Kirk Pond Fishing Reports

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I fished Horton in the morning, stopped in Junction City for lunch and then hit Kirk pond for about 3 hours. One decent bass and missed another, lots of carp jumping everywhere.

Guy on shore was killing them, had 3 or 4 really nice ones and kept 2 of the gut hooked ones.

West side of the lake was milky brown, east side was gin clear!

• 20200426_162623.jpg
Reactions: Ikijime
G
Gulfstream
NICE!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
On the water about 2pm, fishing was SLOW until about 530. It was hot, no wind, blue bird sky! Roughest conditions in pre-spawn in my opinion.

Caught 6, one of them was a dink, largest was just under 4.

I got back to the "launch" at 730, and no one was fishing? Loaded up my kayak and made a few casts. Caught one on the way out!
20200428_181028.jpg
20200428_181814.jpg
20200428_182812.jpg
20200428_185349.jpg
20200428_192704.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: troutdude, Raincatcher, Admin and 1 other person
G
Gulfstream
Looks like a great day!

Badfish
Badfish
I heard the Army Corp closed Kirk pond. It was posted at all entry points last week according to my fishing buddy.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Badfish said:
I heard the Army Corp closed Kirk pond. It was posted at all entry points last week according to my fishing buddy.
Sure is! Both times I've been, parking lot is filled, people everywhere

Sherrif's and wardens stopped by but haven't said anything, says the park is closed. Not sure if that actually includes the pond?

I usually launch then try to park really out of the way incase they get crazy with it

Last edited:
Admin
Admin
Badfish said:

Badfish, could your fishing buddy share a photo of an entry point, please?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Anatoliy said:
Badfish, could your fishing buddy share a photo of an entry point, please?
I know for sure the wooden sign by the road just says "area closed" or "park closed"

The swinging gate for the lower ramp and bathrooms, that is closed, has a larger detailed closure statement but i'm not sure what it says, there was a crowd around it

Admin
Admin
NKlamerus said:
I know for sure the wooden sign by the road just says "area closed" or "park closed"

The swinging gate for the lower ramp and bathrooms, that is closed, has a larger detailed closure statement but i'm not sure what it says, there was a crowd around it

Sherrif's and wardens didn't ask you questions, why should we?

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Anatoliy said:
Sherrif's and wardens didn't ask you questions, why should we?
That's I believe as well, I'm social distancing, I wear a mask while loading and unloading, and don't stop anywhere else.

Badfish
Badfish
I called the local Army Corp. of Engineers office which oversees this area. The Ranger I spoke with confirmed Kirk Pond is closed because the banks surrounding the pond are under their management. And even worse news, Cottage Grove lake and all access points are closed as well due to Covid.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Badfish said:
I called the local Army Corp. of Engineers office which oversees this area. The Ranger I spoke with confirmed Kirk Pond is closed because the banks surrounding the pond are under their management. And even worse news, Cottage Grove lake and all access points are closed as well due to Covid.
Good to know for future reference, did they have an opening date?

Badfish
Badfish
NKlamerus said:
Good to know for future reference, did they have an opening date?
Unfortunately no, they did give me a good tip, one of Dorena’s boat launches is a Lane County Park, I believe Baker Bay. The campground is closed, but sounds like the ramp is open. I might go check it out tomorrow. I usually have my sights set on Cottage Grove right about now.

Reactions: Admin
Admin
Admin
my2labs
my2labs
Found this online. Seemed relevant!
Game warden: Didn’t you see the no-fishing sign, son?
Boy: I’m not fishing, sir. I’m teaching these worms how to swim!

Reactions: playhooky and NKlamerus
bass
bass
Great job on the fishing @NKlamerus . I am not fishing any closed areas but I don't begrudge those who are willing to take that risk. I have read about ramps in Eastern, OR and some along the Columbia where the same thing is happening. Marked as closed, ignored by folks and enforcement not seeming to care. My guess is that as long as people are social distancing to the LEOs satisfaction that everything is fine.

my2labs said:
Found this online. Seemed relevant!
Game warden: Didn’t you see the no-fishing sign, son?
Boy: I’m not fishing, sir. I’m teaching these worms how to swim!

Reminds of one of my favorite (rather long) fishing jokes/stories (this is highly paraphrased).

There is an old man who always comes back to town with his limit, never fails. The local game warden is curious about how he can catch fish when other folks are getting skunked so one day the warden asks the old man if he would mind if the warden came along with him on a trip. The old man thought that would be great and told the warden to meet him the next day at daybreak at the boat ramp. The warden was excited to learn the old man's secrets.

The next day arrives and the warden meets the old man at the boat ramp at the crack of dawn. They get in the boat and head across the lake. The warden looks at the tackle and the bait in the boat and doesn't see anything unusual. Normal rods, normal bait, nothing to explain the old man's success.

"It must be a secret spot," thought the warden, but instead they head to a well-known fishing spot and the old man drops the anchor. At this point, the warden is really confounded. He could see no explanation for the old man's success.

While the warden was pondering the situation the old man opened his tackle box and took out a stick of dynamite. The warden was shocked and said, "you can't use that!"

The old man casually lit the stick of dynamite, handed it to the warden and said, "Do you want to talk, or do you want to fish?"

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Signs
20200501_151517.jpg
20200501_151252.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
But also.....
20200501_151827.jpg

Reactions: Admin
I
Indeep
Good for you , the above poster is wrong . You can launch from the road army core rep told me they have no right to close the water anywhere . Just the little bit of land used for common use . Don’t be sheep ask strong questions

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Indeep said:
Good for you , the above poster is wrong . You can launch from the road army core rep told me they have no right to close the water anywhere . Just the little bit of land used for common use . Don’t be sheep ask strong questions
I talked to the phone operator on the other end of the number, she said that technically the land is closed, but they can't close the water.

If your not on their land, they can't enforce it

May be difficult to prove you didn't cross it to get to the water though.

Top Bottom