Anyone have a report from the Grand Ronde?

C
craigatkins
Just wondering if the steelhead have arrived in the Troy area yet?

Reactions: OnTheFly
F
fishin_fool
I have heard they are staging at the mouth and are slowly moving up but not in great numbers. I have also heard they are slaughtering them at riggins and at hellscanyon dam I just haven't been able to go yet...
Mike

C
craigatkins
thanks Mike

thanks Mike

I caught my first steelhead ever yesterday on the Wallowa and just might be hooked. Good luck, I hope to make a trip to Troy this next week and check out the sightseeing if nothing else. Later, Craig.

J
joesnuffy
I'm in a bad location. Both Troy and Hells Canyon are a bit of a drive for me.

The fish should be moving up the Grand Ronde now, especilly with the rain coming.

Hells canyon continues to produce but also has a large number of people showing up.

F
fishin_fool
I have yet to go down and combat fish hopefully doc will release me so I can do something this next week but the word at riggins is really slow fishing this last week maybe the rain will help...

V
valleygems
Fished it friday with my dad. I was 6 for 6, he was 6 for 10... Fish have been in the Troy area for weeks, and in good numbers. Temps are dropping so they are slow on the fly, but most are doing well on plugs and or bait.
He's been fishing the Ronde for 65 yrs, Myself for 50. Grew up 30 minutes away from Troy.

S
solution7
valleygems said:
Fished it friday with my dad. I was 6 for 6, he was 6 for 10... Fish have been in the Troy area for weeks, and in good numbers. Temps are dropping so they are slow on the fly, but most are doing well on plugs and or bait.
He's been fishing the Ronde for 65 yrs, Myself for 50. Grew up 30 minutes away from Troy.
what river is this on ? I have been dieing to hit some steelies

J
joesnuffy
Interesting, I heard that the Troy area had slowed down this last weekend.......

I also heard that the Rondowa area has picked up a bit with quite a few fish being pulled out.

I really need to get off my butt........

C
craigatkins
I am a newcomer to steelhead fishing so my lack of success should not deter anyone.

My wife and I drove down from the town of Wallowa onto the Wenaha, then the Grand Ronde. I was using a trout set up and had no luck but did watch a local and his son in a drift boat catch three nice fish in one pool using what looked like a flatfish just suspended in the current as they were anchored at the top of the pool.

I talked to several flyfisherman who were not having any luck.

I just googled how to fish using the slop bobber and jig and I think I might head back up there in a week or so and give that a try. The troy campground was full and I saw people on the water but it was very casual, no big crowds yet.

Just wanted to add that we saw at least 150 elk, as many deer, otter, turkey, grouse, just about everything, it was a great day.