Areas on the Santiam to Get to Without Boat?

F
fishaman808
Hello all,
So I go to school at Oregon State and I wanted to get into fishing in the area and the Santiam seems like a great place to go and just chill on the bank of the river enjoying myslef and friends. However a lot of people been posting that you need a boat, so I'm wondering if there is anyway I could go and just park and hike down to the river. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sticky archives are great

Sticky archives are great

Welcome to the forum. :clap: One of our best resources is the archives. When we see a particularly helpful thread by the members we make it a "sticky". That way it will be at the top of each forum topic until it is "unstuck". Go to the Santiam forum and you will find a sticky by Kodiak which answers your question. Come back and let us know how you do. Oh,and we love pics! :D

L
lilsalmon
Love the Santiam!!

Love the Santiam!!

Raincatcher said:
Welcome to the forum. :clap: One of our best resources is the archives. When we see a particularly helpful thread by the members we make it a "sticky". That way it will be at the top of each forum topic until it is "unstuck". Go to the Santiam forum and you will find a sticky by Kodiak which answers your question. Come back and let us know how you do. Oh,and we love pics! :D

I fish the Santiam a lot. My favorite spot is the Rest area, Stayton bridge, and Jefferson to name a few....but do as Raincatcher said and check out the sticky....good luck and have great fun

L
lilsalmon
Sorry...got so excited to be back on OFF that I replied to wrong one....hehe...we all get it right? I NEED COFFEE!!!!

troutdude
troutdude
South Santiam

South Santiam

I think that Fishamon might want tips for the SOUTH Santiam, since he goes to school in Corvallis. (The BEST school that he could choose, I might add).:cool::cool::cool:

There are plenty of bank access spots on the south fork. Wiley Creek is a hotspot for summer steelies (and also EXTREMELY crowded). Below the Lebanon "break dam" is a great spot for Springers in March (can also be very crowded). The bridge at Waterloo, is good for both species; as there is a short "waterfall" that the fish have to get over (so they congregate in the pool). And, around the bridge where McDowell Creek flows in is a good spot for summer run fish.

Oh yeah, the summer steelies should start to run in March or April. So, you might also park at the I-5 rest area, and fish the mainstem of the Santiam too. And, I hear that the Green's Bridge area--on the North Santiam--may be good for cutt's. And that's not too far away from the I-5 spot, or from Cornvalley. (Hey I live in Cornvalley, so I can say that if I want). :lol::lol:

Happy trails...and GO BEAVS!:clap:

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
Springers do not enter the south santiam in March. However the end of april is a good time to start. If your looking to get out and do some fishing there is waterloo, you can plunk from wilbor rock, or the barrol hole. If your looking to fish for steelhead you can hit up baits bridge , i have done very well there over the years , starting now for winter steelhead and in march for summers. Pm me if you need more information.

F
fishaman808
Thanks very helpful, i went there earlier but I just thought that when it said boat access, that meant only accessible with a boat. Haha. Thank you

F
fishaman808
troutdude said:
I think that Fishamon might want tips for the SOUTH Santiam, since he goes to school in Corvallis. (The BEST school that he could choose, I might add).:cool::cool::cool:

There are plenty of bank access spots on the south fork. Wiley Creek is a hotspot for summer steelies (and also EXTREMELY crowded). Below the Lebanon "break dam" is a great spot for Springers in March (can also be very crowded). The bridge at Waterloo, is good for both species; as there is a short "waterfall" that the fish have to get over (so they congregate in the pool). And, around the bridge where McDowell Creek flows in is a good spot for summer run fish.

Oh yeah, the summer steelies should start to run in March or April. So, you might also park at the I-5 rest area, and fish the mainstem of the Santiam too. And, I hear that the Green's Bridge area--on the North Santiam--may be good for cutt's. And that's not too far away from the I-5 spot, or from Cornvalley. (Hey I live in Cornvalley, so I can say that if I want). :lol::lol:

Happy trails...and GO BEAVS!:clap:

Hey Troutdude,
Yes oregon state is the best! Anyways thanks for the reply and yea I've been looking around at other areas to fish and they are also seem very crowded at times, I just imagined when I came up to Oregon that when I go fishing that I would be alone, well with a couple friends, just relaxing on the river bank, like a calendar picture lol, is there anywhere like that or is there going to be a lot of people kind of everywhere

troutdude
troutdude
I stand corrected on the Spring Salmon run. I meant to say May and not March.

Places to go will be less crowded during the week.

There are also some good lakes within an hour or so...Olalla & Big Creek Reservoirs on the coast and Green Peter and Foster on the South and Middle Fork Santiam system (up around Sweet Home). On Friday, for example, I brought home 5 trout ranging from 15" - 17" from Olalla. I used a combo of one Spring Green and one Orange Berkley Power Egg, and floated it off the bottom.

There are other places to go too. Just let me know if you'd like more information.