Anyone want to fish the Sandy in Gresham next week?

U
upstate88
Anyone want to join me for fishing Monday or Wednesday of this coming week on the Sandy in Oxbow park? I had planned on drift or float fishing and maybe tossing some spinners. I am no pro and have not landed my first steelhead yet. I do know my way around oxbow pretty well so if anyone has never been I can point out the spots I have fished and where the other folks have showed me.

Last edited:
U
upstate88
So far I have clocked 45 hours of time on the river (made deductions for lunch and breaks) and hooked up three times but nothing has stayed on longer than 30 seconds. A guy last week told me to keep at it and it will happen in a really colorful way not appropriate for an open forum. Steelhead is a war of attrition for sure, never before have I put some much time into trying to get something on the end of my line. I am thinking of a full day Monday and Wednesday is what the doctor ordered.

S
smoky
Are you fishing from the bank. Cause I've been looking to float that river with my pontoon.

C
ChezJfrey
upstate88 said:
So far I have clocked 45 hours of time on the river (made deductions for lunch and breaks) and hooked up three times but nothing has stayed on longer than 30 seconds. A guy last week told me to keep at it and it will happen in a really colorful way not appropriate for an open forum. Steelhead is a war of attrition for sure, never before have I put some much time into trying to get something on the end of my line. I am thinking of a full day Monday and Wednesday is what the doctor ordered.

If you've hooked up a few times, you're doing pretty well. I fished for 13 months before landing my first steelhead, and probably about 6 months before my first hookup that was nearly immediately lost after shaking the hook. After you land one, it inexplicably gets 'easier'. Don't know exactly why or how, but somehow your intuition gets better and hookups/landing becomes more frequent.

And my curiosity about this description in a 'really colorful way' is piqued!

U
upstate88
smoky said:
Are you fishing from the bank. Cause I've been looking to float that river with my pontoon.

I am confined to the bank for the time. I have never fished from a drift boat before but would love to try.

U
upstate88
ChezJfrey said:
If you've hooked up a few times, you're doing pretty well. I fished for 13 months before landing my first steelhead, and probably about 6 months before my first hookup that was nearly immediately lost after shaking the hook. After you land one, it inexplicably gets 'easier'. Don't know exactly why or how, but somehow your intuition gets better and hookups/landing becomes more frequent.

And my curiosity about this description in a 'really colorful way' is piqued!

he said keep stroking it and something about a fish finally finally arriving.

J
JonT
Can't do Oxbow, but around Dabney, yes, I'll be there.

U
upstate88
JonT said:
Can't do Oxbow, but around Dabney, yes, I'll be there.

Dabney huh? Never been there I will check the map. Is Dabney your regular stomping grounds?

J
JonT
upstate88 said:
Dabney huh? Never been there I will check the map. Is Dabney your regular stomping grounds?

Every couple of weeks, when I don't forget my tackle.

U
upstate88
Dabney is not to far from the house what day are you thinking ok going?

O
orkfest
Upsate88- it took me close to 10 years before I had one on and then lost it due to faulty gear..take heed and keep your gear up to prod, no need to duplicate my error.

U
upstate88
Looks like the water will be higher and darker than last week. Its not melting to bad at Government camp, the river should be good at least the first part of the day tomorrow. I will be getting there by 8am if anyone is interested in joining me.

Artwo
Artwo
Just a reminder, the pay machine for the park pass at Dabney is credit card only (no cash like Oxbow) so plan accordingly.................

D
DirectDrive
And park in the downstream area of the parking lot where your rig is somewhat visible from the highway.
I wish I didn't have to post that.

O
OnTheDrop
DirectDrive said:
And park in the downstream area of the parking lot where your rig is somewhat visible from the highway.
I wish I didn't have to post that.

Right!?.... Ridiculous

D
DirectDrive
OnTheDrop said:
Right!?.... Ridiculous
No, to the left would be the ridiculous section.

O
OnTheDrop
Lol

U
upstate88
Monday was a no go. The river was a bit higher and darker than I really knew what to do with. There was a few guys plunking right along the bank, but I was just not set up for that. I am going to go out tomorrow and see what happens. If anyone has a suggestion on where might work out better as far as the water clarity let me know, willing to travel a bit if I have to.