Anyone fish Yaquina river?

F
fphowell
I taking a boat to Newport next Monday for 3 days and was wondering if anyone has fished the Yaquina River? Also, has anyone taken a boat up the river to Toledo?

S
steelhead1
Yes and yes.There is a run of nooks in Yaquina,troll anywhere from the bay to toledo (talk to harry at harry's tackle on the bayfront for more specifics).I have heard that it is slow,as it has been for a few years or more...Crabbing is good in the bay right now.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I fished it last year for chinook a couple of times. I trolled up by the Oregon Oyster Farm. Did not do worth a darn! Lots of vegitation in the water. We dumped the crab pots in the bay then went up river to fish. The trip to Toledo is a nice trip. The river is marked with navigation markers all the way up. I'm headed down there the second week in October for a good time. There is a cool house on the Island in the picture.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
I fished last Friday. No bites. Seen one coho smack a bait fish on the surface. As of last Friday they weren't in there in good numbers. BUT... after this rain I would bet there's a few around!
Crabbing is really good on a side note!

Try heading past Sawyers Landing up to the big corner. Troll all around that area. There is a big green post marker up there. That is the hot spot.

troutdude
troutdude
X 2 in regards to Sawyer's landing. That should indeed be the hot spot right now.

F
fphowell
Thanks to all for your replys. Any "best" lures for trolling? I think that I will try the "Holy Toledo" trip on Tuesday as it looks the best weather wise right now. I have a couple of crab traps, but staying in a hotel makes it difficult to deal with crabs, so trolling and pic taking will have to do. Any other species of note in the river?

M
Mike123
When I fished it last year most were using Blue foxes... But I don't think there's a best lure. I have actually had more success going to the hot spot, anchoring up, and casting spoons and spinners. Spooks less fish, way more hook ups. People over look this option for some reason???

troutdude
troutdude
I would try a flasher set (Ford Fender, etc), and a Hot Pink Rooster Tail. That works good for Ho's n' Bluebacks. And for bluebacks, I've been thinking that trolling a Hot Pink Wedding Ring w/ nightcrawler would likely do well too.

The runs are small for Ho's n' 'backs, but there should be some eager to hit your offereings.

On the south side, try trolling King's Slough for 'nook attacks!

You can contact Bittler Bros. in Newport @ 541-265-7192; or Sawyer's Landing @ 541-265-3907 for more information.

M
Mike123
Coho is closed this year though... :(

Blue/purple for chinook. ;) Every chinook I seen caught last year was on blue or purple or combo.
Coho loved pink and chartreuse.

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. I wasn't paying attention about the Ho's...obviously! My bad.