Anyone hit the John Day recently?

B
Bouncinbottom
Going to check out Cottonwood Canyon soon (and surroundings). Would love to catch a few trout. Would really love a summer steelie. Any recommendations?

S
sleepyogre
I was up at the Narrows this past weekend. The smallmouth bite was on. Seemed like each cast produced a nice fish. The catfish bite was slow when I was there though.

S
SailCat
Yeah, the John Day is really producing the smallies. April is generally the time of year when the largest bass are caught but now is the time for numbers. A fly fisher from San Diego was throwing poppers on Tuesday this week. He caught 107 of 'em.

B
Bouncinbottom
What should I pitch at 'em?

S
sleepyogre
black and white grubs were slaying them

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bouncinbottom said:
Going to check out Cottonwood Canyon soon (and surroundings). Would love to catch a few trout. Would really love a summer steelie. Any recommendations?
Just about any thing that wiggles or flashes will pick the smallies, thinking of heading over to Spray next week myself.

EOBOY

B
Bouncinbottom
Yep, there are a ton of little smallmouth in there! Thanks OFF brothers and sisters!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bouncinbottom said:
Yep, there are a ton of little smallmouth in there! Thanks OFF brothers and sisters!

Cool you made it, how's the weather over there? My friend from Pilot Rock and I are going to Spray on the 28th leave some for us:hi:

EOBOY

B
Bouncinbottom
Spray is a bit South of where we were camped. We stayed between Wasco and Condon, but drove down around Mitchell and Spray. Weather was great, it's nice to get some sun. Have fun, it sounds like people slay the smallies through June and into July.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I just posted the latest regs for the area. Be sure to check them out before you go again. :)