Are you fast or meticulous?

S
Spydeyrch
So, when it comes to river fishing (perhaps this coudl apply to still waters too), are you a fast fisher or a meticulous fisher?

Let me give an example of both.

Fast fisher:

Gets to the water, and starts casting right away. After 2 or 3 casts, if nothing in that spot, moves on to the next obvious spot, doesn't opt for the "there might be a fish there" spots. Covers a lot of water up and down stream, but almost seems rushed to get to the next spot even he/she just got to the current one. Doesn't cover all of the water in front of them, just a few select holes/slots/runs then moves on.

Meticulous fisher:

Gets to the water and takes his/her time observing the water anywhere from 10 - 30 mins before even laying a single cast on the water. Takes time to read every spot in the immediate 30 - 50 radius. Tries every spot calmly with precision, and once they are sure that nothing is there or that nothing is going to strike, moves on to the next spot, even if it probably doesn't hold fish but is one of the "there might be a fish there" spots. Doesn't cover a lot of water up and down stream but covers all of the water in front of them. Could stay in the same 500 yards of stream for the entire day without feeling rushed.

So .... which are you?

I woudl like to think that I am a meticulous fisher. But I know that as the number of catches increases during the day, I kind of get more and more excited and start shifting to the fast fisher, hehehehehehe.

Why do you do it they way you do?

I try to fish meticulously because it allows me to make sure that I have done everything I can in that area. I don't feel rushed to get to the next spot. I enjoy doing it. I get out to fish because it allows me an outlet of stress, plus I enjoy it. If I catch something, all the better. But being meticulous is my zen in a way.

-Spydey

O
OnTheFly
I was convinced into becoming a Fast Fisher after spending a day on the Deschutes with Brian Silvey. If you thoroghly fish a slot and it only takes you a dozen casts or less to do it without a fish then move on. You cover acres of more water and run into more fish this way. It works!

M
Mad dog
Hmmm....both!!! Fast and meticulous!

Mostly it depends on the cicumstances, if I am fishing over a lot of fish they might get some time, especially if the water is high, cold or muddy. If the water is low and clear or I suspect the fish are few and far between I'm fast! I'm a sidedrifter by nature, one thing side drifting has taught me is that in a lot of situations it's best to cover water....meticulously! Sometimes in a 5 mile drift you find the majority of the fish kegged up in only one or two holes!

J
joesnuffy
With practice comes speed.

If you have a knowledge of where fish hang out you don't need to beat the water to death, after a few drifts you can move on.

Some waters I'll make a cast, drift it, take one step forward, repeat. If there isn't a fish striking there, why fish it for an hr?

Exceptions would be if you "know" a fish is in a spot and you keep changing flies or techniques trying to catch it.

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
hookbait
I'm with joesnuffy. When I hit a spot I'll cast into likely areas a few times and move on, unless I can actually see evidence of fish. This is driven by the theory that if I can't see fish and they aren't hitting they are 1) not there, or 2) not interested. If I know fish are there I'll get methodical and show em everything I've got.

K
Kevinb5688
I dont know where you guys fish, but im stuck in one spot because everyone with a rod seems to fish 5 feet from me. Lol
I like fishing fast but because of people pressure i fish a hole for 30-45 minutes then hop in my truck and drive to the next hole.
Last weekend i had the whole river because everyone was home praying for rain. I pretty much sprinted the river bank casting to all good water. Lol

L
Lamzy
I guess I am a little of both. I don't spend large amount of time "cassing the joint" but I do look aroud to see where a good spot might be to start.
After a dozen or so casts in and around a spot I normally find a place to sit and change to a different fly.
iF after a few different flys and no takers it is time to move on.
I don't get around real well in the rocks so I don't move very far from spot to spot.
KiltedBob

Irishrover
Irishrover
It depends on the situation. If I'm on the Crooked casting drys to rising fish, I'll be patient and work to hook that fish. I may not move for quite a while and just go one one one with that fish. However if I'm swinging or nymphing (searching) I'll move a wee bit faster, unless I'm enjoying the scenery and just enjoying the day. Sometimes I'll just set the rod down pour a cup of coffee and light the pipe. For me being there out there on the water is rewarding in an of itself. Hooking up with fish is a big bonus and I truly enjoy that too.

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
halibuthitman
I work a river different every day depending on conditions and water level.. I have slots that are literaly 1 cast shots and then a move... I have been accused of moving way too fast by a lot of people.. I have even gone to another river after just 5 or 10 casts simply becouse lacked confidence in the water that day-

R
rippin fish lips
Mad dog said:
Hmmm....both!!! Fast and meticulous!

Mostly it depends on the cicumstances, if I am fishing over a lot of fish they might get some time, especially if the water is high, cold or muddy. If the water is low and clear or I suspect the fish are few and far between I'm fast!

