Astoria salmon

S
SteelieRn
Went out of Hammond yesterday. Crossed a very amenable bar and trolled along north of the condos in about 30 feet of water. Got the first nook pretty quick on a cut plug herring right off the bottom. We had to work for them, but ended up with 2 nooks and 3 silvers. Trolled a lot of everything, but the herring worked best early along with another getting hits on anchovies. When the herring got slow I put on the 4" pink hoochie with a #4 spinner blade and it started up again. About the time you'd get ready to move, you'd get bit.. All I used was herring on the bottom behind 12 oz lead, then changed to a pink hoochie (thanks again Irishrover) and put more fish to the boat than anything else. Lots, and I mean lots, of short strikes and coming off at the boat. I'm guessing the nooks we got in the boat to from 12-15 and the silvers 6-7 lbs. Very bright fish.

Go get em', Fish counter said the bridge was slow, but don't know that for a fact.

C_Run
C_Run
Good job, good to know, thanks for the report. Stoked to be making a B-10 trip again in a few weeks.

Irishrover
Irishrover
SteelieRn said:
Went out of Hammond yesterday. Crossed a very amenable bar and trolled along north of the condos in about 30 feet of water. Got the first nook pretty quick on a cut plug herring right off the bottom. We had to work for them, but ended up with 2 nooks and 3 silvers. Trolled a lot of everything, but the herring worked best early along with another getting hits on anchovies. When the herring got slow I put on the 4" pink hoochie with a #4 spinner blade and it started up again. About the time you'd get ready to move, you'd get bit.. All I used was herring on the bottom behind 12 oz lead, then changed to a pink hoochie (thanks again Irishrover) and put more fish to the boat than anything else. Lots, and I mean lots, of short strikes and coming off at the boat. I'm guessing the nooks we got in the boat to from 12-15 and the silvers 6-7 lbs. Very bright fish.

Go get em', Fish counter said the bridge was slow, but don't know that for a fact.

That's right where I was fishing yesterday. We put three chinooks and two silvers in the boat. Released a hand full of non hatchery silvers and lost a few. We had a few shakers too. We used the pink hoochie also green and the root beer colored ones. We had one rod set with an anchovy and it worked well too. What a nice day to be out on the ocean and both ways on the bar went very well. I heard the river was slow yesterday but I just walked back from the boat and I talked to 4 guys who got their 4 chinook on the river above the bridge this morning on the Washington side. They fished the top of the incoming tide.

F
fishsauce
I fished Saturday from 10am to about 12:30pm above the bridge. Wind picked up and blew us off the river. We went 1/1, a 20lb chinook. Got my friend her first salmon ever! We were in 35 FOW along the southern edge of the sand bar. Saw one other net fly for about 200 boats while I was there.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
We fished about 8 to 2 on Saturday. Two tail nips, spread my hooks farther apart and never got another bite to find out if it would work better. Fished the bridge, trolling with a group of about 4 boats. Also fished the south side of the sand bars at Tongue Point. Got one bite there, but no reward. The little action we got was on chartreuse dyed green label herring behind a Short Bus Sweet Abby flasher. I think the low pressure killed it this weekend. Wish I could hit B10 for the open but I will be camping on the Santiam River where there isn't enough water to fish. Ill be back in Astoria on Aug 8 though!

Cheers,

Chris

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think you be fine hitting it the second week of August. The weather in the Valley looks like it's going to be hot and that always brings the strong winds to the coast. I'm not even thinking about the ocean this coming week. Looks like it will be small craft advisory through Saturday. Those same winds can mess with the river too.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Good advice for sure! I am fishing out of a 15 foot Smoker Craft so it has its limits. I just keep a cool head and try my best to anticipate afternoon chop and get off the water before it starts.

Where do you feel, is the best source for complete weather for the lower Columbia and coast?

Cheers,

Chris