Around Licoln City

I
IDfisher
New to this forum, hoping to pick some brains. I am in Idaho right now and avidly fish for steelhead and salmon on the salmon river. The family wants to take a vacation to Licoln city on the last week of July. I was wondering if there are any rivers around licoln city that hold any type of salmon and if so, what would be running at the time? I know my way around salmon and steelhead fishing but I dont know how much different the game is when fishing coastal rivers. What do you use? We use lots of corkies and bait, also some flying c's and flat fish. Any info would be fantastic. Thanks in advance!

C
chrisohm
Most of the salmon are fall runners. There could always be a stray but check the regs first. You have the Salmon, Siletz and Three Rivers. I know that there are some sea run cutts that run through those as well. The Siletz has no bank access to my knowledge so you will need a boat, plenty of bank access on Three Rivers and Salmon river. The Siletz bay will also give you some clamming, plenty of purple varnish clams there. You can also go down to Newport for Cockles and Gapers. If you feel like it you can check out Fish Rock for some Greenlings or other species and Roads End has a decent little rock outcropping for the same. You just have to walk to the rock point and find a decent spot. Hope some other people chime in and give their 2 cents..

Have fun, fly a kite and enjoy your fishing possibilities!!

You could also drive over to the hatchery outside of Hebo and ask some questions there.

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Gnat creek will do fallies and springers NO coho (use waders here).... Salmon river (right by lincoln city) does springers, coho and fallies I believe alsea is known for their Kings in the fall being BIG, Silez is a favorite and gets Salmon both spring and fall not sure if coho go through there but they should. Little nestuca and the reg get salmon as well. Yaquina is good too but you have to go way up for them otherwise you will be getting casbian and what not instead because the bay goes way back. Again call uncle randy man he is a know it all fisherman 541-265-2407 it's Harry's Bait and Tackle.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

You will be mighty lucky to find any Springers in any coastal stream at this time of year. The exception might be upper tribs, which are likely closed to harvest. They run earlier than the summer steelhead, which are now entering the lower stretches of the streams.

Fall Nooks will just barely be arriving in Siletz bay, Tillamook Bay, Nehalem Bay, etc. But, fishing for those really doesn't hit full tilt boogie until August and September. The same is true for Blue Backs (sea run cutts).

My suggestion is to try the Siletz or Nestucca for summer steelhead. You can read archived threads on this forum, to learn more about methods, tips, and tricks to catch them. But in general, think smaller presentations and OFFerings than for Winter run fish (and lighter line too...I often use 6 lb. test leader). Use size 1 - 3 spinners, bobber n' jig, drift a corky n' worm, bobber n' pink Power Worm, etc.

I hope you enjoy my home state as much as I do!

Last edited:
I
IDfisher
Wow, thanks guys. I didn't have any idea if there was anything or not, must be pretty slim pickins in late july. Kinda bummed we're going the last week of july, the summer nooks are late coming to idaho this year and it should be on like crazy in late july, so I might miss some good fishing. So since there is a small chance on steelhead and not much else, anything else you guys would fish for in late july? I love oregon, it's a great place.

troutdude
troutdude
Suggestion: send a PM to OFF member RunWithSasquatch. He is camping right now on the Siltez. He'll be able to tell you how the fishing is on that river. He generally targets summer steel.