Anyone have anything to report on Lava lake?

J
JeannaJigs
I might, tenatively be going up there with some family next weekend, and was wondering if anyone has been up there recently and could give me any kind of report? Last time I was up there was Labor Day weekend, and the fishing was, well, it was fishing and not catching lol. I don't know the lake well, any information would be great. Will be out there with a motorized boat.

O
Outdrsmn
Try the north and east sides of the lake with bait off the bottom...nice fish in there. You will see where all the boats are at. If you fly fish try the other sides of the lake by the reeds.

Don;t forget to try little lava. I have caught a lot of nice trout out of there as well. Especially early in the season.

F
FishFinger
I'd give the lodge a call and see how much snow is covering the camp grounds. You might be surprised.

I far and away prefer little lava over big lava. No motors on LL but you good chance at hooking nice trout. Big L is kinda a power bait / velveeta cheese lake where as Little L is all about hand picked garden hackle!

J
JeannaJigs
Outdrsmn said:
Try the north and east sides of the lake with bait off the bottom...nice fish in there. You will see where all the boats are at. If you fly fish try the other sides of the lake by the reeds.

Don;t forget to try little lava. I have caught a lot of nice trout out of there as well. Especially early in the season.
Thanks for the info. I much prefer little lava to big lava, mostly because i've caught nice fish in little lava, and my count from big lava equals...well, zero. I'll try those areas for sure.

J
JeannaJigs
FishFinger said:
I'd give the lodge a call and see how much snow is covering the camp grounds. You might be surprised.

I far and away prefer little lava over big lava. No motors on LL but you good chance at hooking nice trout. Big L is kinda a power bait / velveeta cheese lake where as Little L is all about hand picked garden hackle!
Supposedly it's open, so says my parental unit. Though when I asked if he called, he kept evading the question and going off on a tangent completely non-related...So..I doubt he called, and I'm going to laugh when we get there and it's all snowed in still. I'm not driving, so it's not my wasted gas. Fortunately, even if it is snowed in, I know that other lakes in the area are not...so we won't be completely screwed, there will be options. I'm with you on little lava, I would much rather fish it, but, it's non motorized, and I jacked up my shoulder today, so, I'm really not feeling the paddling. Do they really use velveeta cheese there? I know our old neighbor used to talk about using that stuff. That just doesn't seem right, catching fish with cheese, but whatever works I suppose. I really, really want to take up fly fishing this summer, I've tried it several times...and well...yeah...not so good at it, but I think this summer I'm just gonna give it all I've got, even though I really have no clue what I'm doing, If I accidently catch fish, it will be worth it.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
Do they really use velveeta cheese there? I know our old neighbor used to talk about using that stuff. That just doesn't seem right, catching fish with cheese, but whatever works I suppose.

I have never used it in central Oregon lakes but it is deadly in Hills Creek. Res. Grew up using it and have caught hundreds of fish on it.