Applegate Lake

T
Throbbit _Shane
Today i took a trip to my one of my favorite lakes. I got there around 1pm and knew it would be a good day as soon as i got to the water. The fish were jumping like crazy, i havent seen the fish jump so much since may and june. I had no problem getting my limit, i even C&R 15 or so trout. Although the biggest trout i caught today was C&R on accident, i got him on shore and it started flopping around shook the hook out and made a quick dash to the water. i went after him in the water but he was a lot quicker than I. the fish was about 14-15 inches and reall FAT, id guess 2lbs or more.

If you plan on going to applegate lake id suggest fishing at copper boat ramp, the lake is 30 or 40 feet from full, so a lot of the places are un-fishable, or a real pain in the ass to get to. At copper boat ramp i just walk down the road and fish where the water meets the road.

S
simpsoti
Nice!!! I had given up on applegate in August or so when the water was dropping what seemed to be a foot a day. Can you still get a boat in from the ramp?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Copper boat ramp is still accessible. There were 2 boats on the water tuesday, and one of them were kind and gave me their night crawlers as they left the lake. Worked much better than powerbait and power eggs.

S
smokin'salmon
Copper is still hitting well took a couple buddies out yesterday and all brought in limits + all were nice largest was 16" adn 2.6 lbs, took one friend out due to his SKUNK he has had on him at the rivers so lake fish just to make him feel like he can catch fish HA HA

T
Throbbit _Shane
Sounds like you caught the one that got away from me. Thats ok though, this week their stocking the lakes with some big trout. I read their gonna put some in Agate lake too.

T
Throbbit _Shane
This afternoon i went to my favorite lake again, i arrived around 330 and fished til dark. I caught around 12 rainbows, and kept my limit. The 3rd one i caught was a nice fat 15 incher, the rest were around 11-12 inches. I fished at Copper boat ramp away from the mud, i used simple nightcrawler and bobber. Make sure if u fish the evenings to watch out for the deer on the way home.

S
simpsoti
Nice job on the limit. Still trying to get out there before the fall bite dies off. Applegate has always been a favorite of mine. Not too many large fish but you can always seem to get a limit one way or another.

T
Throbbit _Shane
2 weeks ago they put in 500 trout that average 16 inches. so im guessin there could be some nice ones in there.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Went fishing wednesday 12-16. I only caugh one 12in trout, had a few bites and seen lots of fish jumping. Also i got a new camera the same day so i took lots of pictures of the lake. You'll notice in the pictures the water level is really low, iv shown a few people and they say they've never seen it this low. PICT0001.jpg PICT0033.jpg PICT0004.jpg PICT0019.jpg

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
wow thats REALLY low

S
simpsoti
Holy crap, just looked at your previous set of pics from when the water ways way low. Never seen it that low before and I've been fishing applegate since I was old enough to hold a pole. Wish I could have gotten some pics of the squaw creek are to scout for bass structure. haha. Next year.

S
simpsoti
Having a hard time figuring out where the second pic down on your previous post (way low water) is from. Is that the french gulch ramp?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Thats copper boat ramp from the opposite bank. you know the dirt road by seattle bar. I have more photos in the photo album on here.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I hope im not putting too many photos in my threads? dial up might have a problem.

S
smokin'salmon
was up there on Saturday and that controlled burn you seen was actually pile burning that got away from them on Sat, it was quite the scene as 2 of us fishing are SRBs (firefighters). But we had 4 people 8 poles at copper and no love tried below the rest area at the dam still no luck maybe 2 bites but hey thats why they call it fishing not catching good luck and maybe we should go sometime

T
Throbbit _Shane
I thought i noticed a few black trees LMAO. That's weird you guys didn't catch any, did u see them jumping? I should be getting a toon soon so hopefully i can get to explore the squaw creek arm of the lake. Did you guys try worms? You fished Lake Selmac lately?

S
smokin'salmon
going to Selmac this morning gonna try our luck there, I will let you know

T
Throbbit _Shane
Went to applegate lake again yesterday morning. Check out my blog for pictures.

Caught my limit of trout. gonna brine tonight and smoke tomorrow. uh yay yay. :D

S
smokin'salmon
decided today was a better day to go shooting with the kids, had my 12 year old daughter shoot her first 20ga. shotgun today cute as hell but deadly with her .22 I am going to fish upper Rogue tomorrow will let you know. Oh by the way nice fish!!!

S
simpsoti
Seems like you are getting your limit about every trip these days! You taking advantage of the new 2 pole license?