Anyone still use mink meat for crab bait?

J
JMeats
Couple years back I heard of a guy using Mink meat as crab bait and had a lot of success. Anyone still trying this these days during crab season?

Reactions: CastingCall
P
playhooky
I’ve used it in the past. Seemed to work well and the seals left the pots alone because the mink doesn’t smell like fish. Only problem I have is the availability of mink. Much easier to obtain fish carcasses, chicken or turkey parts.

J
JMeats
playhooky said:
I’ve used it in the past. Seemed to work well and the seals left the pots alone because the mink doesn’t smell like fish. Only problem I have is the availability of mink. Much easier to obtain fish carcasses, chicken or turkey parts.
I will actually have quite a bit of Mink meat available come this December, where would you go to buy that sort of bait? Any businesses you can think of that could use a couple thousand pounds?

G
Gulfstream
my commie buddy may be interested.How much per pound?

J
JMeats
Gulfstream said:
my commie buddy may be interested.How much per pound?
gonna be about 0.20 to 0.30lb

P
playhooky
Seems to me that from late September on through the end of the year would be a perfect time to be supplying any/all bait shops on the coast that would be selling crab bait. The boxes I use to buy were, I believe 20 lbs. The mink was skinned, wrapped in newspaper and frozen.