Awesome day at Alton Baker today!!!

troutdude
troutdude
A HUGE thank you goes out to OFF member "JungleFrank" today! I broke out my 5' hollow glass U.L. Lamiglas rod for the first time and made my first journey ever, to Alton Baker Canal and Park today. And, I'm happy to report a successful recon mission into unknown Duck territory, by a covert Beaver operative!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I tried all kinds of stuff early on, at the "mid way" pond, directly behind Autzen. Not even a nibble!

From there, went to the freeway spillway and met a friendly chap named Daniel. He showed me the spot that Jungle Frank told me about. And, BAM...4 NICE truck trout in a hour! (Pautzke's, PowerEggs mostly and drifting into the tailout).

Then, about 1:00, I made tracks over to the A.B. pond. Just as I approached the outtake/spillway bridge (next to Willy river), I saw some guys packing up. They had their limits and it was my turn. This was also my first mission with my TWO ROD license. But, I had a fish on so fast with rod #1...I hadn't even yet baited up rod #2! And, and hour later I had all five fish to the bank and attached to my stringer of doom. :lol:

At that spot, it was a green Power egg and one orange one on a hook. Plus, a dab of Berkely's Trout Scent. The smallest was about 10" and the biggest about 14".

A very fun day of "firsts". First time with "old school" Lamiglass U.L. rod (made each fish feel like I was fighting a Salmon for dear life). :shock: First time infiltrating Duck turf and A.B. Canal and Park. First time out trout fishing this season. First time ever fishing for trout in February. And, first time ever fishing in February in a T-Shirt!!!:clap:

I am indebted to both JungleFrank and Daniel. U Da Men!!!:dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice man sounds fun. Make sure you wear some green when you sneek down here.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice report. Some pictures would be nice though :D

N
natro
Hello to everyone from a newbie here on the forums. I went to Alton baker too, yesterday and today. Limited out in about 4 hours both days. It was the first time I had been there, and I have to admit I was pleasantly suprised. I was suprised at the size of the fish I was catching. Out of both days I think the smallest was 13" and the biggest 15 1/2". Spent my whole time at the A.B. Pond. Slowed down a bit for about 2 hours today with nothing going on, at one point I was all by myself, then all of a sudden I caught my last 2 within about 10 minutes of each other, then it was time to pack it up and head home. Seemed like most people were using power bait, I decided to use Rooster Tails and spoons.

Last edited:
J
Junglefrank
Size of fish

Size of fish

natro said:
Hello to everyone from a newbie here on the forums. I went to Alton baker too, yesterday and today. Limited out in about 4 hours both days. It was the first time I had been there, and I have to admit I was pleasantly suprised. I was suprised at the size of the fish I was catching. Out of both days I think the smallest was 13" and the biggest 15 1/2". Spent my whole time at the A.B. Pond. Slowed down a bit for about 2 hours today with nothing going on, at one point I was all by myself, then all of a sudden I caught my last 2 within about 10 minutes of each other, then it was time to pack it up and head home. Seemed like most people were using power bait, I decided to use Rooster Tails and spoons.

I spoke with the people who stocked it last Thursday and actually posed that question to them as the fish seemed big this year, and she said this time around they are. They actually stocked "leftovers" as she called them from last year, so all of the trout in Alton Baker are 12'' and over!!! Not the typical little babies that they throw in there.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, biggun's alright!

Yep, biggun's alright!

My fish were actually a little bigger than I thought. The smallest was 12", some were 13" and some were 14". It was fun. I was also fishing w/ two rods...and inexperience in and of itself! I wanted to go again today, but it's an hour one-way from my pad. :rolleyes:

Sorry thug, this here Beav won't adorn hisself, wif nuttin' green! :lol:

BTW, in the pond my usual "berkley trout sandwich" did the trick:

Sliding barrel sinker above a swivel
3' of leader (4#)
a size 8 egg hook
one spring green power egg (like power bait, but NO mess!...and they float)
one orange power egg
a dab or green or orange Berkley "trout jelly" for extra flavor (don't think they make it anymore)
a couple of drops of Berkley's trout scent (the smell gets them to check it out)

Had first fish on, in less than 2 minutes. Hadn't even gotten rod #2 rigged up!

BTW, I used to use a small treble hook. But, the fish almost always gulp in down their gullet. Then, you gotta break off and spend the time to tie another hook on.

So, I recently started using #8 egg hooks. Now, I hook more fish in the mouth and can get my line(s) back in the water much faster (and, therefore, catch mo' fish)!:dance::clap:

Thanks again Frank, for getting me hip to the canal and park. It was FUN FUN FUN!!!

N
natro
I probably will head back again tomorrow and try my luck. It's not that far away and the fish are nice. I think the only complaint I might have about A.B. is all of the duck and goose turds all over the place, in some areas there's so much of it, they look like cow pies LOL! Hopefully there's still some big fish in the pond tomorrow and they haven't found their way into the willamette yet.

G
grampa ron
AB Trout

AB Trout

You ought to try fly fishing. I was at the canal Thursday about 2pm. I caught and released somewhere between 40 & 50 trout. A lot of fish were caught ny others also. I did keep 5. I'll be back Monday.

T
TroutSlayer
grampa ron said:
You ought to try fly fishing. I was at the canal Thursday about 2pm. I caught and released somewhere between 40 & 50 trout. A lot of fish were caught ny others also. I did keep 5. I'll be back Monday.

If you don't minde asking what fly or flies were you using I'm new to flyfishing and trying o learn what to use around here and when to use em

M
mikeineugene
Sounds like fun!

T
Terry
Small possie buggers and bead head hairs ears, in size 14 were working today.

G
grampa ron
Alton Baker Trout

Alton Baker Trout

Hi

I use Black Nymphs with a gold bead from Bi-Mart with 6# Flourocarbon leader and a corky indicator.

By the way, look up Mel Krieger on YOUTUBE for the best fly casting instructions.