Anyone ever got their car broken into and lost all their fishing gears?

azntechi3206
Tonight, 11/30/14, i went to go play indoor basketball at a elementry school in NE portland and when i got done playing i notice that my car light was on, the first thing i notice was my fishing poles was gone so i knew right way my car was broken into. i looked around the car and everything was gone, two of lamiglas poles, my bag pack, waders and boots my car title and registration, money all gone. i guess i have to start all over, no fishing for me for a while i guess.

GraphiteZen
Man I'm really sorry to hear that. Worthless thieves.

Anybody here have some un-used gear they could stand to get rid of? I'm sure he would appreciate it! People here have done it before, maybe they can do it again. :)

DirectDrive
azntechi3206 said:
Tonight, 11/30/14, i went to go play indoor basketball at a elementry school in NE portland and when i got done playing i notice that my car light was on, the first thing i notice was my fishing poles was gone so i knew right way my car was broken into. i looked around the car and everything was gone, two of lamiglas poles, my bag pack, waders and boots my car title and registration, money all gone. i guess i have to start all over, no fishing for me for a while i guess.
Sorry to hear this.

They have your address, hopefully they didn't find a spare house key.

OnTheDrop
I too am victim of this about 5 years ago at McIver...

Hope it ends well.

Raincatcher
Never had fishing gear stolen. But, back in my days as a general contractor, my work truck, packed with my tools, was stolen. I got the truck back, undamaged, three weeks later...not even a screw driver left for me though. Keep an eye on Craigslist for the next few weeks, you may get lucky like JeannaJigs.

bagold53
Raincatcher said:
Never had fishing gear stolen. But, back in my days as a general contractor, my work truck, packed with my tools, was stolen. I got the truck back, undamaged, three weeks later...not even a screw driver left for me though. Keep an eye on Craigslist for the next few weeks, you may get lucky like JeannaJigs.

+2 also look into the local pawn shops.

PM me I might have a pair of waders you can have.

ChezJfrey
Raincatcher said:

Lame...hate those losers that perpetrate these kinds of thefts.

People, carry homeowners and renters insurance...pretty sure most policies cover this kind of thing. Before owning my home, I had renters insurance and when some costly stuff was stolen out of my vehicle, that policy covered the loss. You don't want to make a bunch of claims on those policies, but if it is substantial money involved, and as infrequent as it happens, it's worth it. That was the only claim I ever made on the policy, so my agent said it wouldn't hurt my rates if I didn't make another claim for a long while and the monetary value was worth it to me, after paying deductible. Took the sting out of what would have been > $1,000 replacement cost for me. Renter insurance is cheap...we're talking roughly $100/year.

Auto insurance covers stuff attached/part of the vehicle, and homeowner/rental insurance can cover stuff left inside. Of course, try to mitigate by leaving as little as possible, but I know sometimes that's just not feasible.

BamaDan
I hate to hear this kind of thing. I don't know where this happened specifically, but I live in NE Portland. I've always got an eye out online for fishing gear, and I frequent many of the secondhand shops in the area.

Since it was a Sunday night at an elementary school, I'd bet it was someone who lives nearby, and since they bust into other folks' cars and steal fishing gear I'm absolutely sure they're not incredibly intelligent. Maybe if they try to make a quick buck they'll keep it local. It's a long shot, but if I run across anything that fits the description I'll let you know.

troutdude
DirectDrive said:
They have your address, hopefully they didn't find a spare house key.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I've had 2 rigs broken in to; and it truly sucks!

They do indeed now have, your home address. If you have an alarm system, USE it. If you don't; at least keep things locked up, ask neighbors to keep an eye on your place, etc.

troutmasta
Ya bud, spent the night last year in NE woke up in the morning and my Rover was in the road with the doors open and it was raining. I thought "did I leave it like that?". Of course is was in the hood so people just drove around it instead of notifying the person in the house it was in front of. Lost it all. Cops wouldn't even come out to file a report had to do it online, I even told them I could see hand smudges all over where they ripped my stereo out and could guarantee there was a print. Nope.
Anyhoot lost it all, fishing gear, camping gear, knives, and my 1000 stereo.

