Astoria sturgeon in June--who's going?

C
Coastalfisherman
I will be there most of the month of June, who else is going?

T
The Nothing
can't say i'll be there the month of june, since i do have a tourney in Depoe, but i'll be there once or twice...

S
Swamp Puppy
always wanted to give it a try...maybe this year will be the year. Been too dang hard to get a keeper in my neck of the woods these days, i kind of just stopped going out for Sturg after a few trips this year.

F
frodog
I am thinking about going but it will have to be a calm day last time I went down there it was pretty sketchy in my boat I ended up not beeing able to fish one of my favorite spots because it was a little ruff. Man I need a bigger boat.

R
Reed
I like to launch out of John Day, but have the same problen as Frodog . often it's to big of water for a small boat. You can always fish on the inside in Cathlamet Bay, just up river by the docks.

F
frodog
So it is not quite june but I went today anyway I was amazed with how calm it was at 5:30 in the morning. But that all changed when the tide started going out and the wind kicked up. The fishing was painfully slow I managed to haul up 1 shaker at 37.25 in and he was pretty beat up from what looked like possible sealion attack. I braved the super chop and headed for hammond from tongue point and all I got from that expirience is that I have no business out in that water 3-5 foot swells 10-15 mph head wind = soaking wet and cold.

R
Reed
frodog said:
So it is not quite june but I went today anyway I was amazed with how calm it was at 5:30 in the morning. But that all changed when the tide started going out and the wind kicked up. The fishing was painfully slow I managed to haul up 1 shaker at 37.25 in and he was pretty beat up from what looked like possible sealion attack. I braved the super chop and headed for hammond from tongue point and all I got from that expirience is that I have no business out in that water 3-5 foot swells 10-15 mph head wind = soaking wet and cold.

That is not fun! I launch out of John Day just for that reason, if it get naste or already is, you can fish on the inside or Tongue Point out of the wind....

F
frodog
Normally that is where I like to go also and that is where I caught the shaker but I had a Friend call that was down in hammond and said the magic words " Man every boat I can see is fighting fish right now get down here." so there I go.

S
skunk
My wife got me an early father's day gift of a guided sturgeon trip for saturday. Way excited, hopefully I will come back with something to report.