You just about took every work out of my head and posted it on this thread for me.

I am a little of both!! Low clear conditions, i like to cover a lot of water and fish every little nook and cranny i see. Thats water with any pool from 1-6 feet deep. If i see a hole that is maybe 7 or 9 inches deep i fish it with really small lures!! I find a lot of big trout in holes like that!

Last edited:
K
Keith
My wife would say fast. :shock:

My girlfriend would say meticulouis. :lol:

F
FlyBum
For me it just depends, just like others have stated a little of both. There is no way in hell I'm gonna hangout for 10-30 minutes waiting for a hatch or the weather to change, 5 at MOST. Plus I only fish dry flies to risers!

S
spmpdr
I to am a bit of both.... great topic for discussion by the way. i fish meticulous when im not fishing and fast when i am . What i mean by that is i plot on the whole area im going to fish . I scout the river and pick the 5 best places i think the fish would be feeding, then plot my path in the river then go for it . Once im in the water i fish the 5 spots i have selected , i only cast 10 times max before i stop check everything out and reavalute from there, sometimes i just change patterns or check to make sure im deep enough, other times i just move on . I think this method helps me move from spot to spot while keeping me thinking about fish and not overfish or underfish these spots .

J
jimmy
FlyBum said:
There is no way in hell I'm gonna hangout for 10-30 minutes waiting for a hatch or the weather to change, 5 at MOST. Plus I only fish dry flies to risers!

I was gonna say both, but I do wait and watch now that I think about it. If I see a rise I'll stalk it and if it rises more than once the rest is up to me and da skills.. last year I got a fish on cast #84 (approx. I had a active feeder and would cast at him ten times and move on and try later. . . halfway through the 9th attempt BLAM!)

that changes if I'm out for the day, or a few days.

I think that every cast is different in placement and presentation.. inches to us are yards to fish, the big hogs are pretty particular and like their dinner 'just so' If I have a fish flash or roll under my fly I will back off and come back.

S
Sinkline
This topic reminds me of a story.

Back in the late 70s author, Deke Meyer and I arrived at a popular "crossing" on the "D" where we hoped to release some good Browns. After donning our gear I immediately started working the run with nymphs, then streamers, then nymphs again but with zero success. While I was fishing, Deke (much older than me) sat patiently with his back to a tree trunk watching the river and smoking his pipe. His demeanor was so relaxed I wondered if he came to fish, or take a nap along the river? This went on for about an hour, me casting with no success and Deke sitting patiently. Then, in an instant, Deke sprang to his feet like he was shot from a cannon! His relaxed demeanor was gone and he hurried my way yelling at me to QUICKLY tie on a mayfly dry! Deke directed me to cast over a specific spot slightly upstream and out past the Cattails! Very first cast my Comparadun pattern disappeared and I was hooked fast to an 18" Brown of incredible strength! Deke had seen the first rise of the day!

And so it went for a couple hours, fat Brown after fat Brown came to hand while the hatch lasted! And then, as quickly as it started, the hatch was over and so was the bite.

During the drive home I remember thinking that for the next trip perhaps I needed to buy myself a pipe???

When I was young I was "fast", but with age have become "methodical" (meticulous).

Randy

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Sinkline said:
This topic reminds me of a story.

Back in the late 70s author, Deke Meyer and I arrived at a popular "crossing" on the "D" where we hoped to release some good Browns. After donning our gear I immediately started working the run with nymphs, then streamers, then nymphs again but with zero success. While I was fishing, Deke (much older than me) sat patiently with his back to a tree trunk watching the river and smoking his pipe. His demeanor was so relaxed I wondered if he came to fish, or take a nap along the river? This went on for about an hour, me casting with no success and Deke sitting patiently. Then, in an instant, Deke sprang to his feet like he was shot from a cannon! His relaxed demeanor was gone and he hurried my way yelling at me to QUICKLY tie on a mayfly dry! Deke directed me to cast over a specific spot slightly upstream and out past the Cattails! Very first cast my Comparadun pattern disappeared and I was hooked fast to an 18" Brown of incredible strength! Deke had seen the first rise of the day!

And so it went for a couple hours, fat Brown after fat Brown came to hand while the hatch lasted! And then, as quickly as it started, the hatch was over and so was the bite.

During the drive home I remember thinking that for the next trip perhaps I needed to buy myself a pipe???

When I was young I was "fast", but with age have become "methodical" (meticulous).

Randy

Nice story there Randy. Thanks for sharing. I really like the use of the word "methodical" instead of meticulous. Perhaps one could be both fast yet also methodical in his/her routine of fishing. I will have to think about that for a while.

What a blast it must have been catching those nice browns!! I can only imagine ... :think:

-Spydey