Anything about spinners

B
bigdog
Ok just wanted to get this thread started for talking about spinners anything about spinners, where to get them, how to make them, favorite collors, best size, best weather, ANYTHING about spinners. So lets hear it people LETS TALK SPINNERS

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Tuning your spinner...

Tuning your spinner...

I would like to hear from all you twisters on your method of tuning your creations. From the conception of a design to the tuning of a lure will evolve over the years. I know mine has...I still tune mine the same way, you that know me won't laugh but the newer members will. I use the bath tub, it has adjustable current and in the dead of winter adjustable water temp. ;), once you learn to rest your knees on a very thick towel in the very beginning. I do weigh all my creations after completion and it is amazing how close I can guess know much they weigh....
I like this new thread....nice call Bigdog.

Chuck

B
bigdog
See now I don't even know what this tuning means don't know how to tune or make it tunable I do know to make the wire a little longer(long enough to put two fingures together to spin the spinner) but as far as what tuning means or how to tune no clue. Then there is the weight no clue what weight for what size blade. So here is a good start to this fourm I'm sure someone can lend a hand in on this
The bath tub seems like a great place to test spinners if it wasn't for the sharp hook I would just give them to my 6 year old to test them for me but then she would get stuck:lol:
On the subject of getting stuck :lol: one of my dogs got ahold of one of my jigs:lol::lol::lol: I'm sure you all know where this one is going just picture a dog with a green jig hooked and hanging out the mouth. We are just happy she didn't swallow it.

Troutski
Troutski
Pets...

Pets...

bigdog said:
See now I don't even know what this tuning means don't know how to tune or make it tunable I do know to make the wire a little longer(long enough to put two fingures together to spin the spinner) but as far as what tuning means or how to tune no clue. Then there is the weight no clue what weight for what size blade. So here is a good start to this fourm I'm sure someone can lend a hand in on this
The bath tub seems like a great place to test spinners if it wasn't for the sharp hook I would just give them to my 6 year old to test them for me but then she would get stuck:lol:
On the subject of getting stuck :lol: one of my dogs got ahold of one of my jigs:lol::lol::lol: I'm sure you all know where this one is going just picture a dog with a green jig hooked and hanging out the mouth. We are just happy she didn't swallow it.

This could be an entire new thread....

Chuck

B
bigdog
:lol:Yeah it could be, could be something like What has been hooked besides a fish:lol:

R
RIVERFISHER
What Can Be Hooked Besides A Fish?????????????????
Here Is One Of Many Of My Hooked But Not A Fish.... So A Buddy And I Heard That There Was Steelies In The Alton Baker Area So We Went Down And Was Hokin Trout All Day... He Decided To Switch Wat We Were Usin And Throw On A Yarn Ball Thing That A Friend Made Him.. It Was A Little Light So He Had To Put More Umph In His Cast... Hes More Of An Over The Head Caster As To Me Im A Sidarm/whatever Caster...well He Was Castin Away And All Of The Sudden I Here This ''''crrrrrrack'''''.... I Looked Over At Him And He Was Like Dang I Bounced My Little Piece Of Weight Of My Head And Must Have Caught The Tree Behind Me And Broke My Line... So We Are Lookin In The Tree For His Yarn Ball And He Starts Complainin Dang My Head Hurts I Hit It Hard...i Looked Up And He Had It Buried In His Bald Dome Lol.....it Was Burried All The Way To Bend In The Hook... I Tried For About 5 Minutes Prying It Out And Could Not Get It So Finally I Just Told Him Im Poppin It All The Way through Since The Hole Was Almost Big Enough From Me Stretchin And Pullin On It Haha...man I Still Laugh About That Every Time He Looks At One Of His Yarnballs,..... He Looks At His Yarnballs Then Looks At Me And We Both Start Busting Up... Well Hope U Enjoyed The Story Sorry For Ramblin......i Got More If U Decide U Want To Hear...good One With My 3 Year Old Son In It Lol...have A Good Night Guys.........

