Anyone here trapped crayfish at Detroit Lake?

C
Crabbin503
Going to Detroit Lake this weekend to go camping and taking some crayfish traps. Has anyone here ever crayfished at Detroit Lake? If so, how'd you do?

troutdude
troutdude
I've fished the area for a bit over 5 decades. And have never heard of anyone catching any crawdads there. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any. Give it a go. What have you got to lose? Then let us know how you do.

Casting Call
Casting Call
  • C503 Cross over the bridge, go up the hwy half mile or so. Go towards Idana, turn right and cross over the river bridge,turn left NOT right go up stream fifty yards you'll be at the refrigerator hole, drop trap for about a hour and you will see why they call it the refrigerator hole. Please get back with the results of your catch. Don.t **** me off by not up dating with results. Good luck Tony

Reactions: Raincatcher
C
Crabbin503
troutdude;n613847 said:
I've fished the area for a bit over 5 decades. And have never heard of anyone catching any crawdads there. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any. Give it a go. What have you got to lose? Then let us know how you do.

There is indeed crayfish here at Detroit Lake. I walked the shoreline and found 4 lines. It was confirmed when the owner of 2 of the traps came to check his traps while I was standing there (good timing). He said he put his traps out at 9pm last night... he was there to check them at 10am this morning. I didn't get an exact count but he prob had 15 to 20 crayfish between his 2 traps. He was using regular crawfish/minnow traps with the smaller entrances and hotdog as bait.

Reactions: Raincatcher
C
Crabbin503
I'm going to put out my traps before dark tonight and get them in the morning.