EveryNow&Then
3CA8550F-9140-4E42-BAE5-BCCA9F35E655.jpeg
56C03E2F-98BC-49BF-A73B-C11587D1572A.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: NKlamerus, troutdude and Chromatose
jamisonace
jamisonace
Excellent. Congrats! A few hatchery fish were kicking around today. Seems there are more fish the higher you go. Hoping for another push of fish with the big storm that's coming.

Glad you're taking one home.

Reactions: EveryNow&Then
DOKF
DOKF
What are the yellow spots on the netted fish?

jamisonace
jamisonace
DOKF said:
What are the yellow spots on the netted fish?
I got one like that this year. I don't know what they are but it didn't affect the meat as far as I could tell.

Grant22
Grant22
Screenshot 2021-10-20 10.36.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-10-20 10.37.04 PM.png

It looks like some parasites (copepod crustations) that I have seen on trout in lakes during warm water before, they're pretty gross but they're only superficial as far as I know and they don't really hurt the fish to much unless they get into their gills. I have eaten fish that have had a few on them ( 3 or 4) and the meat is just fine. Usually they die off mostly when the water cools down. Never seen one on a Salmon or migratory fish before though.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Interesting. The Umpqua was super warm when these fish started coming up so that makes sense. I've got summer steelhead on the willamette with them too.

troutdude
troutdude
Hopefully I am INcorrect; but I'm wondering if those are sea lice. If so then...ya might not want to consume it.

"A red, itchy rash will appear over parts of your body covered by your hair or bathing suit. This can include your groin, rear end, chest, abdomen, neck, or back. You may have 200 stings or more. Other symptoms include headache, chills, fever, nausea, and abdominal cramps."

Again I may be wrong. So please correct me if that is the case here.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutdude said:
Hopefully I am INcorrect; but I'm wondering if those are sea lice. If so then...ya might not want to consume it.

"A red, itchy rash will appear over parts of your body covered by your hair or bathing suit. This can include your groin, rear end, chest, abdomen, neck, or back. You may have 200 stings or more. Other symptoms include headache, chills, fever, nausea, and abdominal cramps."

Again I may be wrong. So please correct me if that is the case here.
I don't think that is same kind of sea lice that attaches to fish. I've eaten hundreds of fish that had sea lice.

Reactions: troutdude
F
Fishpdx
I saw that once when I caught a coho on a jetty , I ended up just picking them out with a knife and small pliers