Astoria sturgeon fishing

O. mykiss

Hi everyone, I am going to be camping up at ft. Stevens state park for the razor clamming tides in may. It just so happens there is a sturgeon retention season while I will be there. Here is my question: I have caught lots of salmon from social security beach in the park but is it worth my time fishing for sturgeon there? I know that there are fish there, I just don’t know if they will come that close to feed? All advice is greatly appreciated, it’s been many years since I’ve eaten sturgeon

Casting Call

O! I have caught sturgeon in 2ft of water. Stealth is the game. Dinos that close in will be looking for small rock crabs and clams. I sit on the bow of the boat ready to pull anchor straight-up when I get bit and let the fish tow me out to deep water (then the fight is on). I also have seen dorsal fins break water in the shallows of 3ft of water. The grinding plates in the mouth are for crushing shells. You may even see me put in at Warrenton, fishing the shallows just outside the harbor or on top of a shallow sandbar in the channel plunking the deep holes using shrimp. Good luck let us all know how you do. Tony

O. mykiss

About 13 or 14 years ago right out of high school I worked on a charter up there and some of the best bites were fishing the sand bars at desdemona sand but that’s in the middle of the river and further upstream. I’m just curious if social security beach is too far downstream or if that’s a good place? Then again you said you fish outside the harbor at Warrenton and thats not too far upstream