Anyone been to Big Cliff Res. lately?

troutdude
troutdude
Has anyone fished at Big Cliff lately (the reservoir below Detroit)? If so, did you have any luck?

Also...does anyone know if the boat ramp is fully open now for boating access? It was blocked OFF earlier this year.

Thank you.

B
BSTOTHERIVER
Not sure about boat ramp, I always bank fish that spot and have luck with Little Cleo spoons. Try fishing off the Dam at Detroit. Just put a sling-shot weight about 2 feet above your hook use orange power bait and drop it about 2 feet in the water where you can still see your bait and watch the trout go after it. Just make sure you only put a thumb tack size of power bait on the tip of your hook. Other wise you will never hook the hatchery fish. Good way to limit out if you don't have luck at Big Cliff. Good Luck!

troutdude
troutdude
BSTOTHERIVER said:
Not sure about boat ramp, I always bank fish that spot and have luck with Little Cleo spoons.

I'm glad to hear, that they like Little Cleo's up there. It's my go to lure everywhere I go. I have never been skunked when using them. And I usually get my limits pretty easily with them. I've gotten 5 different species with 'em now...since I started using them last season (bows, smallies, kokes, bucketmouths, and cutts).

Thanks for posting!

S
Seadogs
I live in Mill City, took a drive up to Big Cliff today, cold and windy in A.M. The ramp is blocked and a sign is posted that repairs need to be made to the dam. However the repairs have not been scheduled yet. I think this sign went up over a year ago. A phone number of 541-942-5631 will allow you to talk to a ranger. You are allowed to carry a boat down to the water. Bank fishing is still unaffected as far as I can see, hope to check it out next week.

troutdude
troutdude
Howdy Seadogs. Welcome to the forum; and thanks for the information. You rock!

All 3 of us that will be fishing up there, are 50 and over. With our bad backs and my torn rotator cuff...we'll not likely be carrying out boat into / out of the water. ;-) So, I'll probably call the rangers and see if we can get in, without lifting our boat. But, we could try it from the bank too.

Thanks again, and tight lines; TD.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I haven't been there in ages. But Autofisher's roommate, Fluffyfisherman,went last week with a friend. His friend pulled out a beautiful 22" warrior! :) He fought it for a bit before he got it to the bank for a pic,then released it unharmed. Okay,so I don't have any info...just encouragement... :) Go get 'em!!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Hi Barb, thanks for the report and the pep talk. :D

That's quite a fish! If I figure out how to catch that one, I'll release him too. Wouldn't it be cool, for a couple of us OFF'ers to repeatedly catch the same fish? :cool: