Any Updates for NF Res?

W
wozniasm
Planning on hitting it Sunday or Monday in my toon since the Bankers will be everywhere. Anyone fished it yet or is it still closed till the weekend?

B
beaverfan
It's closed till Saturday. Good luck if you make it out!

W
wozniasm
I'll be making it. I have class on Saturday but will be putting in rowing time for exercise till I can afford to register my toon.

W
wozniasm
Any idea what time the gate to the free boat launch gets opened?
Not sure if it's 6 or 7.

C
Coyote
I'll be at North Fork with a friend of mine on Sunday. Never fished there before, any advice on some of the hotspots there?

W
wozniasm
My favorite place is on the fishing dock or on the beach right next to it. This is not a the marina but before you get to it and there will be a gate you will go through. The turn off is just after mile marker 28 I think. Bring PB, worms, bobbbers and spinners so you'll have just about any way you can catch them.
Also, another good spot is right after the turn off for the fishing dock on the left about a half block. There a tunnel that goes under the highway and there's acces on either side.
Look for a maroon dodge dakota with a Buddy Christ bobble head on the dash - that's me. I also usually wear an old Georgia State ballcap.

C
Coyote
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely try out those spots on Sunday and say hi if I see you there. My friend and I will be in a blue jeep liberty and I'll probably be wearing my oregon state hat and a brown coat.

W
wozniasm
Coyote said:
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely try out those spots on Sunday and say hi if I see you there. My friend and I will be in a blue jeep liberty and I'll probably be wearing my oregon state hat and a brown coat.

My friends bailed on me so I'll be taking my toon there. Yell if you see me!

C
Coyote
Hey sorry I missed you there, my friend and I got to the dock at around 6:45 or so and it was pretty much full already over there so we went to that second place on the left and fished there for a while. After a while we were standing shoulder t shoulder with a million other people there so we moved on. We found a pretty good place a little bit left of the marina, past small fry pond, and fished a narrow stretch there without success for a few hours and then left for Harriet around noon or so where I got a small one but not much else.

I'd like to go to NF again sometime when there won't be as much of a crowd. I knew it would be crowded since it's memorial day weekend plus opening weekend, but I wanted to check it out and I'm glad I did. It's a beautiful place and I'll definitely go back soon. It looked like people were pulling in some fish there.

Hope you had better luck at NF than I did yesterday.

W
wozniasm
My friends bailed on me so it worked out for me bringing the toon.
I got there about 8 and dropped my toon in. Rowed over near the dam and trolled for a while with a few hits but no takers.
I then found a sweet spot and anchored about 10 feet from shore (bobber and worm - they wouldn't touch PB). Ended up pulling in about 20, missing about as many. They were real touchy - nibbling and pulling but they wouldn't slam it at all.
There was one guy tied to the floating barrier that was using a bobber and casting over the barrier that had some tunes going and singing - He was having a great time as well.
I was shocked and saddened that the bankers saw very few. One gal that was there for about 4 hours only saw four brought in.
Don't give up on NF. It usually produces well. Watch the stocking report and try after work on the Thursday or Friday of that week. You should do well and less crowds...

C
Coyote
Yeah I'll definitely go back in a few weeks after the activity dies down a bit. Those spots you suggested really looked good and I would have stuck with them longer had we not been swamped by the crowd. After work is always a favorite time of mine to go because I work from 5:30-2 so I pretty much have the whole afternoon to fish when I decide to go, and then I usually can have the good spots all to myself :lol:

I used PB, spinners and salmon eggs. We were going to pick up some worms on the way in but we forgot to. Sounds like I'll have to grab some before I go there again. I'm trying to get a small boat that one of my neighbors is selling, so if I'm able to get that it'll be easier to get out to some of the good spots.

I looked for your truck out there when I got there but I didn't see it, I guess because I'd left the dock area by 8. But if you ever want a fishing buddy there send me a pm.

W
wozniasm
Troutdude also mentioned using "Pautzkies"Balls o Fire 'green Label' so I'll be adding that to my list.