Anyone fishing the crooked lately?

S
spmpdr
I went out there on the 19th and 20th and the river was just blown out, almost unfishable. The water was moving at over a 1000 cfs!!!! normally its around 200- 300 cfs. I have noticed that it has gone down to about 500-600 cfs. Should i give it a try? When it was blown out i felt like i was wasting my time. I couldnt nymph because the water was to high and trashy. My rig would get covered in algae or some weeds floating by or something on every cast. Just dont want to waste 20.00 bucks in gas to go fish and not have a chance. But i did get some new waders and boots for Christmas that im dying to try. :D

B
bigsteel
man i can't wait to get over that way.i would fish it hell just to try the new waders,im sure youde have the river to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
spmpdr
bigsteel said:
man i can't wait to get over that way.i would fish it hell just to try the new waders,im sure youde have the river to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think i would have the river all to myself, and knowing myself i will probable give those new waders a try just as an excuse to go out there!!!:yay:

B
beaverfan
That's the spirit, go catch some fish!

B
BigShayne
The group trout on the fly has a report I went this last Monday and Tuesday

S
spmpdr
So i headed out there yesterday and it was beautiful!!!! The water was a little high but very fishable!!!! I fished for about five hours , found a couple good spots i havent seen before and got about 10 hits on the day but didn't land anything. The good news is my new orvis waders and boots are outstanding!!!! no leaks !!!!!! overall a perfect day for fishing , i did get a little frustrated with some different things that i posted in the fly fishing section on this forum. There was actually a lot people out fishing there yesterday. Thinking about going again today......

B
bigsteel
good for you man,keep at it..just think you could have gotten skunked with leaky waders.just remember where you got all those hits cause thats where there laying

S
steelhead_slayer
i hope the flows are good. we're going this weekend. it'll be my first time there.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Is this above Prineville?

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
Is this above Prineville?
They're talking about the 8 river miles below Bowman dam. Best trout water on the Crooked.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
OnTheFly said:
They're talking about the 8 river miles below Bowman dam. Best trout water on the Crooked.

I grew up in Prineville and learned to fly fish rivers on that section. When I was 16 you could hit it any day of the week, hardly a soul around... 20 inchers on Royal Coachmans... those were good times.. :D

Down in the canyon below Rattlesnake Park.... Middle of summer, looking up at the cliffs on both sides... *wwoooooosssshhhhhh* I can see it like it was yesterday --- I'm going back this summer. I just decided.

Last edited:
S
spmpdr
steelhead_slayer said:
i hope the flows are good. we're going this weekend. it'll be my first time there.

As long as the weather holds out , the water will be prime. It is dropping fast now and should be at 200 - 300 cfs by this weekend

S
steelhead_slayer
great to hear thanks