Are steelhead as boney as trout?

W
wormosa
i have never caught a steelhead or fished for one, my question is are they as boney as trout or more like a salmon?

M
Mike123
More like a salmon.
I dont hardly even bother eating trout cause there's too many little bones.

O
osmosis
comparable to salmon due to their size.
steelhead and salmon have the same bones and in the same places as trout. spine, ribs, base of fins, and then pin bones. They are just much larger and its easier to avoid the larger bones.

F
FishSchooler
Y'all should try shad for the reel test. :D

T
Troutier Bassier
Shad..... Not the Best Fighters in my Opinion.

O
osmosis
Nope not good fighters, and I could never get past the smell to eat one. In a survival situation I think I'd rely on bugs before shad haha

T
Troutier Bassier
Haha, In one of Matthew C's Videos he catches a dark Shad. Lol.
Sturgeon dont mind Eating Shad.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Shad..... Not the Best Fighters in my Opinion.

Not the best fighters? Sturgeon... they're just uber heavy. and steelhead, you havent caught one. Do your stocker trout fight better? I dont think so.

Osmosis... have you ever eaten a shad? Not even the roe?

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, Sturgeon are Uber Heavy. And they Put up a Great Fight, Not Pound for Pound.

And when I asked my friend how Chinook fight he said "all you hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
So I kinda get an Idea on how Steelhead/salmon Fight.

Stocker trout dont fight at all. They its just hauling in a Log, I used to catch Trout on Subsurface Spinners and I just had to reel them in.

F
FishSchooler
Oops, hit the post button too many times! Down there. v v

Last edited:
W
wormosa
you need to go to the siletz and hook into a fall chinook, what a fight and boy is it fun

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Yeah, Sturgeon are Uber Heavy. And they Put up a Great Fight, Not Pound for Pound.

And when I asked my friend how Chinook fight he said "all you hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
So I kinda get an Idea on how Steelhead/salmon Fight.

Stocker trout dont fight at all. They its just hauling in a Log, I used to catch Trout on Subsurface Spinners and I just had to reel them in.

You can't judge chinook yet, you havent caught one. They are also uber heavy, and steelhead are more acrobatic then them. If you were using your 65 lb test on your salmon rod... I bet all you would hear would be "creak creak creak creak" :D

P
plunkme
i would disagree have you hooked shad on 8lb line at bonnie? i think they put up a good fight and they do have some acrobatic skills.. and sturgeon they dont really fight til they get about 5 feet from the shore but man they dont come close to salmon or steelhead

S
steelhead_stalkers
I don't know if you guys have seen this but before I die I want to fish for these! I am afraid they would destroy our steelhead and salmon LB for LB or most other fish for that matter!

[YOUTUBE]Xt_A0Ip-aMw[/YOUTUBE]

F
FishSchooler
Especially how they catch steelhead at bonnie from the bank. They use 30-50 lb mainlines, and 25-30 lb leader. Talk about an not-fight!
Shad, 10 lb main, and 6 lb leader. Woo!