B.o.a.t

jhop111
jhop111
They're a few acronyms for boat that seem to be pretty accurate. Back in August I traded in two boats, a bass tracker and a 20ft old school north river that I had spent some time all over the state in every type of situation imaginable. over the last year or two I realized I only used to bass tracker on my yearly expedition to brownlee in search of catfish and crappie. The north river was my most used boat, it had a 200 mercury and and 9.9 bigfoot kicker. It would run on a damp rock, although not on purpose. My only drawback on the sled was it was narrow and didn't have much free board. After taking a few gallons of water over the sides trolling for kokes I decided it was time for an upgrade. I learned the hard way I needed

A boat with high sides
A wider boat
A longer boat (2 foot itis)
Ability to stay dry and out of the elements year round
A jet pump
A kicker
No carpet

So I started looking at gently used boats over the summer. Turns out if you look hard enough you will find what your looking for. I found a willie raptor down in coos bay. Shes a 24ft long by 84 inch fishing machine. It has a 250 optimax inboard jet and I put a new yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker with warm water sink.
I added 9 scotty rod holders, a bait staton on the dog house, a garmin 741 up front and a humminbird 788 on the back. I kept the layout open and opted for 2 movable seats on bases. Its wired for my cannon electrics as well. The boat came with a low profile sturdy as all heck springer top. I kept the top and had another taller canvas made so that anyone under 6-4 can stand up in. The boat was pretty stripped down so I also added a columbia river anchor up front. I opted for 3 batteries, 2 for the kicker and electronics and downrigger and 1 for the main, all are on a blue sea switch with low voltage alarm. I also had to find a few parts to make the washdown pump operational again. All in told the deal kept the boat for close to 5 weeks from the day I signed papers to when my list of goodies and service list was finished.

All in all it was a longer than normal process, they're still items and accessories to be added as needed. But I had the entire unit fully serviced and replaced common items like plugs, oils, bearings and brakes. So I was not in a hurry, especially with the dry weather. Anyway it was a much better deal than a new boat, which I think run around the "OMG" price range. She's not new, has a couple scratches and dings, but she's mine and caught fish 30 seconds into my first trip with it. I think I'll keep it, just need to name it. any ideas?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wow, it sounds like you found a diamond in the rough and it turned into a real gem of a deal for you! Would love to see pics!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
beauty! how about "Hooked on a Feeling"?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice looking machine! You should get years of fun out of her. I'm sure you'll come upon the right name for her, it will just pop into your head.

jhop111
jhop111
I've had a couple pop into my mind but considering the boat is a big red willie I won't go there. Anyway let me expand on how fishy this boat is. First trip out on the slaw last thursday I cut in the trolling line after warming the motor up. My buddy decided to run herring and flasher and I opted for hardware after consulting 1nut. I set our speed at 1.8 on the gps, and my buddy lowered his rig into the water to check the spin on the herrring. FISH ON. I kid you not, a nice 34lb nook hit the herring not more than a rod length behind the boat and maybe 2 ft under the surface. First fish in the boat after 30 seconds fishing. After that I adjusted my hardware to run less than 8ft down and went 1 for 2. The boat went 2 for 3. Not a bad first trip considering how slow it us up high in the river. During the course of the day we had fish jumping close enough to splash the boat, and we witnessed a nook just cruising under the surface next to the boat while under troll. The boat is fishy...nuff said lol

B
billfisher
jhop111 said:
I've had a couple pop into my mind but considering the boat is a big red willie I won't go there. Anyway let me expand on how fishy this boat is. First trip out on the slaw last thursday I cut in the trolling line after warming the motor up. My buddy decided to run herring and flasher and I opted for hardware after consulting 1nut. I set our speed at 1.8 on the gps, and my buddy lowered his rig into the water to check the spin on the herrring. FISH ON. I kid you not, a nice 34lb nook hit the herring not more than a rod length behind the boat and maybe 2 ft under the surface. First fish in the boat after 30 seconds fishing. After that I adjusted my hardware to run less than 8ft down and went 1 for 2. The boat went 2 for 3. Not a bad first trip considering how slow it us up high in the river. During the course of the day we had fish jumping close enough to splash the boat, and we witnessed a nook just cruising under the surface next to the boat while under troll. The boat is fishy...nuff said lol

Well there you go. "I'M FISHY" Congrats, sounds like a great boat!