Are these salmon worthy?

F
fish_4_all
I made these up a couple weeks ago and was wondering if they would be salmon worthy?

JetJigs4.jpg
JetJigs3.jpg
JetJigs2.jpg
JetJigs.jpg

I think they should work as they are very close to the same pattern I use on a salmon fly that is simply awesome but I wanted some feedback. These specific ones are kinda large so I may have to scale them down but the pattern is what is important to me.

B
BobberDown
i think they would work some good color i like the orange and chartruse jigs but heck you never know tell you give the a swim good luke Dan

L
luv2fish
they all sem fine to me and the two bottom ones with white feathers or marabou....those especially can prove killer to silvers....

M
Mike123
They look great! The question is what hooks are they tied on? That will answer your question as to what fish they are good for. ;)
I think the top 6 look good for steelies, the middle 3 good for nooks, and bottom 3 good for silvers or steelies. They are look like they could kill a fish.

F
fish_4_all
They are on bigger hooks. 1/8 ounce on a 1/0, I know they look big but they are lead free alloys so the size is there without the heavy weight.

C
cchinook
flys

flys

Nothing wrong with trying flys for nooks , but you will find that big gobs of eggs and a sand shrimp will land a lot more . As far as steelies and silvers those flys look GREAT !

F
fish_4_all
I don't know that even a 2 handed spey fly fisher could throw these big things.

The "fly" we use here isn't fished like a fly. The thing that sucks about the "fly" is when the fish are suspended or you are fishing marine/tidal water. I won't see a season for Chinook here for another 3 years anyway and springers are few and far between in the Chehalis.

I will agree that at times eggs and shrimp can out fish the "fly" we use here for Chinook but it is a rare occurance.

M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
They are on bigger hooks. 1/8 ounce on a 1/0, I know they look big but they are lead free alloys so the size is there without the heavy weight.

I'd definitely try these for Coho in low water!!!

Those bodies sure are different! How do you tie them? :)

F
fish_4_all
That is a weave/crochet technique I learned a few years ago and have finally perfected it to my liking. It took forever to figure out how to get the body flat like that but I think it was well worth it.

M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
That is a weave/crochet technique I learned a few years ago and have finally perfected it to my liking. It took forever to figure out how to get the body flat like that but I think it was well worth it.

What threads or material is the body made of?

F
fish_4_all
Embroidery floss, inexpensive but a descent quality material with good color quality. Those are all made with DMC floss as I have not been able to find a quality one locally. There are better colors that are brighter but only come in packs of 6 different colors. Will get some sooner or later because I want some brighter colors and some more neons and fluorescents.

F
fish_4_all
You can't order from that site without wholesale credentials. And you don't want to ever order online until you know exactly what the colors are you are getting. The colors are not very accurate at all, at least not on my monitor anyway. Find them at Michaels Crafts or another descent craft store and you will have more colors than you can imagine. Once you see them and have the numbers is the only time I would order online to find a better deal.

If you want to try the fluorescent ones I like, do an Ebay search for DMC light effects. The fluorescent and Tropical Glow are really nice and are the ones I want to see in person to see if they will be what I really want.

If you find an off brand they are just as good except when it comes to the metallic and specialty colors. The metallics I have tried form a generic brand and they sucked big time. Really stiff and scratchy to work with and not very good consistent color.