Anyone hit the Wilson this week?

bubs

With the river dropping into shape from a big peak, and the temps warming a bit, thought there might be some late Chinook action out there. Was thinking of heading out tomorrow. Anyone been out there this week? Any hints of early winter steel?

I thought I might try in the late afternoon. There's a low-low tide right around 4:30 PM and I've definitely seen action pick up down low on the Wilson in the couple hours on either side of one of those..

bagold53

Planning on going out there tomorrow myself. Not sure if I am floating it or not. But it should be in transition fish wise. a little of everything.

OnTheDrop

Planning on going out there tomorrow myself. Not sure if I am floating it or not. But it should be in transition fish wise. a little of everything.
Yup, nooks around.. Few steelies. I'll be there trying to get some nookies. Steelhead if lucky..

bubs

Well, if either of you see some fool on the bank down near Tillamook trying to get his spinner out of a tree - say hello!

EOBOY

Hope to go out with bagold today gonna get a late start. Ben I got up at 4 and got your message.........let me know when court gets out......hehehehe

EOBOY

bubs

Well I did get out to the lower Wilson today. This fatty hen sure woke me up by slamming my spinner (shown in 2nd picture, #4 Blue Fox) on the 4th or 5th cast. It was a heck of a fight from the bank to keep her headed away from the snag I know is just downstream. She made 3 big runs downriver with the drag burning, but I was able to fight her back up, keeping the rod sideways a lot of the time to keep her from that snag. Minus blood, weighed in at 25 lbs. Here's to a good salmon year! That does it for me until those steelhead start moving: freezer = stuffed.

Saw some other chinook jumping, but only one boat - guess everybody thinks it's over?? Left after this because as you can see, not much room in my cooler for more than one...

Hooked up ~ 11:45 AM near Tillamook on an outgoing tide, water clear & slowly dropping just under 5ft on the gauge, air temp mid-high 40's. Swinging spinner slow near river bottom trailed behind a 3/4 oz trolling sinker.

nook2.jpgspinner.jpg

ChezJfrey

So, I guess you decided not to throw the spinner in a tree then...and that the water was a better place for it ;)

bubs

Haha yea, but I think that fish would have gone for the spinner even if it was in the tree, she was.....frisky

Hooked Up

Swinging spinner slow near river bottom trailed behind a 3/4 oz trolling sinker.
That's a nice looking fish! Not sure I'm understanding your setup, you have your spinner tied on behind a 3/4 oz in line weight? How deep was the hole you were fishing?

bubs

Thanks! Yeah, one of those in-line trolling type sinkers with swivels, with a little over 2 ft. of leader (more would be nice, but hard to cast through the trees/brush). I don't know exactly how deep this hole is, but I'd guess over 10 feet.

I only do this when fishing deep(ish) tidewater from somewhere on the bank (I just swing it free when fishing farther upriver, where it's shallower, fish are spookier, etc..). I find the sinker drops the spinner into the sweet spot quickly and I don't have to work much to keep it there. No negative impact on the spinner's action that I can tell. If timed/angled right, I can get a nice slow sweep in the sweet spot across a wide section, if not the whole width, of the river - hard to do with no extra weight in that kind of water.

I started experimenting with this after seeing some of the local trolling setups that boaters have, and I've had some good success...but I'm sure other people have tried this(???) I also wonder how it might do fishing the near-shore lanes in big water like the Willamette or Columbia...maybe some day all the plunkers will take a day off and I can try it.

EOBOY

Bagold and I went too but didn't have you're luck. I did find an interesting "thing" on a trip over to the Trask the same day. Wondering down a trail to the river something caught my eye high up on an old root ball covered in moss. It was shiny and black and looked like a deer hoof, confused I moved closer thinking how could that get there? I left the trail and had to climb up the root ball to get close. Now I thought, oh it's a Mussel shell. I climbed higher and reached up and pulled down this.

Attachments

EOBOY

It's kind of hard to see but it is a rock cut and polished on one side and the way it is cut it looks like a heart. Who ever did it sure knew what they were doing. Ben said it was some sort of ................gezz I don't know hope I didn't take some VODO IDOL.:sad:

bubs

Wow man that's a pretty cool find. Do you think it might be obsidian?

So this might sound crazy but I actually work as an archaeologist and have some ideas about what that might be...hard to tell with that picture though, but it's definitely not normal. Voodoo...likely

If you're interested, there's an event in Portland (http://www.pdx.edu/anthropology/archaeology-roadshow) this coming May I'm helping to run where you can bring that in and there's a panel of experts there that would be able to tell you what it is...just throwing that out there.

EOBOY

bubs no it's not obsidian I thought it might be when I first picked it up but I've never seen obsidian with layers. I would be interested to know what it is. The maker was someone who knew what they were doing.

bagold53

It's kind of hard to see but it is a rock cut and polished on one side and the way it is cut it looks like a heart. Who ever did it sure knew what they were doing. Ben said it was some sort of ................gezz I don't know hope I didn't take some VODO IDOL.:sad:
I think I said a Pagan artifact, most likely Wicca I am guessing from someone looking for matters of the heart. And by pagan I mean non Christian.

To answer another poster. It was fairly new, looked like modern day lapidary.