I figure its Karma for being such a hellion as a teen,
But eh...some people just suck, sorry for your loss and good luck. really.

GungasUncle
Twice have I had a vehicle broken into. The first time was in my driveway. I had the car semi-loaded with gear, as I was going on a fishing heavy vacation the following day. I swung by my house on a break from work - only to discover my vehicle had been broken into along with the house. THey didn't take rods - but they took a backpack that had literally every piece of terminal tackle and lure that I owned at that point, along with a Ka Bar knife and couple other items lashed to it. $500 or so total loss on that one. I had a $500 deductible on my insurance, so there was no point in making a claim.

The second time the car was broken into while fishing on the Wilson - they left the spare fishing rods alone, but they stole a brand new camera from the center console, plus my cousin Tyler's backpack with his spare clothes, phone, and a bag of coins he used for bus fare - again less than the deductible for my insurance.

So now I try to leave nothing in the car that I would care if it went missing. That means I usually take less gear - I used to bring 2-4 rods with me on a typical trip - some as spares in case I broke one, or rods for different techniques. Now I try to take 2 at most if I'm hoofing it. Usually just one.

ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Cops wouldn't even come out to file a report had to do it online, I even told them I could see hand smudges all over where they ripped my stereo out and could guarantee there was a print. Nope.

Same experience. I had a soft, targa top Porsche 911, so there is no door frame around the window perimeter, just a small triangle frame for the corner. Apparently, when the thief attempted to enter the car, they tried to pry the top of the window, presumably to undo the lock with some sort of lever. This attempt left the four, right-hand finger prints clearly legible on the glass. They were evidently unsuccessful with this method and eventually just broke the small triangle window instead, to reach in and unlock the door.

The police did not bother with anything, and just told me on the phone how to submit a report. When I explained that I had clear prints on the glass, they did not want to bother sending someone out, "We don't do that." I offered to drive directly to whatever technician would handle such a thing, and again, "We don't bother with that." So why do they fingerprint all booked prisoners?

So one officer/person can't afford to take the 5-10 minutes, if I drive directly to them, to grab these prints from my car, for possible correlation to further crimes? But several years later, 4 officers, in two squad cars, had no qualms wasting 15 minutes hassling/intimidating me one night for the fashion offense of running in khakis? Go figure...

C_Run
...running in khakis...?? Now we are hungry for the whole story.

When we got burglarized three years ago, the main cop had the junior cop take some prints but that was just for practice since he had never done it before.

wils
X2 on homeowners/renters insurance. :thumb:

and X10 on the khaki story.:popcorn:

ChezJfrey
wils said:
X2 on homeowners/renters insurance. :thumb:

and X10 on the khaki story.:popcorn:

<threadjack>

LOL, you people really want to know what a jerk I can be, eh? Of course I didn't start it...

When it happened, I actually posted the details on my running club's forum the very next day, so I went looking for it because I'm sure I had more of the exact words still in my head, but alas, they apparently purged old history, and posts from 2008 are no longer there. Oh well, it was memorable, so I'm sure I can paraphrase things.

Back when this happened, I was an avid, competitive runner that was fairly well-known in local running. I raced 10k, 15k, 1/2 marathon and marathon distances, was featured in a week-long oregonlive.com column leading up to the Portland marathon the year before. I ran twice per day, every day, averaging 90-105 miles per week. Twice per week, I ran the full distance from my home to work, either in the morning or evening, and all other days, would run 5-10 miles, then hop on the bus for the remaining distance, or ride, then clock my run...every day. I actually would occasionally run into Tigard residents that recognized me for such antics. My most memorable was meeting one of my wife's new friends, her husband exclaimed, "I know you, you're that guy that runs and rides the bus every day...you look like a gazelle! I bet you could run the planet!" So, this is the context leading up to this particular night and my friendly, community police ;)

This particular evening, I joined a buddy from work for a couple errands after work. I still needed to get a 2nd run in after this excursion, and didn't really want to tote around my running garb and find a place to change, so I just wore a t-shirt, the khakis I wore to work, and some running shoes. At about 9:00, I was about 5 miles from home, and I intended to make this a tempo run; that would be about 5:30-5:40/mile pace for me at the time.

I'm running for a couple miles, westward down 99W, the light is green at Hall Blvd. and I cross. Within a few seconds, there are flashing lights behind me and a siren. I glance back and the car is creeping behind me, so I stop. Sure enough, they are interested in me? Two officers exit the vehicle and start with the obligatory, "What are you doing?" You know, because it's not obvious.

"Running."

"Where are you going?"

"Home."

"Can I see some ID?"

"I don't think you need my driver license, since I'm not driving, but I'll tell you who I am."

"OK."

I tell him my name, then he asks where I live. I give him my address. He goes back to his car, while his partner stays with me. Within a few minutes, another car shows up, and two more officers walk up. Quite the party.

When the original guy comes back, he wants to know why I'm running on the side of the road. Because I live further up this road? I see no reason for any of this at all, so I ask what this entire fuss is about. He starts into how I'm being suspicious, running up the road at night. What? I do this every morning/night...have for years...why the hell is this suspicious? He talks in a few circles and I bat them all back, confused at his vagueness and circle-talk, then eventually he narrows down his viewpoint more clearly for me.

"You're running on the side of the road at night, wearing khakis."

A ha! In my ever-brilliant wisdom and quick-to-be-a-smartass, I utter what was to become, among my friends, the most infamous thing I've ever said, "What are you, the fashion police?" From the next day forward, this guy was forever known as fashionista among 'my crowd' but I'm getting ahead of myself.

My simple question infuriates this guy. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he's mad! Hey, I'm not the idiot that said something stupid ;)

Anyway, he's trying to tell me about this 'suspicion', grilling me, so I grill back...

Did anyone report some sort of crime/robbery committed by someone matching my description, running away in khakis? Of course the answer is no. Did someone report a missing flatscreen TV and you saw a big ol' flatscreen peeking out of my khaki pocket? Would someone walking at night in khakis be suspicious? What's the speed threshold for suspicious khaki night movement? I clocked a 5:41 mile, then a 5:38, then a 5:37, people walk at 20 mins./mile, so would running at 8 min. miles in khakis be suspicious? 10 min. miles in khakis? What's the line for suspicious?

So the guy's getting irate and decides to shut me down with threats. He starts by making stuff up...

"Well, when you crossed the road back there, you almost fell flat on your face. You were stumbling across the street...you're intoxicated, you're combative, you're obviously intoxicated and I'm gonna take you to detox if you don't watch your attitude. Do you want to spend the night in detox?"

I'm stumbling? I think you simply don't know what faster running even looks like. Else I must have severely underperformed in my last 15k. I finished with a 5:41 pace that race and if I can clock a 5:41, 5:38, 5:37 tonight, while tripping and stumbling about, I was a complete chump in that 15k. But you know what, that's perfect, let's do that. I will call a couple of my lawyers, maybe Matt, Kelly, Julie, maybe Larry (in my running club, I had several lawyer friends and my mother works in a law office, where I know them all...granted, we're talking several insurance company lawyers, an environmental lawyer and a family court lawyer...but I didn't tell him that, LOL). I will take a blood test. Then we can have legal certification and unquestionable medical evidence on record about how inept and ineffectual your sleuthing abilities are. We'll also all get to see how 'combative' I have been for stopping, identifying myself, my resident address and conversing with you all in this glorious waste of everyone's time.

This guy eventually heads back to his car again, leaving me with the other 3 officers for a bit. I ask them if he's going back to check a dictionary for what that two syllable word, inept, means? One of them pipes up and tells me that I better watch my mouth. I ask him why, is it stumbling? I just smile :) Yeah, I'm sure you all can 'ruin' my night, and I'm sure you're all just gangsta proud of that fact. We all know the real story here at this point and evidently we're just gonna stand here until bruised ego's are soothed...it'll be a long wait because I'm an endurance runner, I'm used to discomfort, I ignore it.

So now he comes back and we're on a different tack now.

"You can't run on the side of this road, you need to get off the main road and take a back road."

"Why?"

"Because it's not safe, there's no sidewalk."

So let me get this straight. We're in a bike lane right now. Up ahead, right there, is an overpass, with a sign "Bikes on road" because there is a concrete divider and a sidewalk for PEDESTRIANS. And you are telling me it is not safe for a pedestrian to use the pedestrian walkway up there?

"No, it's not safe on the side of the road."

"So there is a pedestrian walkway, where in my 30 years of living here, I've seen hundreds of people walking, but you claim that they can't actually walk the road to get there? They would be prohibited from walking there?"

"You need to get off the road, take a back route...or I'm taking you to detox."

"No thanks."

I don't remember much detail after that, but I didn't agree and I didn't get arrested. I think they shuffled around a little bit, then eventually left. I ran home...on 99W, of course ;)

Gotta love Tigard cops :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
OnTheDrop
Epic^^^ .. I'm trying to give you reputation for hat, but I can't find how to? ..

Rockitout
NoPo, about 4 months ago, back window to the way way back was broken out. They took my dry bag packback will all my gear, my hip pack, her sling, my waders, and one of my magnetic rod holers.

Got lucky because they didn't get the poles in the back set. It was in front of my place, shame on me for not bringing it in. Insurance picked up most of the bill.

Why reprints of licences aren't free, I'll never know.

But, if any one needs or wants a single mangentic rod holder let me know.

wils
Time for a moniker change: ChezFashionista....

Doncha just love cops like that? Youre not the only one to run across at least one. Makes for great stories.

GungasUncle
ChezJfrey said:
<threadjack>

Gotta love Tigard cops :)

Joy oh Joy TPD... Moons ago when I drove a school bus for Tigard/Tualatin SD - we had a big problem with multiple cars running our busses' red student crossing lights at the same place, every day. Our lot manager wrote to TPD's chief asking for enforcement at this particular area - christ it's a double-dip fine for running a bus' red lights in a school zone, where these incidents were taking place. $1200 or so - the chief wrote back and said his officers "didn't have time" - why our manager didn't forward that to the local news media and crucify that toad was beyond me.

About the same time periood, I lived in what amounted to Tigard's Ghetto (the crappy apartments behind the Chinese food joint, right off 99 and Gaarde) - my meth head neighbors let their 3 year old loose, unsupervised on his tricycle all the time. After watching the kid almost get run over on 112th, with mom & dad no where to be found, I called 911 and TPD responded. They didn't even give mom & dad the arse-chewing they deserved (frankly, they both deserved a billy club upside the head for how they treated that boy) - they told us "it's not that busy of a street, we don't see any crime committed here" - Child Neglect or Endangerment isn't a crime in Tigard I guess.

They would, however, come out when my downstairs neighbors got into a fight (almost daily - a stripper and a half-crippled dude in an amateur rock band) - though they almost never took anyone to jail. Poor rocker dude got the crap kicked out of him A LOT by stripper chick (atypical domestic violence where she was the primary perpetrator of violence.) Sometimes I think the only reason the po po came, was because they liked talking to / looking at the "lady" of the pair.

God help me if I ever get anything stolen from me in Tigard.

FWIW - OSP nor Tillamook Co. SO didn't actually send a trooper to take a report, but that was because we had to drive a long way to get to cell reception on Hwy 6. They sent paperwork, which I filled out and sent back. I did get a call from the TCSO property crimes detective, who told me that while they didn't find any of Tyler's or my belongings on the dude - they had busted a guy whom they suspected of ~50 car prowls, as he had A LOT of ill-gotten booty in his possession when they arrested him. They thought it had to be the same guy. I was impressed.

Hillsboro PD, when my house/veh was broken into, didn't do any finger printing, hell - the cop didn't even want to take a look in the house. Just filled out a one page report, acted like I was wasting his time. Told me to call their property room occasionally to see if any of my stuff turned up (never did) to claim it. He told me "it's not like CSI, we don't actually take prints"

Anymore they only reason they print people is in case you murder someone, or turn up murdered. Other than that, they don't seem to give a damn.

GraphiteZen
Great stories, but-

/end hijack. ;)

Top Bottom