Anyone fish the Siuslaw??

C
Cohosanders
Is there any fishing on the Siuslaw or the tributaries around there?:think:

J
JeannaJigs
There might be ;) I know some girl that fishes that river religiously for winter steel.

S
steelhead_stalkers
The lower river should have some steelhead in it! With this rain and the good ocean conditions I have a good feeling about this winter. My group caught and early winter steelhead on the lower rogue river this week and about a million half pound steelhead. The half pounders were running big and I believe that there will be good numbers of big, fat steelhead showing up very soon! :)

C
Cohosanders
Thanks J.J. The fam is going to Eugene for T day and then me and the pit bulls are going fish finding on the Siuslaw. thanks to you too S.S. I love your web-site. Very informative, insightfull and easy to navigate.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thanks for the compliments! Hope it helps you out in some way. Should have some cool videos of bright chrome rockets from the Siuslaw in about a month.

J
JeannaJigs
Fish down by the town of brickerville :) (highway 36) Some pretty good bank access when the water isn't too high, which as of yet, it isn't.

T
tbox
I've been out to the siuslaw a few times this month, seems like the bigger fish are mostly upstream an the cutts are back in larger numbers About a month ago the river was boiling with bright and dark fish.. No salmon caught by me but I did c&r a huuuge 20+" cutthroat with some nasty looking jaws and a hooked snout. Beautiful river.

J
JeannaJigs
ahh i'm smart, just realized this was in the salmon section lol. The salmon yes, are upstream, and very nasty, but there are a few bright fish that come in late, I have caught a chrome bright hen with sea lice still on christmas day a few years ago on lake creek (lake creek this year is closed to salmon fishing, and the siuslaw above the confluence of lake creek as well). Steelhead are comin' in now though, and they should be in the lower river working their way up.

C
Cohosanders
Well that is good to know. I just caught my first steelhead yesterday on the clakamas and I am pumped to catch some more.So Salmon fishing upstream and Steelhead downstream? What about Lake creek, Green Leaf Creek or Deadwood area?? I will be arriving when it is dark so if y'all have any road names or land marks that would be awesome to know. I fished the clack today w/out a bite, but my friend landed a 27 inch summer.

J
JeannaJigs
Cohosanders said:
Well that is good to know. I just caught my first steelhead yesterday on the clakamas and I am pumped to catch some more.So Salmon fishing upstream and Steelhead downstream? What about Lake creek, Green Leaf Creek or Deadwood area?? I will be arriving when it is dark so if y'all have any road names or land marks that would be awesome to know. I fished the clack today w/out a bite, but my friend landed a 27 inch summer.

I'll send ya a PM at lunch when I have a chance, but briefly, you can't fish above deadwood on lake creek, that's the dead line. Lake creek is primarily a native trib, but there are a few hatchery fish in there, but not many. Lake creek will be a nice green when the 'slaw is chocolate milk, so if it's lookin' bad, lake creek is your best bet. The lower Siuslaw should have some fish...I don't know what kind of numbers yet, as I haven't fished it in a month...but there should be somethin'. Between swisshome and brickerville, there's quite a few pullouts, and almost all of them have good steelhead water, and some good salmon holes as well.

C
Cohosanders
Sweet. Thanks so much for your help. I was going to go to the mack, but I have not heard any good reports and I would rather be fishing a coastal river anyway. Can you keep any native chinook out of the slaw??:think:

J
JeannaJigs
Cohosanders said:
Sweet. Thanks so much for your help. I was going to go to the mack, but I have not heard any good reports and I would rather be fishing a coastal river anyway. Can you keep any native chinook out of the slaw??:think:

You can keep one non clipped Chinook a day in the Siuslaw. The Mac will produce in the upper river, but it's pretty chilly up there now so a lot of the summer fair weather guys have wrote it off, which is why you haven't haven't heard good reports because not many people fish it, but rest assured, there are some really nice fish up there this time of year. However, Summer fish haven't got anything on Winter fish, and there's nothing better than an Early winter fish, which is what's startin' to show now in the Siuslaw. A lot of the Chinook in the Siuslaw are dark, but don't be discouraged, they're not ALL dark, there are still bright fish in there, I guarantee it, they're just grossly outnumbered by their tar dark counterparts.

C
Cohosanders
So is the lower siuslaw swisshome area? I have been there a few times, but obviously am unaware of what is where and so forth. How about the Alsea...can you drive over straight from the Siuslaw and if so where are the best bets??

J
JeannaJigs
Cohosanders said:
So is the lower siuslaw swisshome area? I have been there a few times, but obviously am unaware of what is where and so forth. How about the Alsea...can you drive over straight from the Siuslaw and if so where are the best bets??

The alsea is nowhere near the Siuslaw. Lake Creek and the Siuslaw converge right near swisshome, so that's a good reference for the Chinook deadline. I can send ya a map of sorts of the area tonight that might help ya. Are you targetting Chinook or steelhead with the hopes of a bonus chinook or? because that will determine where you want to fish. They both hold in different waters on the Siuslaw, but occasionally while targetting steelhead you can nail a couple chinook..in previous years. The Chinook run this year was dismal at best.

C
Cohosanders
I guess I will target steelhead, but just in case I'll bring some salmon rigs/eggs. The map sounds great. I will stick to the siuslaw and see what happens.Thanks again for the heads up. If you ever fish the clack, sandy or eagle creek I know a few holes for ya(if you don't already know:shock:)

J
JeannaJigs
Haven't fished up there at all, so I will take you up on that offer when the time comes :) I'll send ya a map if my internet isn't all screwy when I get home tonight.

T
tbox
Drove Swisshome to Whittaker creek today, I saw two smaller fish roll in slower water, but the entire river is too high. Maybe by wednesday....

C
Cohosanders
Anywhere else to fish in the area when the water is really high? How about the Mack?? Is it a good to fish with high water?:think:

T
tbox
Not too sure what the Mac looks like right now, but its always worth the nice scenery if you can't fish. Some of the smaller tribs are looking better after the heavy rain. I fought a nice steelhead in little fall creek on sunday, but lost it. ;)

C
Cohosanders
Fished the Siuslaw today. Caught about 4 10 inch smolts and hooked into a monster that immediately spit the hook, but not before a chrome flash. It was probably a nook or an early winter. Hit my eggs bottom bouncing. All in all a great day. Thanks again for all your help especially Jeanna Jigs:D