Are certain fluorocarbon really "invisible"?

B
bassman503
Wow, so i have a fish tank, about 35 gallons and was seeing which line was the most "invisible". I had stren blue, P-line 100% fluorocarbon, berkley vanish, and Maxima UG. To my surprise, UG was virtually invisible underwater. I had a hard time seeing the line. So why bother with fluorocarbon when Maxima does a good job with visibility and knot strength? Im sticking with maxima for now on..

H
halibuthitman
I only use fluoro for certain applications.. flyfishing in lakes and bead fishing clear water, for me it charm is its smaller in diameter than the same test mono.. otherwise I just stick with trilene or climax tapered leaders.

C
colbypearson
-fluorocarbon does the same thing with the sunlight as water doesn so the fact that you dud your test under house light or fluoroescent lights may have skewed the results

-fluorocarbon has no stretch like braid but still a single filament and more invisible than braid

-fluorocarbon sinks unlike mono and braid it can be key in some applications

-fluorocarbon is more sensitive than mono or co-poly but in my opinion not as sensitive as braid

people think that choosing line is about personal preferance witch is true but only to an extent to truly fish certain techniques "right" and to receive the best results from some rigs you need to know what line to use when. hope that helps a little, its not invisible but refracts light similar to water and on a sunny day its some pretty invisible stuff and certainly seems to help in clear water

Reactions: Markcanby
M
Markcanby
Maxima,Maxima,Maxima.............. I have tried a few things this past year an I will be be stripping it all off an going back. Like HHM said there are a few places you will need the fluoro when fly fishing but for anything else I say you can't beat Maxima.

C
colbypearson
Markcanby said:
Maxima,Maxima,Maxima.............. I have tried a few things this past year an I will be be stripping it all off an going back. Like HHM said there are a few places you will need the fluoro when fly fishing but for anything else I say you can't beat Maxima.

maxima does make fluorocarbon just so you guys know :)

B
bassman503
Yeah, all that light-complicated stuff.. Gimmie some line, bait, hooks, sinkers and a ride to a body of water and that surely beats school :D

E
eightweight
maxima UG and some floro for low clear is about all I run...maybe some braid in the salt for rockcod, but UG is where its at

S
Sinkline
If you choose to use fluorocarbon keep in mind that not ALL knots work well. In fact, some common knots are quite weak when tied with fluoro. If you coose to use fluoro. Google some info. about knots that are suitable. I have learned this the hard way by losing some very large fish while using fluoro. for tippet material on my fly leaders. One knot I can guarantee works excellent with fluoro. is the Palomar knot. There are other knots that work but the Palomar works well for my use so I stick with it.

I use fluoro. on all of our ultralight spinning rods for trout. I pre-tie all our leaders forward of the swivel in advance so I can tie a Palomar for all line connections. Palomar for single hook, then Palomar to small swivel, then finally Palomar to main line from reel. If you understand how a Palomar knot is tied you will understand how if you don't tie the components in the correct order you will not be able to tie all connection with a Palomar. Think about that??? :think:

I do not use fluoro. for my flyfishing. I have had to many breaks at the knots which are required in some cases with certain flys so I gave up on the stuff. I should probably try some different brands of fluoro. as I know some flyfishers have good luck with the stuff??? After breaking off a double digit poundage Brown with minmal pressure up close to the tube, and several other similar break-offs, I vowed to never use the stuff again and haven't. :think:

Randy

S
SantiamDrifter
I run flouro for summer steelhead, or any low clear water situation. Flouro will out fish mono 100 to 1. The trick is to have a strong flouro tied with good knots. If you combine the two, flouro could be the best kept secret you've ever had. One mistake people make is down sizing the line size when they switch to flouro. Yes you need to down size from a 10# mono to a 6# mono, but since flouro has a refraction index nearly identical to water, It makes it practically invisible. There fore you can still run a 10-12# flouro leader. Its important to tie good knots tho, as flouro tends to burn a lot easier then mono. Never use your own spit, just soak your line in water and pull the knot down slowly. But the best trick is to have a bowl of soapy water sitting next to you in the boat, the extra lube will help your knot side down perfectly without burning your line.

The only two flouro's I run are Plines and Seaguar. With Seaguar being my go too flouro.