Anyone planning on jigging for kokes at Odell on the opener??

T
The Lucky Duck
I am new to this forum. Wondering who is planning on taking advantage of this mild winter to try your luck at Jigging at Odell in 2 weeks. I expect nice sized fish and a good bite early season.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
welcome to OFF!....cheers, roger

Last edited:
P
playhooky
I also know some nice kokes have been taken out of Detroit already this year which is a year round fishery. They count towards your trout limit. Unless of course you want to wait till the 25th and specifically target Odell kokes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
The Lucky Duck
playhooky said:
I also know some nice kokes have been taken out of Detroit already this year which is a year round fishery. They count towards your trout limit. Unless of course you want to wait till the 25th and specifically target Odell kokes.

Still trying to figure out the picture upload thing. This was last years opener at Odell. It can be a smoking hot jig fishery.

• 140429koke165.jpg
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the lucky duck said:
still trying to figure out the picture upload thing. This was last years opener at odell. It can be a smoking hot jig fishery.

wow!

Markk
Markk
I have never jigged for them. I may start trolling for them earlier this year. I wish I hadn’t missed your seminar at Cabela’s.

P
playhooky
The Lucky Duck said:
Still trying to figure out the picture upload thing. This was last years opener at Odell. It can be a smoking hot jig fishery.

I see why you hear Odell calling you. Impressive picture. I hope you do as well this year. I'm looking for a simple recipe to can pints or even half-pints this season. Bought a nice canner last year that'll do 20 pints or 24 half-pints per cycle but then never got the kokes to can. Plan on changing that up this year. Anyway, recipes welcome.

T
The Lucky Duck
playhooky said:
I see why you hear Odell calling you. Impressive picture. I hope you do as well this year. I'm looking for a simple recipe to can pints or even half-pints this season. Bought a nice canner last year that'll do 20 pints or 24 half-pints per cycle but then never got the kokes to can. Plan on changing that up this year. Anyway, recipes welcome.

Canning isn't too hard. Get a Ball canning book and follow directions for canning meats. Basically it is can under pressure at 10-12 lbs for 100 minutes. Keep jars and lids clean, don't heat up or cool down too fast. We only use 1/4 tsp of salt for 1/2 pint or 1/2 tsp of salt for 1 pint. No water or oil. For a special treat put cold fish in smoker with mild smoke for 20 minutes then can.
We start with propane burners when meat is cold and finish with electric hot plates to control pressure.

S
sapo
Dang thats a heckuva lotta fish at Odell!! Can you rent boats there?

T
The Lucky Duck
sapo said:
Dang thats a heckuva lotta fish at Odell!! Can you rent boats there?

Yep, Call Shelter Cove, they have camping, cabins, boat moorage and boat rentals. They also have a well stocked tackle shop including jigs.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Wow! Amazing catch. I'll be up there but probably not the opener.

N
Norfolk-N-Waypal
I'll be there. Spring has come early to the area, but I hear the long range forecast calls for snow, rain, cold, and wind. Sounds like last year to me. =) I hope the catching is as good as last year.

S
sapo
So how do you guys "jig" for kokes? For example, in Odell, if I went kokanee fishing for the first time this spring, where would I start?
What kind of jigs?
Where on the lake do I find them/what depth?
Trolling or jigging?
I need some help from you expert kokanee fishermen. I've never gone before and might go this spring, so can you guys answer my questions?
Thanks a ton.

T
The Lucky Duck
If anyone is interested in learning more about jigging for kokanee we will be doing 5 events at Odell Lake.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thank you. I'll definitely be at one of them.

T
The Lucky Duck
I forgot to mention all events are free!!

jamisonace
jamisonace
That first one sounds like a good date night for me and the Mrs. How long will it last?

T
The Lucky Duck
Seminars are about 45 min. But there is usually a lot of fish talk afterword's..

N
Norfolk-N-Waypal
FYI, all the seminars/events being held at Shelter Cove are all different. Attending 1 is good, but attending all is where you will get a huge Bang for your Buck. Oh yeah... They are free, so attending all will give you a huge Bang period. =)