Anyone had much luck on bass yet this year?

SirCastAlot

Hey guys long time lurker of the forum but finally made an account due to some frustration on the bass front. Been skunked my last 5 trips.

I have not had much luck this year for bass; large or smallmouth.
I have fished the dorena on all banks, private bass ponds, farm ponds, kirk ponds, fern ridge and a couple of others within the last 3 weeks and have only caught 3 bass. 2 small ones and a 3lb’r out of the kirk ponds. Getting pretty discouraged.
Been fishing every bass bait imaginable, wacky rigged, texas rigs, worms, creatures, and lizards in multiple colors. Crankbairs, spinnerbaits, popers, top water, whole live nightcrawlers and at this point I think I would have more success trying to land me a supermodel wife than a decent bass.

Using a light-medium action spinning rod with 8-10lb chameleon line.

So, my questions are...
Has anyone else had much luck around the Willamette valley ponds/lakes this year yet?
Is it still to early for the pre spawn/spawn in these smaller waters?
Am I doing something wrong?

If you guys are having luck please feel free to chime in with any advice on location and/or lure setups.
Thanks guys! Looking forward to being a active member here.
-steven

Attachments

bass

I posted a report about fishing Hagg lake this past Sunday on the bass forum. I caught 7, but I thought I was going to do a lot better than that. I never really put together any kind of pattern. 2 on jerkbait, 2 on swimbait and 3 on wacky rigged Senko. Surface temp was 60+ degrees. FIsh should definitely be well into pre-spawn and the smallmouth must be really close to spawning. However, perhaps the water has not been warm long enough and the fish are still a little deeper. All I can know is where they weren't :)

SirCastAlot

I posted a report about fishing Hagg lake this past Sunday on the bass forum. I caught 7, but I thought I was going to do a lot better than that. I never really put together any kind of pattern. 2 on jerkbait, 2 on swimbait and 3 on wacky rigged Senko. Surface temp was 60+ degrees. FIsh should definitely be well into pre-spawn and the smallmouth must be really close to spawning. However, perhaps the water has not been warm long enough and the fish are still a little deeper. All I can know is where they weren't :)
I’ll have to give that a read, about what depth and distance from shore were you hooking up in?
I have seen plenty of bass sunning along the banks but cannot seem to entice them or anger them enough to get a bite

SirCastAlot

Go to Craine Prairie lots of them and eat all you catch! They increased the limit to 5 a day 3 limits in possession!
I have heard some tales of massive rainbows there as well. Sounds like it will be worth the trip. Whats the best time of year to head out? Also I’m a lonely bank fisherman is the bank access decent?

SirCastAlot

Well I guess I spoke to soon guys I just caught my personal best bass!!!

Hooked up with a 22’’ 6.2 LB largemouth today at around 6pm in a local pond near the Willamette.

Saw it cruising the banks 8 feet from the shore in about 5’ foot of water while I was working a white “booyah” spinner bait in a collision course with the bass.
She spotted my lure from about 3 feet away and aggressively approached as I let my line slack, lure hit the bottom and she turned to face it, 3 second pause, I gave it a tiny twitch and BAM, she snatched it up. Hook set and a short fight later you can see my rediculous amount of excitment lol.

Attachments

maxwyatt

Well I guess I spoke to soon guys I just caught my personal best bass!!!

Hooked up with a 22’’ 6.2 LB largemouth today at around 6pm in a local pond near the Willamette.

Saw it cruising the banks 8 feet from the shore in about 5’ foot of water while I was working a white “booyah” spinner bait in a collision course with the bass.
She spotted my lure from about 3 feet away and aggressively approached as I let my line slack, lure hit the bottom and she turned to face it, 3 second pause, I gave it a tiny twitch and BAM, she snatched it up. Hook set and a short fight later you can see my rediculous amount of excitment lol.
Nice fish! I'm going to take a shot at it after work tonight.

maxwyatt

I tried Kirk Ponds last night. Not a single bite. Texas and Ned rigs mostly, but tossed a mouse lure out toward the end to see if I could get lucky. Another guy was there using a Rapala he didn't catch anything either. Super shallow and *lots* of weeds.