F
Fishtopher
bigdog said:

Dan called me on this subject the other night...I've been slackin on callin him back. Hope you understand Dan, I've been meanin to try and set up some fishin with ya so I could tap your thinker with no distractions. As you all know, I think, my mom in-law, sister in-law, and nephew have joined my household this holiday season. It sounds like some of you have had experience with this. I feel your pitty from across the river.

Anyways, bigdog, get with Fishfinger on the subject of weights of bodys and blade size. Arctic or Osmosis can get you square on tuning and why(I think). Dan(and everyone else for that matter...), lets go fishin. I can't think straight at home, and there is a pile of my hair in front of me on the floor.

F
Fishtopher
Riverfisher, thats a good one! I laughed too hard on that one! :dance::lol:

I got one that involves my father, a goose, and Meldrums bar, but Ill save it for later perhaps...After everyone forgets about Riverfishers story!!:lol:

B
bigdog
Yeah need to pick the brains on the weights of some
So whats up with the fishing in the morning on the sandy?

K
Kodiak
Lol

Lol

Fishtopher said:
Riverfisher, thats a good one! I laughed too hard on that one! :dance::lol:

I got one that involves my father, a goose, and Meldrums bar, but Ill save it for later perhaps...After everyone forgets about Riverfishers story!!:lol:

So then this priest walks up an says.....

F
Fishtopher
:lol: Close...

F
fish_4_all
The best way I have found to tune my spinners to use a blade that hangs right to the bottom of the bottom twist BEFORE it is added. I also use a clevis that allows the blade to be just slightly angled away from the top when touching the bottom bead. My favorite blade by far is a french blade with the psinners I make as they seem to spin the best and I don't have any problems with getting them to keep spinning if I hit slack water or cross currents especially in tidal water.

Favorite spinner is a home made Mepps Aglia type spinner with an orange body and a brass or hammered silver blade. Second favorite is a brass bell body type Blue Fox type spinner with an orange or pink body and an opposing orange or pink blade. Great for fast deep water where you need to get down and fast but want to have a lot action to keep it off the bottom. Also stays in the bite zone longer than lighter spinners.

B
bigdog
Ok I know bc has good prices on there spinner stuff there but I found this place online in texas that is way cheap and I got some stuff from them and it is good and the price let me just say WOW

Troutski
Troutski
Gonna share....?

Gonna share....?

bigdog said:
Ok I know bc has good prices on there spinner stuff there but I found this place online in texas that is way cheap and I got some stuff from them and it is good and the price let me just say WOW

Well are you gonna share ..what's the site name ?.. I could use some more tackle, especially at a reasonable price..

Chuck

B
bigdog
now thats funny I didn't type that in like that I just typed in the web addy and thats what came up lol what the hell

F
Fishtopher
What is that

What is that

What color are those blades in the second pic? Looks like some super secret 007 blade...:shock:

Troutski
Troutski
Nice fish food...

Nice fish food...

bigdog said:
Don't worry my wife tries to take the mouse to the computer when she sees me going on that site now:lol:
Here is a few pics of some spinners I have made this week let me know what you think all......

Those are great, do you dress your own hooks ? This is something I need to learn to do....among a thousand other little tricks.

Chuck

B
bigdog
The blades are just nickle and black nickle nothing to secret its the lite making them that way
No I didn't dress the hooks myself I bought them at fishermans. Thats something I need to learn how to do next.

F
fish_4_all
Spinnertyersandpics.jpg

Now don't anyone get upset with me but I had to show what I use to get close twists on my spinners. I have to fix one of them because the little knob for twisting the wire wore out in 2 months but it works really well. As you can see both of them are ancient and I will eventually have to replace them but they work awesome even with heavy wire. I think my spinners are on .031 or .035 wire now.

The spinners are an example of what I like to use out here in Tidal water. They are kinda heavy for rivers but work all the same. As you can see, I can get the twists right next to the top. Does it matter, I don't know but I can do it so. :dance:

B
bigdog
Just to let you know what I have been learning like most other people on here have, you don't want to have it that close in fact you want enough room to be able to fit two fingures between the eye and the spinner so you are able to "tune" your spinners. I'm still learning about this whole "tuning" of the spinners but that is what everyone has been telling me including Bill "the owner of BC anglingpost"