At least a couple guys hooked em today...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I had a run to Tillamook first thing today - on the drive over I happened to observe three guys in a drift boat playing a fish just downstream of the first launch, on the way back I stopped to take a leak at one of the pull outs that has the brick scathouse, and stretched my legs out along the bank. Ran into a fellow playing a PIG of a fish - at first he thought it was a snag, but snags don't head shake and take line :lol: I watched him playing the fish for about fifteen minutes - he said he was very noob to steelhead fishing was was bobber & jigging it. He hooked up just before I came around the bend. He even handed me the rod for a minute to verify it was a fish, not a rock. Piggie just kept swimming between the center of the run and the far bank, staying down deep. Every time the guy gained some line, the fish decided he liked the far side of the river again. Just about as I was bidding the fellow adieu and good luck - the fish broke him off. Fellow cut off his leader and tied on a new one on, then tied on another nightmare jig. I hope he finally landed one.

River looked perfect, and there were lots of rigs on the road. Lot of guys playing hookie I bet.

D
DrTheopolis
I know it sounds far-fetched, but many years ago, I hooked an enormous springer considerably farther upstream from that about this time of year... with the same result.

Few and far between, but happens.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
DrTheopolis said:
I know it sounds far-fetched, but many years ago, I hooked an enormous springer considerably farther upstream from that about this time of year... with the same result.

Few and far between, but happens.

I was wondering if the guy hadn't hooked a salmon - it fought a lot like the last chinook I landed, but this early in the year seemed unlikely. I figured it was just a big piggie steelhead but now I'm not sure. I really wish I would've gotten to see at least a flash.

O
OnTheDrop
I've heard of between 6-8 Chinook caught on the Wilson since the last week if February. Most people call them "Winter" runs since it never really stops in the Fall.

On a side note, that lower river is kicking out some very nice fish like it's going outta style right now. Wednesday was one of the best steelhead hookup days I've had.

Get em guys and gals. Any river for the next week..

Y
youngbuck307
Probably late fall fish a few have been picked up last week 3 for sure I know of...

Y
youngbuck307
It wasn't to bad for us today :)

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Out of all the weird coincidences - I was in Mr. Plywood out in SE Portland the other day getting a quote for my boat build - and I ran into the fellow whom I watched battle the fish. He felt a bit vindicated - as I was able to substantiate his story to some of his coworkers. He told me that a couple days later, coming back from his retreat, he pulled over and fished a hole a bit further downstream and landed a 15lb nate.

I fished the river last week on Wednesday - I had a nice hook up on a swung fly - fish tail walked and spit the hook but I got a good look at him. I was hoping to get back on teh river today - but the boss has been sick for a week and I wound up having to work. Guess I got lucky - there was a hell of a rock & mud slide around MM 22 and completely cut off HWY 6. ODOT said 300 yards of debris covering the road, and they have no idea when it'll reopen.

Next fishing opportunity will be next week...

L
Leon Fish
GungasUncle said:
Out of all the weird coincidences - I was in Mr. Plywood out in SE Portland the other day getting a quote for my boat build - and I ran into the fellow whom I watched battle the fish. He felt a bit vindicated - as I was able to substantiate his story to some of his coworkers. He told me that a couple days later, coming back from his retreat, he pulled over and fished a hole a bit further downstream and landed a 15lb nate.

I fished the river last week on Wednesday - I had a nice hook up on a swung fly - fish tail walked and spit the hook but I got a good look at him. I was hoping to get back on teh river today - but the boss has been sick for a week and I wound up having to work. Guess I got lucky - there was a hell of a rock & mud slide around MM 22 and completely cut off HWY 6. ODOT said 300 yards of debris covering the road, and they have no idea when it'll reopen.

lol. Life can be funny like that. awesome that you were able to back up his story.

Ive got a few days off next week. Lemme know if you want to meet up out there.

M
mikeee2362
GungasUncle said:
Guess I got lucky - there was a hell of a rock & mud slide around MM 22 and completely cut off HWY 6. ODOT said 300 yards of debris covering the road, and they have no idea when it'll reopen.

Geez, I was planning a trip to Jones creek area tomorrow, is MM22 east of Jones Creek or can I still make it?