Anyone want to fly fish tomorrow (Wed, Oct 13)?

F
flux
I have the day off. :dance: So I figure I should put it to good use and spend at least half the day on the water trying to get my first salmon or steelhead. I was thinking about the Sandy (that pullout just before the park entrance), Clackamas (McIver maybe?), or Wilson (guide shop hole). Anyone want to join? I want to hit the water by first light and stay until at least noon (or until I limit which is highly unlikely since I haven't even caught my first one). Anyhow, I could use a fishing buddy or two who knows the water around here. Also, in case it matters, I'm bringing my dog who is super chill and completely unobtrusive on fishing trips. So Oxbow is out for me.

W
waco
i could but i dont fly fish!!

Last edited:
F
flux
That's okay with me! You're free though? I'll PM you...

W
waco
yeah im free i have the option of work or not!!

98nismo
me and my buddy are doing the same im thinking wilson as my first choice or sandy im gonna decide in the morning. But im gonna get there after sun up. maybe we will see eachother. ill ask every one i see out there if its you, just kidding lol.

F
flux
I'll be the asian guy with a red jacket and a furry black dog (border collie/lab mix). Car is a silver passat wagon. :) See you out there!

W
waco
flux said:
I'll be the asian guy with a red jacket and a furry black dog (border collie/lab mix). Car is a silver passat wagon. :) See you out there!
so have you decide where you going?

F
flux
I'm thinking the Wilson. You in? If you are, call me. I'm about to logout and go to bed.

W
waco
i think im going to the sandy

G
GDBrown
So where did you guys go and what happened?

W
waco
i went to the sandy and got my first coho!!! :yay:

98nismo
Dang Imshould have gone to the sandy lol congrats Waco. Me and my buddy hit the Wilson started at jones creek walked down stream about 3/4 mile we didn't get a bite so we headed back to the car to head down river. We ended up at the burned down guide shop and found flux fishing there. (it was nice to meet you and your dog). We fished the rest of the day but got nothing. It was a new game for both of me and my buddy but it was a fun day on the river

F
flux
Haha...dammit...I had a feeling whichever river I went to, the other one would produce. Waco, consider yourself fortunate. If I had gone to the sandy with you we would've been skunked for sure. :) Nice meeting you and your friend too 98nismo. I had an appointment back in Portland at 5 but it ended up getting canceled so I tried out a couple more holes along the way back.

So, while 98nismo and his friend went back to his truck to get their gear, I had a bite and I had a fish on for about 10 seconds. Don't think it was a salmon or steelhead b/c it was ripping line off my reel but it was big enough to bend my 8 wt fly rod, which probably makes it a decent sized trout. I also tried mile marker 15 where I had luck on Sat. I had another bite there - a hard one - this time on my 6 wt rod with a 5 lb tippet and it snapped my fly off. Thus, the last time I use 5 lb tippet. I've already lost 2 fish with that tippet. Both bites were on gold colored bead-head prince nymphs. So I guess I don't really count the day as a skunk. Weird though, I tried a tiny dry fly on a rocky section of the river at another spot. Usually, I get a hit on 3/4 of my casts usually from smolts. But this time, not even one biter after an hour of casting over every riffle or behind every boulder I could find. I wonder if the rain pushed the smolt downriver towards the ocean.

Haha...in the last hour I was fishing, my dog completely pooped out and curled into a ball on a rock. I think he was cold, wet, and sick of being outside which I've never seen happen. He couldn't look more excited when I headed back towards the car. I guess 10 hours of fishing was too much for him. :)

BTW, 98nismo, did you guys wade down along the rocks? That was a primo big fish hangout - shaded, deep, seams, and tailouts. I kinda regret not coming back down to the hole after I found out I had more time to fish. Don't even have to cast.

Last edited:
98nismo
Ya that was a very nice hole. I went over there with out falling in and drifted some eggs and threw some spinners ( I'm not such a skilled fly fisher but i try haha) not even a bite. After you left a few more people about three per hole so lines got a bit crowded, but they were all friendly. On the way back though we got a nice bass. I might head to sandy this Sunday