awesome trout rig

brandon4455
brandon4455
a lot of the fish i pulled ot of local creeks and rivers this season wewre caught on a simple set up i'd like to tell everyone about. its basically just a small egg hook with some takillya rose pop a top yarn. tie it to the line above your hook and put some smelly jelly shrimp scent on the yarn . for this rig its easier to use just mainline so you dont have to use a swivel under your indicator (i use size 10 corkies )
wrap your line through the corkie twice when you have found how deep you want to fish
and its fixed in place. but it easily moves when you pull on it so you can adjust lengh.
you can also use a bead at the head of the hook. that works along with the yarn sometimes. ( i use bobber stop beads) and yo have your finished product. i have caught cutthroat up to 17 inches and some nice rainbows with this setup and i even hooked into a coho. it works in all types of water it also works good in lakes to suspend
bait such as pautzkies or worms. here are some picutes of cutthroat (the one on the rigght was the biggest of that day around 13 inches) and a few juvenille wild coho i caught after the river was blown out a bit enjoy,

brandon

• PICT0029.jpg
  • PICT0020.jpg
  • PICT0026.jpg
  • PICT0021.jpg
  • PICT0027.jpg
Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Hey buddy, I remember you telling me about that rig when we were out fishing last weekend. But, I didn't see you tie one up.

Could I talk you into showing us some pics?

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Hey buddy, I remember you telling me about that rig when we were out fishing last weekend. But, I didn't see you tie one up.

Could I talk you into showing us some pics?

yeah let me tie one up. it's probably the most simple rig ive used but its awesome

here are some pics of fish i caught while using a jighead with this yarn. i used those cheap easy drifter floats. its basically a steelhead rig when i use the jighead. and i drifted it too. here is a rainbow and a cutthroat i caught twith the jig version ill have a pic of both versions of the rig up soon. ug..batteries are dead on cam. i will post the rig but it will take a bit. until i find batteries.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
OK. Thanks. No hurry. It sure is an effective rig!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Ha. mom just cam back with batteries..and I HAVE 4 BUCKS FOR A BIT OF TACKLE WOOHOO! xD heres the pics. now nnotice the way the yarn is not poofed out? i either use pink magic thread to hold like that or super glue xD make sure it covers the hook like that all the way to the bend not over it. it's almost like a cheap home made flesh fly or eggs. which is why they eat it up im guessing.. and another nice thing about eh yarn is it holds scent real well. and dosent tend to slip of the line or hook wherever you put it. keep in mind thats just to give you an idea of what it is. u generally use a smaller hook and a little less yarn for hook sie i use the small gold snells or like the red octopus hook you gave me with the slip bobber rig. give it a try sometime. maybe it will work for ya. but idk ive had days where it catches nothing and spinners land all the fish and days where this lands a good 10 fish. itworks better during higher water situations. not the best rig during the summer. and for the jig technique i dont have any jig heads left but, you use 1/4 or smaller pink painted jigheads. with the yarn and scent dirft or use under a float and BAM! im going to wal mart in a few mintues ill bring some good hooks and what not back and show you a more detailed version of the rig. btw its also really hard to fling out witch is a bad thing. try using the smallest split shot you can find to use with it and maybe it will work. im thinking about trying that.

brandon

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
OK. Thanks. No hurry. It sure is an effective rig!

thanks bro. and grats on the 2800 posts do you have carpel tunnel yet? XD

troutdude
troutdude
Funny you should ask; I had surgery yesterday...kidding. LOL

That's sure a pretty simple set up. And you have a very good understanding of when to use it, and when knot too <pun inserted for dramatic flare>. Thanks for the pics. It would probably work well w/ fly rod.

brandon4455
brandon4455
LOL. your funny i love the fish humor. never gets old . hope you get good use out of the rig. after we take my moms phone in tomorrow i will post the videos i took with it i got some footage of the rig in action. all the best,

brandon

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
more pics. the yarn wasn't fixed in place that time because the current held it against the hook. so it slid up the line after getting the fish in. :p it's nice being able to get my pics online now

H
halibuthitman
instead of tying the corky in try using a tooth pick or some store bought peg-its to hold it in place.... that way its adjustable.. you can do the same thing with a bead but it must be fixed within 2 inches of the hook.- your rig is essentially a kenai river trout flyrig.... and VERY effective.

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
instead of tying the corky in try using a tooth pick or some store bought peg-its to hold it in place.... that way its adjustable.. you can do the same thing with a bead but it must be fixed within 2 inches of the hook.- your rig is essentially a kenai river trout flyrig.... and VERY effective.

i usually use toothpicks but im all out x_X thanks for reminding me to pick some up though. xD never knew that it had a name though. i can't find any of these online..i looked on google. i want to see what a profesionally tied one looks like. thanks for the tips brad. take care,

brandon

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
try googling kenai river trout bead set-up..

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
try googling kenai river trout bead set-up..

ok cool. so this setup catches giant fish in alaska..never knew how well it worked on differerent species of fish. explains why i hooked a coho with it. thanks brad.

M
mrlindeman
Hey Brandon, are you usin a fly rod for this setup? How are you casting this rig with no weight? Or am I missing something?. Looks great though. Looks like I might try this at the pond and see how it works for me. Great job :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
mrlindeman said:
Hey Brandon, are you usin a fly rod for this setup? How are you casting this rig with no weight? Or am I missing something?. Looks great though. Looks like I might try this at the pond and see how it works for me. Great job :)

thanks. and im using a 5'6 spinning setup i kinda fling it out like a fly rod. it's very difficult though. witch is why im planning in getting a 3wt for trout hope you enjoy the rig tight lines,

brandon