Anywhere (besides ocean) to fish near Newport or Toledo?

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
My parents are getting a dog from someone near the coast and they said i could do some fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
what kind of gear do you have on hand? if you have heavy enough stuff you could fish for steelhead somwhere

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
I think i have a medium light or medium 5'5" spincast pole with 4lb. test line

R
RunWithSasquatch
You could check on Olalla Lake, im not sure current regs or stocking, but they put recycled steelhead in there around this time, and I am sure there are some hold over trout in there. With out being geared for something specific, I would think that will be your best bet.

B
BobbiDollPDX
RunWithSasquatch said:
You could check on Olalla Lake, im not sure current regs or stocking, but they put recycled steelhead in there around this time, and I am sure there are some hold over trout in there. With out being geared for something specific, I would think that will be your best bet.

The trout in Olalla are really nice sized. That is my new favorite lake. As soon as I start feeling better, I'm gonna get out there on my toon.

W
wozniasm
Are you talking Ollala or Olallie Lake? By any chance is there any camping at the Lake?
I looked up pics of Ollala and it's got lots of personality. It also looks like a lot of toon possibilities for secluded fishing.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I was talking of Olalla, by Toledo. They stock it, and is electric motor only. They put recycled steelhead from the Siletz in the lake, and it can make things interesting on trout gear. Catarafts would be great out there, just becareful of the wind that blows from time to time out there, will make it hard to get back to the ramp. And I dont know about camping in that area.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
I thought you ment olallie and thats east of salem... Ill look for olalla

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
RunWithSasquatch said:
I was talking of Olalla, by Toledo. They stock it, and is electric motor only. They put recycled steelhead from the Siletz in the lake, and it can make things interesting on trout gear. Catarafts would be great out there, just becareful of the wind that blows from time to time out there, will make it hard to get back to the ramp. And I dont know about camping in that area.

Is olalla a reservoir or lake or river? I can't tell

B
BobbiDollPDX
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
Is olalla a reservoir or lake or river? I can't tell

It's a reservoir I believe.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Okay thanks:) it looked like someone put concrete in the river and called it a resevoir

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah sorry. Its actually owned by Georgia Pacific, I believe it was made to help supply water for the paper mill in toledo.

S
steelhead_slayer
does anyone have info for steelhead on a fly pole around there? thanks

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
I dont fly fish

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
RunWithSasquatch said:
Yeah sorry. Its actually owned by Georgia Pacific, I believe it was made to help supply water for the paper mill in toledo.

Yup.

There is no camping directly on the lake as they close the gate every night. There are a lot of opportunities below the lake as there are pull-offs where people have obviously camped, not sure of the legality of it. I do know that a security guard for the mill is who closes the gate. I used to BS with one of them and he told me that if there are cars at closing time they will do their best to find the owner and advise them to leave but they can only do so much and will eventually close the gate, of course to be re-opened early the next morning.