20200518_184037.jpg
20200518_202941.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Bullseye Quick Patch, Nylon fiberglass patch pretty much, except it's UV hardened

May as well give it a go!
20200519_152819.jpg
20200519_152814.jpg
20200519_152809.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Big news! My fiance bought a kayak today! His and hers duo for awhile, it's a Perception 9.5

Which means no waterway access permit needed? Because it's under 10'?

So far pretty impressive, love the handles molded in, definitely need to add a paddle holder and cup holder for her

One if the first times in my life I can remember owning a new piece of equipment, we always bought used to found stuff scrapped
Snapchat-1245050669.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Going to pickup a new paddle tomorrow too, after using hers, I can't believe how much mine flexes.

I prefer 8'6", which would be a 260cm?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Made a loading/storage cart with scraps in had laying around, Also got the fiance's kayak up
20200601_191158.jpg
Snapchat-1269370425.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Very nice setups for loading and storage.