Any Turtles in your area?

M
MrGrey1
We have some here in our local Mill Lake in Abbotsford, B.C. Canada. They will take your hook once in a while too. We find them on the Dock, Beaches, Logs and on shores. We catch them, but we let them go.. They can sure scratch your wrists when you hold them wrong! Strong back feet I guess..
Just curious if you have them anywhere else as well.

MrGrey1

F
FishFinger
Hey McGrey, welcome to the forum. I have both family and friends and friends in Abbostford. As far as turts go.... I don't have a definitive answer. As a kid I caught a few in Northern Cali, but the last one I saw in Or/Wa was at a pet store. I'm sure other "OFF"er will have better turtle encounters to share.

H
Hawk
Welcome to the Family Brother Mr Grey1.

Sometimes i see snapping turtles & others on the creeks when i'm looking fer crawdads. Two years ago a snapper lived in my basspond all summer. They eat quite a few fish. Quite a few bull frogs live by the pond also .........................:D

O
OneMore
I once saw a whole family of them on the columbia. Just sitting on a log catching some sun. They took off when we tried to get a closer look.

D
Dichrofisher
Mt Pisgah in Eugene has some great turtle watching ponds with a bridge crossing for the whole family. They might be slow on land but try to get your camera out and catch one, definetely need a 10x or better zoom lens.

D
Dichrofisher
I would bet that in our area, if you find running water than there will be turtles. In my experiences, the smaller the water, the smaller the turtle. The creek ones were very small and colorful like the pea gravels, the lake ones are murky looking, and the pond ones can have a nice green lily pad look. Being prehistoric they are very specific to their enviros and if introduced they can wreak havock on a local population of fish and other turtles because of very specific advantages.

Troutski
Troutski
Autzen Ponds...

Autzen Ponds...

There are a group of ponds on the east side of the parking lot near MLK parkway, there be turtles in that pond. Very cool and one can sneak a picture of two, nice little preserve.

Chuck

O
Oregonchris
Turtle watching...I have to admit...I have never thought about that. I suppose a lawn chair and a cooler of beer and I could probably get into it!

Troutski
Troutski
You will need Bino's..

You will need Bino's..

Bino's will be a must, and some Beef Jerky :)

Chuck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ummmm,what?

Ummmm,what?

Troutski said:
Bino's will be a must, and some Beef Jerky :)

Chuck

"Bino's"??? Whazzat?
Barb

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I had a turtle when I was a very young child. The pet store told us it was a desert turtle but alas it wasn't. More like a water turtle... of the snapping variety. All I remember is sitting there shrieking with that little bastard hanging off my finger. :mad::mad::mad:

We traded it in for a nice friendly box turtle that ate lettuce.

W
Webwader
Sure there's turtles around here. We see them fairly often.
The first photo is on the Willamette and the second is from Brownlee Reservoir in eastern Oregon.

O
Oregonchris
GraphiteZen said:
I had a turtle when I was a very young child. The pet store told us it was a desert turtle but alas it wasn't. More like a water turtle... of the snapping variety. All I remember is sitting there shrieking with that little bastard hanging off my finger. :mad::mad::mad:

That is too funny man...first time I have laughed out loud in awhile.:D

T
trollin4trout
There are loads of them at the Ridgefield Refuge- once the sun shines and the water warms up, they'll be on the logs everywhere.

turtle-31off.jpg

Here's a six-pack from a pond near Bybee Lake in North Portland.

turtles01off.jpg

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
turtle-31off.jpg

Ha! Now that is a happy turtle!

F
Fishtopher
Turts!!

Turts!!

GraphiteZen said:

LOL! When I was 8, my grandparents had a pond in their backyard, and originally had 1 turtle in it. I distinctly remember grandma telling me to leave the turtle alone...but I was 8....

I was playing with my GI Joes, and a few He-Man guys along the edge of the pond, when Mr. Turt poked his head up right next to me. Seems he was as interested in me, as much as I with him. I thought, "well he sure looks nice..." and went to rub his head with my pointer finger. SURPRISE!! The nasty little bugger latched on and held tight as he went for the ride of his life! I swung that sucker like I was Babe Ruth swingin' for the fences! Finally he let go, and bounced off the wooden fence. Next day there were no turtles in the pond, just a few Goldfish...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ouch!

Ouch!

Fishtopher said:
LOL! When I was 8, my grandparents had a pond in their backyard, and originally had 1 turtle in it. I distinctly remember grandma telling me to leave the turtle alone...but I was 8....

I was playing with my GI Joes, and a few He-Man guys along the edge of the pond, when Mr. Turt poked his head up right next to me. Seems he was as interested in me, as much as I with him. I thought, "well he sure looks nice..." and went to rub his head with my pointer finger. SURPRISE!! The nasty little bugger latched on and held tight as he went for the ride of his life! I swung that sucker like I was Babe Ruth swingin' for the fences! Finally he let go, and bounced off the wooden fence. Next day there were no turtles in the pond, just a few Goldfish...

HaHa, that sounds like the swamps around Hermiston (eastern Oregon) where I grew up. I was about 10 the last time one of those snapping turtles latched onto me. But it was either that or the Red Ant hill I needed to jump to avoid both. I still dont trust turtles or ants! Good story. Be safe.
Barb

F
Fishtopher
Raincatcher said:
HaHa, that sounds like the swamps around Hermiston (eastern Oregon) where I grew up. I was about 10 the last time one of those snapping turtles latched onto me. But it was either that or the Red Ant hill I needed to jump to avoid both. I still dont trust turtles or ants! Good story. Be safe.
Barb

:lol:

M
MrGrey1
They must be related..

They must be related..

I mean, related to the ones we have here in Canada. They look the same.. I wonder if they also need a passport when they cross the border? I got to find their name, would be interesting to know.. When they swim, all you see is a little black triangle breaking the water.

Happy Fishing! MrGrey1

M
mikeredding
I have seen quite a few in the Delta Ponds near Valley River.