Anyone Using Scientific Anglers - Sharkskin - Trout?

P
psguardian
I recently visited a bankruptcy sale at a local fly shop (sad to see) & picked up a bucket full of goodies & now I have questions.

The fly line I picked up (for about $3.00) is orange & says Trout on it, when I go to S.A. website it says its the best stuff on earth (they all say that right?). I spooled up my two rods & took my brother out to clear lake. We had a heck of a time getting a cast off, between the wind & the extra limp nature of this line we got NOTHIN''!

Is this stuff for pros only? I'm newb yes, but with the 'conventional' stuff that came on my reel I was able to practice in a field pretty well.

Anyone using this that can give me some pointers, or just a strait up "go back to the cheap stuff until you know what you're doing" out there?

Thanks,
~psguardian

S
Sinkline
Did you buy the correct line weight to match your rod? Did you buy a weight forward line and accidentally spool it on backwards? I'm guessing your line that came on your reel may be a double taper in which case it will be the same on both ends, but a weight forward line only has one end that is the casting end.

You said you are a "newb" so these are just things that came to mind right off but I may be way off on your issue???

Randy

S
Spydeyrch
Sinkline said:
Did you buy the correct line weight to match your rod? Did you buy a weight forward line and accidentally spool it on backwards? I'm guessing your line that came on your reel may be a double taper in which case it will be the same on both ends, but a weight forward line only has one end that is the casting end.

You said you are a "newb" so these are just things that came to mind right off but I may be way off on your issue???

Randy

I would agree with Randy. Those were my first thoughts. Right line wt? Correct taper forward? Also, which type of S.A. line is it? Maybe that will help us give you better advice. :D

Good Luck.

-Spydey

J
jimmy
I've used sharkskin before and it's great, and spendy, stuff. It's gotta be the wrong weight or reversed wt. forward as mentioned above. It increased my long casts by 10-12 feet throwing big dry stoneflys, but the cost was around 80 bucks I believe so I couldn't justify getting it for myself, it also makes a hell of a racket stripping it back in. ( It feels and sounds like your pulling sandpaper through your eyes ) compare the diameter to your old line for a reference.

good luck,
~Jimmy~

H
halibuthitman
sharkskin for $3...? I think you got jipped, sounds exactly like a spool of cortland fairplay...which is quite possibly the crappiest casting line in the world. sharkskin practicly cast itself-

P
psguardian
I have only ever gone fly fishing once, a long while ago, so it is entirely possible this is user error.

How long should it be?
Since it looks like woven tube how do I compair ends?
The box was missing, so the only label I got was on the spool. It just says trout. No weight or line configuration info.

In the event that this is the wrong weight/configuration, can anyone suggest an affordable floating 5/6wt line? Or are they all the same quality until you hit $50+.

~psguardian

L
Lamzy
It is hard to tell if a line is tapered or which end is which but with a good dial calipers or micrometer you should be able to tell which end is where and if there is a taper.
Bob

P
psguardian
This is no standard solid body fly line... It's woven, it compresses & stretches.

~psguardian

J
jimmy
oh no. . . . lmfao. . . you GOTTA take a photo of this stuff and post it, I need to see what it looks like. sounds like dacron to me, possibly backing.

I'm damn curious,
~Jimmy~

H
halibuthitman
jimmy said:
oh no. . . . lmfao. . . you GOTTA take a photo of this stuff and post it, I need to see what it looks like. sounds like dacron to me, possibly backing.

I'm damn curious,
~Jimmy~
wow... bingo... nice call-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
$3 sounds right for a spool of backing on sale... a $70 fly line for $3 doesn't sound right (of course he could've dropped a 0 and it should've been $30, but that's still cheap for a Shark Skin line). Would certainly enjoy pix of the line too.

P
psguardian
jimmy said:

I'm damn curious,
~Jimmy~
I get the feeling I've been had, by my own ignorance & eagerness lol. Are all fly lines the cord like coated material, with the only variables being design & ingredients?

It would make more sense if this were just orange backing thrown onto an empty spool...

~psguardian

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Modern fly lines, with few exceptions, have very slick PVC like coatings over a thin braided core. The biggest differences are the tapers, if it's floating or sinking, and the exact formulation of the exterior material (this is what makes some lines supple and memory free and high floating, while others are hard, full of memory, and a pain to cast). There are some monofilament like fly lines for technique specific applications, and you can still find a few of the old-school style braided silk lines (which are usually sought after by bamboo guys. I've yet to see a guy waggling graphite or fiberglass with a silk line, but there's probably one dude out there doing it).

With a modern fly line, you shouldn't feel or see the braided core unless you've damaged the line or cut the end when tying a knot (and this is getting rarer, given most lines are coming with welded on loops for quick connections now).

It really does kind of sound like you've been had. If the line is all the same diameter (pretty thin, if it's just backing) and floppier than a wet noodle, it sounds like dacron backing line. There's a couple makers who make bright orange backing...

P
psguardian
Well that settles it! I've made a fool of myself, & nearly turned my brother off of fly fishing in one dumb move! It's orange backing......

Good thing I kept the cheap line that was on my kit to begin with! Since I was able to get a mediocre cast out of backing, think I have a shot with real fly line? LoL

Thanks for helping me pin point my error folks.

~psguardian

Last edited:
S
Sinkline
psguardian said:
Well that settles it! I've made a fool of myself, & nearly turned my brother off of fly fishing in one dumb move! It's orange backing......

Good thing I kept the cheap line that was on my kit to begin with! Since I was able to get a mediocre cast out of backing, think I have a shot with real fly line? LoL

Thanks for helping me pin point my error folks.

~psguardian

Don't feel to bad, $3 for a spool of backing is a good deal.

Don't give up on flyfishing just because you made a mistake on the line. We all start into new things with little knowledge and build from there. Grab a couple How-To books and get after it! I don't know if it's still in print, but the ol' "Curtis Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson would be a good book for you to start with.

Randy

P
psguardian
Oh I won't be giving up, like I said, i'm going to respool the beginners line my reel came with (on the back up rod) and get me a nicer line for mine.

Anyone have an affordable suggestion for a 5/6w floating line that doesn't have a nasty memory?

~psguardian

H
halibuthitman
im going back to kaufmans right now, I will pick you up a 6wt line if they are still available... thank YOU psgaurdian for making me think about going, I purchased 7 lines yesterday for $22.. saved about $350 bucks

P
psguardian
That is exactly where I was yes. I walked out with a $75 bag of (oh I'd say $250 retail) worth of tying gear! I am broke right now (& for the next couple of checks), so don't put anything on the table unless it really is a 'thank you' for the reminder. In that case, I'd be very greatful.

~psguardian