Anyone goin up to Oregon City Thursday Mornin?

M
muskieguide
We are headed up to go fish the dock again but was wondering if anyone has room in their boat. I got a couple honey holes up there and was killin me watchin 30+ fish a morning comin out of them by boaters last week.

F
Finneus Polebender
I will be knocked out getting dental work done. Was there today saw about 8-10 boats river was a bit high and brown looked quiet in the boats all waitin for fish to bite.

B
Bad Tuna
The water cooled from 44 last Thursday to 39 on Saturday. The catch really dropped off and the pressure went through the roof. Don't be surprised if the bite is still off.

B
beaverfan
The bite hasn't been off. It's actually been pretty dang good! Filled half the quota in 3 days.

F
fish4life
Bite was definitely off on saturday dont know if it was water temp or the fact that just about every fish in the river had already been hooked. Thursday was good and friday was so-so.

B
Bad Tuna
beaverfan said:
The bite hasn't been off. It's actually been pretty dang good! Filled half the quota in 3 days.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but you need to stop!:lol: my best friends wife is on the team compiling the catch from last week, and the catch was far less than half. The quota is 2550, half of that would be 1775. Thursday approx. 500 fish were retained, Friday, approx 225 were retained, Saturday, less than 100 were retained throughout the entire river. Concurrently, the numbers of boats went up from approx 500 on thursday to nearly 1000 Saturday. I was also there on Saturday. Creel survey showed 7 fish retained for 67 boats when we left at 4pm.

B
beaverfan
Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
Yes, 1275, thanks for correcting my typo. Your 1200-1500 is an ESTIMATE. I just text my source, and she says the exact hard count is 971 sturgeon retained. Considering she works for ODFW, I'll trust her numbers. Also, last fall when anglers supposedly caught over 700 on with willamette in one weekend, the actual number was just over 400. FWIW.

B
beaverfan
Your talking about fish counted not fish caught. There wasn't a fish checker at the Swan Island ramp and I'm sure it wasn't the only one. The estimates in those articles are from ODFW not just some made up number.

M
muskieguide
We'll see what happens. Either way, I'll be there. I hope the lower count is right so we can have another weekend out there to keep em. I'm breakin out my super bait for Thur. on the dock unless someone wants to get into a ton of fish in my honey hole

B
Bad Tuna
As it was explained to me, ODFW takes the creel counts, and adds 23.3% to that for fish not counted. 23.3% is the satandard percentage, but number of anglers on the water can raise that. Currently, which model to use is why there is a delay in the tally. The managers are deciding whether the high success rate of Thursday carried through Friday and Saturday. If the managers believe the catch rate remained high, they could add as much as 46%. The figure of 971 fish reflects the added 23.3%. The staff that didn't want a sturgeon retention season is pushing for 46% as well as the Thur, Sat, Sun. The staff that wanted a retention season is pushing for the 23% and Thur, Fri,Sat season. It appears as though this week will be Thur, Fri, Sat. If Im wrong, Ill stand corrected, but Im told there is NO WAY 1500 fish were taken last weekend.

Last edited:
S
steelheader19
might go to bank fish the hole near milwaukie boat ramp saw a bunch of keepers cought there or bonny . last week my friends caught there limits under 1 hour

M
muskieguide
never fished those spots from the bank. Are they close to Oregon City?

T
trigzilla
was checked by ODFW at railroad bridge in Milwaukie today . Was told 1730 fish of the quota were caught so far.

S
steelheader19
not really the hole im milwaukie is downstream off oregon city
to get to bonnaville dam take exit 40 on 184 adn fish near tanner or on the island of the columbia river

S
steelheader19
you are very true, Bad Tuna
I hate when they lie about this stuff