Anyone fish Mayfield recently?

C
Cstylezwayz
Just wondering what is there, what people use and where to fish? I am heading up there in June to camp and we are thinking of bringing our boat.

Does trolling or still fishing work better? About how deep?

N
Nemotracker
My wife and I were up there last weekend for a couple days. We only caught one Rainbow, but it was a pretty and fat. Maybe 15 inches of so. We talked to quite a few folks who did fairley well. I was being very lazy and decompressing from a crappy (not Crappie) job, so I wasn't trying too hard. We were fishing with flashers and wedding rings (it was hard to get it off my wife's had, go figure) and using nightcrawlers and Gulp trout worms in pink. Most folks were using nightcrawlers as well. Several had 5 and 6 when they came in.
Good luck if you go.

M
muskieguide
If youre talkin bout Mayfield in WA, You might also think about hitting Riffe Lake also that is connected. Do what Nemotracker said and also fish the dams with worm and bobber combos and shrimp scent. You'll kill em. Between 6 of us yesterday, we hit 30 keepers in 45 min. Good luck

C
Cstylezwayz
Thanks Muskieguide. I will try both lakes I think. I was also thinking of fishing the river. In a boat, can you get from Mayfield lake to Riffe Lake? What type of shrimp sent did you use? Were you dipping your worms in it?

M
muskieguide
There is a dam between the lakes. Any shrimp scent will work up there. Mayfield also has a good supply of tiger muskies in it and most all of them are huge. I rarely catch one under 40 inches. I just rub a little scent on. Mikes gel shrimp seems to work best too. If you fish the Cowlitz, Hit barrier dam of Fuller road and hwy 12 and use eggs or sand shrimp under a bobber or slowly cast and retrieve corkie and yarn in the pool. There are lots of springers and steelhead in there right now. The Tilton and Cowlitz rivers both dump into Mayfield and trolling or still fishin at both mouths will produce lots of fish for you. Good luck