Arrogance offensive to "the fish gods"

D
dozer365
And I apologize.

Lately I have been taking a lot of time away from fishing compared to my usual. I have been out a few times on boats, another unusual thing for me, and I have been bobber fishing eggs hunting salmon. And yet another thing out of the "norm" for me. Haven't done bad. Actually started to expect to bring fish home hahaaha.
Anyway I go out Friday hunting coho after work. Take about 4 oz of eggs out and have less then 2 hours to fish. Hike in to a spot and bobber down within 3 turns In the pool. Jack coho. Clipped. Toss it back. Rebait and cast out. Nothing more. Then last 20 min of light fish everywhere. I had saved a bait for this. Cast. Bobber down. Set hook. Nothing. Thinking I had missed. Nope. Broke my leader about 2 inches above my hook.
Saturday I head out at 630 to get em' !!! Take a bunch of eggs and and a few spoons and spinners. Start by casting a spoon. Get a line burner and it drops it while peeling drag. A hole or two later. Same spoon. First cast. Fish on. Have it on long enough to reposition my feet and it comes off. 2-3 cast later. I get a bump set the hook and my freaking reel handle breaks. This is the second okuma solstice I've had this happen with. I lost my spoon also. So I was bobber fishing the rest of the day and was okay with that. Went through 2 skiens of eggs and not a take other then another jack.
Sunday I I'm frustrated with these coho and head after a "sure bet" summers at Mciver. Meet my buddy in the parking lot. Go over my approach with him, and him with I. We cover water pretty well together. Anyway. I went to my spot. Crouch on a little bit of a bluff by tree I cast a size 3 spinner into the tailout and tick tick tick boom. Fish on. It runs briefly and comes to my feet. Thrashed a bit and held about 12 feet off the bank almost in front of me. I can see it is a smaller steel. I made a very cocky choice to call my buddy and brag while I fought the fish. It rang and as soon as he picked up my line went slack!!! He answered in time to hear a few explitives and I quickly told him I had hooked and lost a fish. While on the phone I tossed my spinner back out and as soon as it landed boom!! Fish on. Tell him I'm hooked back up and drop my phone. Fish off. I fished hard for a few hours and no other takers.
Moral of the weekend... Be grateful for each hook up. Besides crow makes terrible pie.

O
OnTheFly
Good action for a single day though and you had all the right stuff.

E
eugene1
Sounds like you're doing something right dozer, just got to seal the deal. I actually like getting bumped by fish it means I'm in the zone. Of course I live for landing them too though!

Are you making sure your hooks are needle sharp? Not sure what else a guy can do as long as you keep the right tension on the line and keep the drag not too tight.

Best,

B
bran_man
Are you using the treble hook that comes on the spinner? I always switch to siwash single hook and have only lost 1 fish since switching over....sucks about all the losses but better than getting skunked

hobster
hobster
Be grateful for each hook up right! Calling your friend while landing a fish.............ehhhhh..........karma? Not trying to be a jerk but I never get too excited till its on the bank, lost too many.

F
FishFinger
The fish gods can often be fickle indeed.

Were it that you'd lost a large amount of gear, the cure would be simply be to throw handfuls of copper coinage into the water to pay the fish gods their vig.

But that's not the issue at hand...

Perhaps releasing that Jack somehow offended the FGs. A gift not accepted could antagonize the FGs and in return they condemned you to returning home fishless with stories of what could have been.

This is all unconfirmed speculation as the FGs don't speak to me, they channel my wife and reward her often...

When fishing roe do you add a small amount of yarn to your offering? Upon a strike often the yarn will catch on their teeth increasing the oppertunity to achieve a hook set.

If you have a pair of lucky socks perhaps you could pledge to the FGs to wear them daily until your hatchery tag is filled. This too is speculation, however based on first hand observations; the unwashed masses of combat fishermen have the "aroma" of success quite often...

As you can see I have no "actual" earthly plane advice to offer, but regarding superstitions; work on getting right with the Fish Gods is worth it's weight in fish scales...

bass
bass
That was a really fun read. Look at this way, it is good to get all of your bad luck for the next ten years out in a couple of days.

C
ChezJfrey
hobster said:
Be grateful for each hook up right! Calling your friend while landing a fish.............ehhhhh..........karma? Not trying to be a jerk but I never get too excited till its on the bank, lost too many.

I'm still kinda laughing (just a little) about it considering I was the call recipient :) Boasting before the 'egg is hatched' is bad mojo indeed, LOL

S
SmallStreams
LOL. No more phone calls for you!

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey said:
I'm still kinda laughing (just a little) about it considering I was the call recipient :) Boasting before the 'egg is hatched' is bad mojo indeed, LOL

Awesome, i'll bet that was a funny call! :)