Anyone here fish the Big Elk

J
jd15
am i the only one on here that fishes the big elk river

J
JeannaJigs
no, but you won't find many people talking about it...

S
skunk
:D See its little tidbit of info like this that keeps me here. Perhaps I should venture on over there sometime? hmmmmmm. :think:

18406ej
18406ej
I have never heard of it before- you should post some of your adventures there so that we can learn more about it.

M
markasd
Gee, now ya all got me curious!

S
skunk
Sounds like a get your boots on and go find out adventure!

troutdude
troutdude
It's actually Big Elk Creek. It's a trib of the Yaquina River.

The BEC's headwaters are OFF of the western slopes of Mary's Peak. The creek meanders past Harlan. It reaches the Yaquina, near the tiny hamlet of Elk City on Hwy. 20.

BEC has 2 trout daily bag limit, artificial flies and lures only.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I caught my first steelhead on it when I was 5. Its not what it used to be, or what it still could be. Its probably my favorite river to fish.

Never ending pocket water. #4 silver and gold Bud's. Good bobber water.

Last edited:
J
jd15
18406ej said:
I have never heard of it before- you should post some of your adventures there so that we can learn more about it.

i will im going this weekend ill try to post something on it maybe pictures to

brandon4455
brandon4455
never fished it but i will this year if i go with ya.

F
FlyBum
Gotta get over there for some Chrome Domes or Nookies some time!

Let me know when the big boys got the sea lice on them!

J
jd15
thats neat

troutdude
troutdude
OH GREAT! Now every ignorant SOB on the face of planet will go there and rape and pillage that place. There will be trash and beer cans everywhere. The creek will be over crowded and over fished! They won't care about daily bag limits, size or anything else about the fish. And the parts that are privately owned (and folks have permission to fish) will likely all be null and void. The owners will quickly get pissed off, by any trespassers.

Damn. Why can't at least a few spots remain a secret? C'mon people...THINK before you type!!!

Reactions: DG1959, Peaceful and brandon4455
F
FlyBum
That's my point, don't tell about your favorite place cause anyone can Google it!! Be a little more discrete!! ;)

R
RunWithSasquatch
They only put 20,000 winter steelhead smolt into the Big Elk, with probably 2-3 percent return.

And if you dont have a good feel for the timing of the run, you'll be disappointed like most, stopping to talk to everyone else on the side of the road hearing the "should have been here yesterday" story. ;)

Fall chinook have been closed to fishing in there for the past few years, so thats out too. They put a ton of money into it, putting several hundred habitat tree's in it, hopefully that helps. It definitely had/has a poaching/ zippering problem.

A
alseaalumaweld
dont think they stock steelhead anymore. all wild and no salmon fishing

R
RunWithSasquatch
They still release smolt in there from the Alsea Hatchery.

Winter Steelhead: Siletz (033W) Stock: Produce 50,000 smolts (8,333 pounds) for release into the Siletz River system.

Alsea (043) Stock: Produce 60,000 smolts (10,000 pounds) for release into the Alsea River system.

Produce 20,000 smolts (3,333 pounds) for release into Big Elk Creek in the Yaquina River system

Provide 1,500 eggs for Newport STEP programs.

Alsea Wild (043W) Stock: Produce 60,000 smolts (10,000 pounds) for release into the Alsea River system.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/HOP/Alsea HOP.pdf

R
Rhonda Sorensen
I have not but was there as a child. My Fathers Family lived in Big Elk City. Population 31 when I was there. 8 houses a general store and an old covered bridge.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
@Rhonda Sorensen I must be a lot older than you; as I don't recall any population along the Big Elk. LOL

P.S. Welcome to OFF. Glad to have ya.