Back from Alaska

J
john montana
For the record, prior to becoming a carp on the fly guy I was a respectable trout, salmon and steelhead fly angler, and while I haven't chased those fish of late, I still love to catch em! Truthfully, I will catch basically anything that eats a fly. This year, my dad took me to Alaska for an unforgettable trip to a lodge. We flew out each day to different rivers and chased mainly big rainbows and coho salmon. It truly was an epic trip, six days float plane fishing with my dad in remote and stunning settings. I was left speechless each day and hope to get some stories and reports written down over the next few weeks, but here are some basics of what we did. During the trip I caught seven different species of fish...the breakdown by species.

Grayling: the grayling up there are no joke and I simply could not stop fishing for them. Every night after dinner I would rush to the river and catch a couple dozen of these beautiful fish on dry flies. Amazing to catch an endless supply of 14-20 inch fish on an elk haired caddis. Beautiful creatures.
9e15107a.jpg

765b800d.jpg
Arctic char: the guides all laughed at me because I told everyone that my goal for the trip was to catch a char. I ended up catching a ridiculous number of char, the largest was 26.5 inches, but most were 20-22 inches...awesome fish. The char fought harder than the bows, though they didn't jump much.
22e05688.jpg

03c14cda.jpg
Rainbow trout: e eryone else at the lodge was there for the rainbow fishing, and I was happy to catch them too! We basically fished beads behind spawning sockeyes and if you got a good dead drift you were nearly guaranteed to hook either a rainbow or a char. One guy at the lodge landed a 30 inch bow! My biggest was about 26 but most of the fish were over 20 inches long...huge awesome fish!
71f68aac.jpg

b1c68c61.jpg

Will do another page to break up the photos.

J
john montana
Dolly varden: I only caught two dollies, one on a bead, and one on a huge purple leech. Neat fish, but we didn't hit any of the mountain lakes or creeks to target them specifically.
7060bbc0.jpg

Sockeye: the sockeye were everywhere. The rivers are carpeted in salmon and it is a miracle you don't snag them by accident. I landed 4-5 in the mouth on egg patterns...the guides say the do bite eggs, but who knows. Cool fish, and easy to see. Casting right at the sockeye was the easiest way to catch bows and char.
621164b0.jpg

Coho: we caught tons of coho. Fished for them two days and just slayed bright coho and darker o es on pink leeches. Just fantastic fishing. We could easily see the fish and would cast at them and strip the fly cpback and see these 12-16 lb fish charge after the fly. It was awesome to see aggressive salmon!
e17ed57f.jpg

7af89644.jpg

d3c352be.jpg

76df0887.jpg

J
john montana
Lastly...northern pike. We didn't expect to catch any pike, but way up in a shallow bay on this huge lake we found some small pike. We were just exploring and checking out the scenery and ran into them, but of course we started tossing flies. My dad got his first pike on the fly and then I spotted, cast to and caught a massive 42 inch pike! Awesome fish!

2c291c35.jpg

af8f03c9.jpg

What an amazing experience! To share that with my dad was easily the best part. We had a great time fishing and making memoris together, and I will simply never forget our time together in Alaska.

c3205cae.jpg

b7d76bf8.jpg

9849dd3e.jpg

Reactions: eggs
B
bigsteel
wow,amazing report john,,that rainbow is amazing

I
idahojeff
Holy $#&@....looks like an EPIC trip. Realy like the pike! Good on you and your Dad.

S
Sinkline
Absolutely awesome! Thanks a ton for bringing this trip to us John!

Randy

M
Mad dog
Outstanding report!!!

Trip of a lifetime!

brandon4455
brandon4455
epic is an understatement... nice job! gorgeous fish..

R
RunWithSasquatch
Looks like you pretty well took care of the bucket list for the trip... Awesome trip! Congratulations!

V
Van
Awesome. Simply Awesome. I am horribly jealous.

D
Drew9870
A dream come true. Congradulations.

O
OnTheFly
I know you love the carp John but those fish are much easier for me to look at.:lol:

That has got to be one of the finest fishing trips anyone has shared on the forum.:clap:

M
mlw
Wow. That was some trip, and some pike. Great report.
Michael

J
JeannaJigs
Amazing photos.

J
john montana
Quite a trip, and quite a time fishing with my dad. I hope I get to take my kids up there someday, Alaska is an amazing place.

Reactions: ninja2010, bigsteel and Raincatcher
B
BobbiDollPDX
I saw the title and all I could think was, "He went carp fishing in Alaska?"

Boy, you sure proved me wrong.

Fabulous photos and wow, what a trip. I'm dying here. Dying from jealousy that is.

Thanks for sharing!

H
halibuthitman
great trip! I certainly hope you take your kids someday-

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummm,John...I'm up for adoption...just sayin'. :whistle: Thanks for sharing your amazing trip with your Dad. :clap::clap:

M
metalfisher76
Very nice report man! Thanx for the cool shots of yerr trip:shock::)

J
JohnOD
Man that does sound like a trip of a lifetime John… and to share it with your Dad makes it better yet.

I take it there aren’t any carp in Alaska :) ?