At Detroit 4/25

D
Damn_Shaker
Went with 3 kids and the father, we first went to small creek by the market, see fish swimming but nothing biting. We went to the dam for couple hours didn't catch anything. There's some fish got pulled out but nothing more than 10 inch. Lake so big but limited area for family fishing

T
Thuggin4Life
Too bad you didn't get much. sure you and the kids enjoyed the day though.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Dock at hover campground is great for family and good fishing. I don't think I've ever been there without limiting out

troutdude
troutdude
x 2. The dock at Hoover Campground is a good bet. You might also try the Reservoir side of the Idanha Bridge (that leads you into Hoover. It's where the North Santiam flows into the Reservoir. I've done well "off" of the "big rock" too.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Agreed also I've caught a couple small salmon on the other side of the bridge. Hoover private camp is good I go there every fathers day

C
Charlie_merrifi
Water level may be low this time of year

C
capblack
hoover dock isn't in the water yet, but Ive never heard anybody say that detroit has limited bank access for families. Mongold has tons of bank areas, tumble creek has easy access, and good fishing, just above detroit theres a parking area with tons of shoreline, and accross from hoover all the way up to wherever the river starts at any given depth, usually the flats, all has excellent access for all ages, and i have yet to get skunked at detroit. And when the lake is full, i agree with the hoover dock. Also check out the day use area a 1/2 mile or so up breitenbush. It costs 5 dollars to park, but theres restrooms, picknick areas, a dock, and tons of shoreline for all ages. And dont overlook bigcliff, theres some big bows in there. good luck, Brian

Last edited:
M
Michael
capblack said:
hoover dock isn't in the water yet, but Ive never heard anybody say that detroit has limited bank access for families. Mongold has tons of bank areas, tumble creek has easy access, and good fishing, just above detroit theres a parking area with tons of shoreline, and accross from hoover all the way up to wherever the river starts at any given depth, usually the flats, all has excellent access for all ages, and i have yet to get skunked at detroit. And when the lake is full, i agree with the hoover dock. Also check out the day use area a 1/2 mile or so up breitenbush. It costs 5 dollars to park, but theres restrooms, picknick areas, a dock, and tons of shoreline for all ages. And dont overlook bigcliff, theres some big bows in there. good luck, Brian

Thanks for this post. Really appreciate the info.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Not to hijack the thread is the ramp at big cliff open

B
bigsteel
Charlie_merrifi said:
Not to hijack the thread is the ramp at big cliff open

last time i was by there a couple weeks ago it wasn't

C
chris61182
capblack said:

You've caught trout at Mongold in the summer? Sure there's plenty of shoreline, but there's no structure or depth.

C
capblack
as of sunday, theres still a sign at the end of the road that says big cliff is closed. Brian

C
capblack
i never said i caught fish at mongold in the summer, if you read the post, i was talking about all the bank access. I catch most of the fish towards the flats, or up breitenbush arm. Brian
chris61182 said:
You've caught trout at Mongold in the summer? Sure there's plenty of shoreline, but there's no structure or depth.

D
Damn_Shaker
I'm not fimiliar with detroit. I've only been fishing at the dam a few times cause i'll always see bunch of peeps fish there. Can someone give the location of the fishing area mentioned in this thread and baits to use, very much appeciated. I like to take them kids back out again. Thanks

C
capblack
sure, i think the water is up enough to fish at breitenbush day use area. go up into detroit and make a left at the marina, its only a mile or so on your left. bring 5 bucks for parking, but its worth it. the kids will get into some fish, and i almost always use power bait eggs. get a few colors, but green, pink, and orange seem to be the best. good luck, Brian
Damn_Shaker said:
I'm not fimiliar with detroit. I've only been fishing at the dam a few times cause i'll always see bunch of peeps fish there. Can someone give the location of the fishing area mentioned in this thread and baits to use, very much appeciated. I like to take them kids back out again. Thanks