awesome day on the coast! again

F
fishndad
caught my limit of fish again, all were 16" or larger fish, except the perch they were about 13" or better, had some real nice filets and a great dinner! i caught 5 greenling, 1 snapper, 1 cabezon and 2 perch in 3 hours! lot of people but not a lot being caught seen one other guy catch one perch and everyone was complaining about lack of fish. i didn't show my bucket to anyone......i always feel bad for people who come along ways to fish and have no luck so i showed them a good spot and gave them some tips and some bait! hope they did well!
qrxmqq.jpg
280qkd4.jpg
1672ro4.jpg

T
TTFishon
Nice job. Those sure are some ugly fish. What kind of a set up do you use to get those?

O
OBP Turtle 33
I went to Newport and caught nothing off the South Jetty and no perch off any of the beaches. What is your secret I am hungry?

C
chris61182
I'm curious what the cabezon bit on, I've never seen one caught from shore before.

1aB
Wow, impressive indeed! Which of the species do you consider the tastiest prepared how?

If I may ask, what are you doing right that others aren't?

F
fishndad
ok, ill try and awnser everyones questions at once, i used sandshrimp for bait, i used a size 2 hook, 1 foot above my sinker! i cast into coves, i see where kelp beds end and cast to the edges of them, etc. the reason i do so well is i have been doing this with my mom since i was 2 years old! not to mention i fish a lot. but i know the differance in the current pulling my rod and a fish.....just the slightest differance can be a fish. not a lot of poeple can tell, but if you can then you will succeed with high quantity;s of fish in your bucket.

as for my favorite it is between cabezon and lingcod! i batter them with my homemade batter and deepfry them, normaly i make popcorn fish which is awesome!

Reactions: chris61182
B
beaverfan
Wow that last post is full of great info. A few more quick questions though. What size slider do you typically use? Do you want it to drift along the bottom with the current or is it more of a plunking thing?

1aB
Yeah, thanks for sharing, "fishndad"! Sounds like your skills were learned & earned. Having a "fishnmom" was also valuable, and unusual!

I prefer lures to bait - what would be my chances on kelp bed edges?

O
OBP Turtle 33
Yeah that taught me a ton you are from Coos Bay can I assume this is where you are fishing? Also what is your favorite tide for this technigue? I went when the tide was coming in.

F
fishndad
beaverfan said:
Wow that last post is full of great info. A few more quick questions though. What size slider do you typically use? Do you want it to drift along the bottom with the current or is it more of a plunking thing?

ok well depending on how ruff the current is that day ill use anything from 1 oz to 3 oz bank sinkers! remember sinker on bottom and a foot or more above is the regualr #2 or 4 baitholder hook!

F
fishndad
1aB said:
Yeah, thanks for sharing, "fishndad"! Sounds like your skills were learned & earned. Having a "fishnmom" was also valuable, and unusual!

I prefer lures to bait - what would be my chances on kelp bed edges?

well in all honesty your gonna work three times harder with a jig then with bait to get a fish in shallow weedy beds! but the twin ripple tails and other twin legged grubs work good as well as medium size swimbaits. but im tellin ya, give sandshrimp a try! good luck to all and be very safe!

and yeah it is very unusual to have a mother instead of a father to teach ya the fishing tricks but what is even more odd is she was a guide for along time and a charter deckhand when she was young!

F
fishndad
OBP Turtle 33 said:
Yeah that taught me a ton you are from Coos Bay can I assume this is where you are fishing? Also what is your favorite tide for this technigue? I went when the tide was coming in.

yes obp, i fish the coos area! i try and get out 2 hours before the outgoing slack tide! and ill fish it all the way through 3 -4 hours after the tide starts coming in! but the best bite is an hour before and an hour after! when the tide is coming in is usauly the best considering thats when the fish are coming back into shallows searching for food!

O
OBP Turtle 33
Awesome thank you I will have to give it a shot

F
fishndad
OBP Turtle 33 said:
Awesome thank you I will have to give it a shot

good luck and be safe

F
fishinmachine
Which fish is the snapper?

F
fishndad
fishinmachine said:
Which fish is the snapper?

its a black snapper they look similar to a largemouth bass just dark

F
fishinmachine
I did not know that. I always thought that there were blue and black sea bass. Learn something new everyday.

O
Oregonchris
Please tell me what i am doing wrong!

F
fishndad
Oregonchris said:
Please tell me what i am doing wrong!

lol i do not know your situation! what is wrong?

F
FishSlayer420
I need to stop Slackin and get over them thar mountains to the salt water and get in some of these sea dwelling fish.